day 1 of playing -- got my ass whipped :)

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
g4merguy

day 1 of playing -- got my ass whipped :)

Post by g4merguy »

Fun game though,

have always been a big fan of these kinds of games..even re-played and beat the original lands of lore a few months back.

So I bought this game yesterday and figured I was some kind of gaming hotshot and I would fly through the content. Nope.

made it to dungeon 4 but died about four times and got stuck on a puzzle with moving portals before I called it a night. I have a few questions maybe some vets can help me out

1)Magic users -- how can you setup a default spell instead of having to click the runes each time?

2)gaining XP, my guys in the backrow are already starting to fall behind...what are the mechanics behind this?

3)Map does not show buttons/switches? Are you supposed to check every single wall to find secrets?

any anwers or other newbie tips would be appreciated.
Drax

Re: day 1 of playing -- got my ass whipped :)

Post by Drax »

g4merguy wrote:
1)Magic users -- how can you setup a default spell instead of having to click the runes each time?

2)gaining XP, my guys in the backrow are already starting to fall behind...what are the mechanics behind this?

3)Map does not show buttons/switches? Are you supposed to check every single wall to find secrets?
1)You can't.

2)It's whichever slot is involved in combat. So if the two in your back don't do anything, they don't get any XP.

3)Pretty much.
SodanKerjuu

Post by SodanKerjuu »

1) You always have to type the spell again. That is the point of the magic system, you can misclick spells in combat and trying to enchant arrows is ridiculous waste.
Luckily the melee range spells only take one rune and bolts take two, so it is not that prone to error.
Still, using magic is intended to make you miss time windows from your faster attacks.
You can prepare a spell before combat. If you close the rune window the runes stay selected next time you open it.

2) Give them something to throw. Throwing weapons always hit regarding of stats or skills so that is good way to get into XP share.
Just don't try that you hit enemies with only some of your chars. It's best if everybody deals some damage to each encounter. Somebody tested this out, can't find the thread now.

3) As a veteran dungeon crawler you should know what places look suspicious even thou everything look the same.
For clear switches you don't want to flip yet, add your own note to the map.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Drax wrote: 2)It's whichever slot is involved in combat. So if the two in your back don't do anything, they don't get any XP.
Its not true. Test yourself.
Elderian

Post by Elderian »

Hi,
Whisper wrote: Its not true. Test yourself.
Is it not? Is looks to that it is the way Drax described. The mage in my party is a little behind on EXP. I think he is, because he wasn't envolved in some battles. Holding a staff in one hand and a torch in the other is kind of bad when the mana is gone and spiders keep coming.

Elderian
NakedGranny

Post by NakedGranny »

Elderian wrote:Hi,
Whisper wrote: Its not true. Test yourself.
Is it not? Is looks to that it is the way Drax described. The mage in my party is a little behind on EXP. I think he is, because he wasn't envolved in some battles. Holding a staff in one hand and a torch in the other is kind of bad when the mana is gone and spiders keep coming.

Elderian
then you'd be well advised to drop that staff and put a spear to use...
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Use the area effect spells to soften up all the enemy at once, then the others to finish them off, then the mage will get more XP than the others after a while.

Drax wrote: 2)It's whichever slot is involved in combat. So if the two in your back don't do anything, they don't get any XP.
They do get some, currently some people think it is buggy. It sort of works, but leaves doubts.

anyway it is suppose to work like this
http://www.grimrock.net/2011/08/02/experience-classes/

but apparently works like this
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1197
Last edited by Spathi on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saice

Post by Saice »

Whisper wrote:
I believe the Thread about this issue came to show that those two in the back get half instead of none XP. And that is was also tied to the slot and not the character so there was some idea you could move people around during the fight to give everyone the full XP.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
Drax

Post by Drax »

Saice wrote:
Whisper wrote:
I believe the Thread about this issue came to show that those two in the back get half instead of none XP. And that is was also tied to the slot and not the character so there was some idea you could move people around during the fight to give everyone the full XP.
That^ is exactly right. I should've written half, not none.
g4merguy

Post by g4merguy »

great thanks for the answers.

I am now level 6 and still getting killed lots and stumped on the puzzles but having lots of fun. After playing MMOs for the last few years this game is really putting my brain to work!

one more question regarding mages

To cast a spell do I need to find a scroll that shows the combination or can I cast it if I already know? Thinking about starting over since I made my archer high in DEX >.<