Does magic skill increase spell damage?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Vichar

Does magic skill increase spell damage?

Post by Vichar »

Hi everyone,

The desscription of each magic skill (air, fire, earth, ice) says that putting points into the skills makes each "more efficient". However, this can be loosely interpreted to mean that skilling up to use the "improved" version of the main offensive spell (for example, improved ice bolt) will increase that spell's power.

(I scoured the forums for this answer, and indeed someone else asks it in another thread, but no one noticed his question amidst speculation regarding how to play solo as Toruum.)

For comparison, if you level up swords your accuracy and attack power increase. Is it likewise worthwhile to level up a spell school beyond the "improved X" spell level if you don't care about the specific perks gained after that? +100 cold resist, for just my mage, doesn't seem worth putting 50 points into, especially considering around 50 points is all he's going to get for the whole game.

Thanks!
Saice

Re: Does magic skill increase spell damage?

Post by Saice »

I am not 100% sure on damage but it seems so to me for the short time I used a mage. I do know it lowers the cost that seems to be true but it does not seem to be on a 1 for 1 sort of thing. My first mage it seemed to give breaks every 4or5 skill points or. But I could be wrong about all this I gave up on mages fairly quickly and restarted with a mageless group.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

After a while mage gets some one shot kills with all points in spell craft and ice... or at least freezes for a hit with all other weapons. = less dancing.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Similar question came to my head today. Is it worth to focus into one single school of magic or split up your points in order to get more spells (prolly not smart considering energy consumption)?

Or maybe put points into one school as long as you get best spell and then switch for Spellcraft?

I bet developers have those devilish smiles watching us users scratching our heads to figure out how did they done their well hidden mechanics. :geek:
citizengrim

Post by citizengrim »

Exiled wrote:Similar question came to my head today. Is it worth to focus into one single school of magic or split up your points in order to get more spells (prolly not smart considering energy consumption)?

Or maybe put points into one school as long as you get best spell and then switch for Spellcraft?

I bet developers have those devilish smiles watching us users scratching our heads to figure out how did they done their well hidden mechanics. :geek:
Well, I cant be bother leveling my magic spell past lvl 24 (ice magic), because after lvl 24 its just mainly added bonus to defense. So i ended up putting the rest of my points to spell craft and some to staff defense.
NakedGranny

Post by NakedGranny »

Exiled wrote:Similar question came to my head today. Is it worth to focus into one single school of magic or split up your points in order to get more spells (prolly not smart considering energy consumption)?

no.

Ice is the only skill worth leveling for mages besides 5 or 10 points into Spellcraft to equip a few specific items.

and you don't pour points into Ice for damage, either. you do it purely for freezing. hate to break it to you, but mages are just awful right now. honestly, they are not worth a slot on the party. i'm being very serious right now.

you may be tempted to branch out your skills a little bit to grab "different" spells, but don't. they are literally all the same.
Anton

Post by Anton »

I have a lvl 9 mage and I dumped nearly all his points into air magic, he deals wicked damage with that lighting bolt! :D
SodanKerjuu

Post by SodanKerjuu »

NakedGranny wrote:Ice is the only skill worth leveling for mages besides 5 or 10 points into Spellcraft to equip a few specific items.
I disagree.

Poison cloud + Door = win win win.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

SodanKerjuu wrote:
NakedGranny wrote:Ice is the only skill worth leveling for mages besides 5 or 10 points into Spellcraft to equip a few specific items.
I disagree.

Poison cloud + Door = win win win.
Thing is you don't need poison and door when you can have 4 minotaur rogues that bitchslap the entire game while you're afk.
Exiled

Post by Exiled »

Can we please get back to magic discussion and leave this op minotaur rouge stuff back? It was matter of time until someone find *OP* team build. Personally i just want to enjoy my game as an RPG and my team NEEDS mage very bad.

So i'm repeating the question, can someone confirm if leveling magic school does increase damage of this school's spells? Or maybe spells deal more damage with character level?