Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Pumpelche

Re: Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Post by Pumpelche »

The ones who complain about broken compass (needle does stand still, N-E-S-W move) should maybe not have spent their complete childhood sitting in front of a screen but joined the pathfinders or gone to wander in the mountains reading cards ;)
CrawlerJe

Post by CrawlerJe »

Whoa.. I never thought a simple question about a possible bug would end up with so many posts... Some nice info though... Here more info for those that enjoy the subject of a "compass"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass
Germ

Post by Germ »

It's amazing what we gamers,nerds and geeks can get our knickers in a twist about :)

If anyone modding the game could make me a proper Silva compass with a moveable bezel I'd appreciate it ;)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

there is no bug... the fact is the item was labeled as Compass, not direction finder. There is a difference in how the 2 items operate. A compass always points north..a direction finder always points the direction you are heading. The ingame compass works exactly as it should. I am amazed that some people do not understand how a compass works.
affa

Post by affa »

dbgager wrote:there is no bug... the fact is the item was labeled as Compass, not direction finder. There is a difference in how the 2 items operate. A compass always points north..a direction finder always points the direction you are heading. The ingame compass works exactly as it should. I am amazed that some people do not understand how a compass works.
did you even read this thread? nobody is arguing it doesn't work exactly as it should - everyone that makes that mistake initially immediately corrects themselves. the issue is that many, many people are used to the other type in games, so it feels unnatural at first, and feels 'broken'.
Batty

Post by Batty »

A sundial would be a nice addition to LoG 2.
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

I can't really imagine the other way the compass should work then it is in LoG ... I played many games of any kinds also.

EDIT: can anybody post a picture from some game, where compass is not pointing north? :)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

affa wrote:
dbgager wrote:there is no bug... the fact is the item was labeled as Compass, not direction finder. There is a difference in how the 2 items operate. A compass always points north..a direction finder always points the direction you are heading. The ingame compass works exactly as it should. I am amazed that some people do not understand how a compass works.
did you even read this thread? nobody is arguing it doesn't work exactly as it should - everyone that makes that mistake initially immediately corrects themselves. the issue is that many, many people are used to the other type in games, so it feels unnatural at first, and feels 'broken'.
To make that mistake they would have had to not understand how a compass functions in the first place.
SecretSantana

Post by SecretSantana »

Bokonon wrote:I can't really imagine the other way the compass should work then it is in LoG ... I played many games of any kinds also.

EDIT: can anybody post a picture from some game, where compass is not pointing north? :)
Seconded. I simply don't understand the issue here, can someone supply an example of where this confusion comes from?
Drax

Post by Drax »

It's kind of hard to explain, but I think I know what they mean. North is marked, but the line on the compass follows your POV. So you orient yourself by the relationship between the N and the line. Unlike a normal compass, where it's you and the line (since the line always points N).