Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Spathi

Re: Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Post by Spathi »

Several episodes of MvsW show you how to use it. Involves determining north (or a direction) and picking a distant object.

Also tips on how to eat bugs and rats and use a suppository hose to drink water polluted by bird poop (personal favorite).
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Kthanid wrote:As such, please see my prior question and explain to me how old school mappers are supposed to determine which direction is North without the compass to show the way?
Maybe you don't realise but North, East, South and West originated from the way the sun would rise and set. Not the magnetic pole.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

King Semos wrote:Maybe you don't realise but North, East, South and West originated from the way the sun would rise and set. Not the magnetic pole.
Maybe you don't realize, in the context we're discussing here, the individuals in question are underground in an dungeon that, as far as I have seen in the 13 levels I've explored, have no access to view the sky above.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

But it's late and I'll just go ahead and back out of this debate... You are all absolutely correct. The compass is a broken marine compass, not a standard magnetic compass, it was only included as a joke. Fortunately these lonely prisoners have the correct foresight to always pick up every shred of mapping parchment with magnetic north at the top and their supernatural skills of cartography are beyond explanation. Happy trails! :)
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Kthanid wrote:
King Semos wrote:Maybe you don't realise but North, East, South and West originated from the way the sun would rise and set. Not the magnetic pole.
Maybe you don't realize, in the context we're discussing here, the individuals in question are underground in an dungeon that, as far as I have seen in the 13 levels I've explored, have no access to view the sky above.
:lol: . Thought you were talking about actual maps in history. Because when I said left on a map means west, I was talking about standard maps today.....
Kthanid wrote:But it's late and I'll just go ahead and back out of this debate... You are all absolutely correct. The compass is a broken marine compass, not a standard magnetic compass, it was only included as a joke. Fortunately these lonely prisoners have the correct foresight to always pick up every shred of mapping parchment with magnetic north at the top and their supernatural skills of cartography are beyond explanation. Happy trails! :)
That's a bit immature, we aren't disagreeing that the compass works or not. It works just fine. You are disagreeing with the fact that our logic and our thought process lead us to briefly think the compass was broken. You are on the side that it wasn't logic and that we are just stupid.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I think he started arguing that the characters in the game could not possibly create a map, lol wtf

You could pretend, when they go thrown into the hole, they saw more mold was growing on the south wall of the pit they were thrown into. OMG, there was no hole in the roof, wtf how did they get in the room... can of worms

If you want to look past that, you could pretend, the characters in the game were mapping for you using the compass or magic.
Last edited by Spathi on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Spathi wrote:I think he started arguing that the characters in the game could not possibly create a map, lol wtf

Yeah, the literal part took me off guard too lol.....

*edit.
Kthanid wrote:as far as I have seen in the 13 levels I've explored, have no access to view the sky above.
Level 5, Hallways. In the room with the trap door floor. Moon light, case closed.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I just googled a bit, and a compass may not always point magnetic north.. they point "cave magnetic north", lol
U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service wrote:Magnetic compasses may not reliably indicate a “true” magnetic North in a cave, due to mass effects and anomalies present in the rock mass surrounding the cave space. They will, however, typically read a consistent “North” within any given cave region.
Baroque

Post by Baroque »

Is it really that hard to figure out? There are only 4 directions to face in this game. Note which direction the compass points when you face each of those 4 directions, and associate the 4 images of the compass with each NSEW direction you can face. Done.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Nobody is saying they can not do that (after each first post) in these threads though. Basically the rest is semi-unrelated flames and trash talk.