Please not mods/DLCs

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Greco

Please not mods/DLCs

Post by Greco »

Mods and DLCs is a modern feature in gaming. But I am not sure it will work with old school games like Grimrock. Grimrock is not just hacking and slashing, it's after all puzzles. An I don't thing that fan based mods would add much to this. I would rather prefer a sequel, directly from the original development team. A trilogy would be ideal! And from what I remember every classic game (adventure or rpg) that had a sequel, this sequel superseded the first installment. (EOB, CSB, Baldur's Gate, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle), whenever the original team was involved in the sequel as well. So please, do not give the engine to the public please make a sequel!

What do other people think?
r3sistance

Re: Please not mods/DLCs

Post by r3sistance »

I'd look at the rogue like games and disagree heavily... there were lots of games based off it and games based off of that. Moria also is published under GNU public license which allows people to modify and extend the game massively; Also as there is no randomly generated dungeons, user-generated content is about the best thing for extending the life-span of the game. Mods would allow for more environments like outside environments (assuming they don't work right now already, I haven't looked into it) and so I think mods certainly would work well as well as user generated maps.

The main thing with Mods and DLC at the end of the day is that they are optional...
seebs

Post by seebs »

Frankly, I think you're insane. Modding does not prevent the devs from building maps, it creates an additional source of interest and thus funding. If you don't like player-made maps, you don't have to play them, but the fact is, the modern world is full of people who could make interesting puzzles. And I think the devs deserve a chance to play through a map or three of their lovely engine with puzzles that are new to them. :)
Sirushimo

Post by Sirushimo »

This game needs more classes, races, spells and all that things, just that. =) More variety.
mrgaming4cheap

Post by mrgaming4cheap »

I am doing an LP of this game and I want to see the developer do more maps for this game. If I decide to do an LP of another map then I don't want to risk getting a busted map made by a fan. Can you imagine an LPer putting up 20 episodes just to find a game breaking bug? And I don't mind paying for maps either. The developers are trying to put food on their table just like every one else. If I have to shell out a few dollars to play a new map then so be it.
Greco

Post by Greco »

I don't know guys. Perhaps it is the fact that my free time is limited and I barely find some to play some games, so spending time on building mods would be impossible from me. But I fear that these type of development is more suitable for a FPS or modern RPGs, which lack puzzling. Good puzzling needs spending too much in designing. Making a challenging puzzle many times requires several hours of thought. I don't doubt that there are there many people who can make interesting puzzles, but are these people willing to spend so much time? Perhaps you are right and I am wrong. Honestly, do you have any case of MOD/DLC for games other than puzzleless FPS and modern RPGs?
To put things in place, the main reason I disagree with moding is that I fear that it would make the original team indifferent to making a sequel!
Saice

Post by Saice »

Greco wrote:Good puzzling needs spending too much in designing. Making a challenging puzzle many times requires several hours of thought. I don't doubt that there are there many people who can make interesting puzzles, but are these people willing to spend so much time?
Many many old school table top GMs would like to have words with you. We have no problems dumping hours or days into building clever puzzles and challenges that are going to be seen once and never heard of again. So I do not think all Fan made dungeons are going to be slap dash crap feasts. Just like any Modding community you will have a few good modders it will just take some time. Check out some of the stuff made by fans for Neverwinter knights trust me given a decent set of modding tools there will be some good fan made dungeons.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
r3sistance

Post by r3sistance »

mrgaming4cheap wrote:I am doing an LP of this game and I want to see the developer do more maps for this game. If I decide to do an LP of another map then I don't want to risk getting a busted map made by a fan. Can you imagine an LPer putting up 20 episodes just to find a game breaking bug? And I don't mind paying for maps either. The developers are trying to put food on their table just like every one else. If I have to shell out a few dollars to play a new map then so be it.
I don't agree with you, there are lots of LPs for minecraft and they still work, heck even yogscast have dealt with a few maps that had some map breaking bugs that they have managed to not only handle, they actually used it to their advantage... I remember one where there was a room that was designed to self-destruct but a creeper blew up, blowing the room up prematurely.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Greco wrote:I don't know guys. Perhaps it is the fact that my free time is limited and I barely find some to play some games, so spending time on building mods would be impossible from me. But I fear that these type of development is more suitable for a FPS or modern RPGs, which lack puzzling. Good puzzling needs spending too much in designing. Making a challenging puzzle many times requires several hours of thought. I don't doubt that there are there many people who can make interesting puzzles, but are these people willing to spend so much time? Perhaps you are right and I am wrong. Honestly, do you have any case of MOD/DLC for games other than puzzleless FPS and modern RPGs?
All the games people used to make for FRUA were not exactly "modern" RPGs, there's also the tiny detail of, say, half the D&D games ever run.

How much time or effort it takes to make puzzles is related in part to how much time you spend doing it.

Anyway, worst case, the mods aren't really fun for you. So what? The devs put in some work and get a ton of money for it from people who wanted to make mods, and that funds more development. You still win.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

Please DO include mods and DLCs. It's a modern feature all right, but so are high resolutions, orchestral scores, etc. Oh and we live in modern times.

Anyone who disagrees is most welcome to not download mods and not buy DLCs.