Calling Shenanigans on the 12 hour finish people

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Saice

Re: Calling Shenanigans on the 12 hour finish people

Post by Saice »

urughak wrote: did you guys use walkthroughs and such or actually figure it all out on your own?
Two things while my play time is listed as 13 hours I would assume it is really more like 16-20 due to reloads and I did restart after level 3 because I did not like my first party.

But other then googling what the deal was with the "this level is sealed" because I was positive I was missing some button or something to get into that level I figured out everything else on my own. They did a real good job of dropping hints to there puzzles. There was a few puzzles that had me trying brute force (im looking at you two buttons one leaver) or just had to really sit down and try some random stuff before I made the logic leap needed (Long hallway how I hated my time with you).
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

I only had problems with that puzzle that requires to drop an item through a cell, I didn't know it was possible so I had to look for a solution on the internet. As I've already said sometimes the game is more about pressing that random hidden switch or getting the right timing for a timed puzzle rather than solving riddles in a smart way.
SecretSantana

Post by SecretSantana »

I'm at 32 hours and on level 6. Boy, I'm slow! Enjoying every minute, though, and it appears I get more of this enjoyment!

Oops, that's the Steam time listed. In-game it says 10:30.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

I'm at 19.5 ( game time )hours on level 8. I do not understand why some people do not want to experience all the content, and everything the game has to offer.
Saice

Post by Saice »

gasgas wrote:I only had problems with that puzzle that requires to drop an item through a cell, I didn't know it was possible so I had to look for a solution on the internet. As I've already said sometimes the game is more about pressing that random hidden switch or getting the right timing for a timed puzzle rather than solving riddles in a smart way.
Understandable. I believe the issue there was it is one of those assumed things you can do in these sorts of things. Like how you know there is going to be a Zoom/Ironsights button in any FPS and most likely in the same place as most others.
SpoilerShow
Just like how you can destroy the banners on the temple levels. It is just one of them standard dungeon crawler things you can do.
I think what threw me off a bit was the assumed things that were not in the game.
SpoilerShow
Like knocking on walls to find fake ones or being able to break down doors.
But I got over those the game over all was a blast and the engine does what it needs to and does it well.

also
dbgager wrote:I'm at 19.5 ( game time )hours on level 8. I do not understand why some people do not want to experience all the content, and everything the game has to offer.
You can experience all the content vary well in less time. I missed only 9 secrets and uncovered about 99% of the map so I feel I got all the content I could on my first play through.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

dbgager wrote:I'm at 19.5 ( game time )hours on level 8. I do not understand why some people do not want to experience all the content, and everything the game has to offer.
Well some people, me included don't like to look at every single wall for random hidden switches, after a while it gets boring. I just gave a quick look if the room seems interesting or suspicious and then I moved on, or investigated some areas if I had found hints or notes around, but i don't stare at walls for hours it kills the fun for me, (also gives me headache considering the constant head bobbing when you move).
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

Playing well, and taking a bit of time to look around I managed to get to the end of the game in 13 or 14 hours on the clock with nearly 60 secrets. That was taking the time to appreciate the game and look for secrets, so I wouldn't consider it a "speedrun". Those finishing with only 20 secrets or so I do feel missed out on something but then again they left a lot to discover on the 2nd run.
Mr.Monopoly

Post by Mr.Monopoly »

Thats very cynical of you to say, and very opinionated without much proof, they probably did complete it in that time, they just missed a lot of secrets and items, right now on my second run i have 5 hours and I'm at level 8, so it's not hard to believe they did it in 12 hours.

And they didn't do it on purpose to get legit mlg scores and finish before there friends, they did it because thats just the way they played the first time, by accidentally skipping a lot of puzzles and secrets.
Scase

Post by Scase »

Meh 14-15 hours 50/71 secrets 15/16 toorums notes and 5 skulls, I'd say I didn't miss a whole lot. The game isn't terribly long if you WANT to spend 30+hours on it, the great thing about games like this is you CAN but you don't HAVE to.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Some people start on Easy and rush game. Not solving any challenging puzzle themselves (looking guides on the net).

Well they can enjoy as they like, but dont think such medal "i rushed game" exists.