Frustrated as all get go ...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Fargol

Frustrated as all get go ...

Post by Fargol »

... but loving it.

I'm not sure why either. I normally HATE timed puzzles and combat where I have to dance around.

Yet ... I find the combat compelling (as long as I don't wind up stuck in a corner), and it's very satisfying to beat one of those groups of 4 spearmen or bowmen without taking a single hit.

A few things bother me a little (nothing even remotely game-breaking) ...

.Timed puzzles. Hate them. With a passion. But as mentioned before, they're not killing me as much as I expected. Then again, I'm only on level 4 ...

. I would like to map the attacks to keys rather than have to click the mouse. I suppose having them mappable would create a situation where all you have to is spam the crap out of them, but since it's usually not a good idea to go toe-to-toe, that might not be a viable strategy.

. On level 4 and the tileset hasn't changed at all, but I would expect it to eventually.

Great game. 4.5 / 5 (for timed puzzles).
r3sistance

Re: Frustrated as all get go ...

Post by r3sistance »

Textures change on... I believe level 5... this game is as much a puzzle game as it is a RPG.

I'm not sure that keybind would work with the way mage is designed to work and the way the keys are bound in my opinion would make it very easy to port this game to the mobile market. Not so well for consoles but if they did that then mage would need some re-design work for consoles anyways as selecting runes wouldn't work too well mid battle.
MASKOAA

Post by MASKOAA »

Haven't tested it on all enemies but on certain ones like the floating flamers if you don't spam all four characters attack then you can time it right so that by the time you get back to the first character your ready to attack again but this doesn't happen till later when your stats are higher combined with hidden items. The enemies I tried this on always get a moment of stun so they never get to attack so it is possible to not take any damage when in a corner.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

unless you miss and lose the pace
NakedGranny

Post by NakedGranny »

Fargol wrote:.Timed puzzles. Hate them. With a passion. But as mentioned before, they're not killing me as much as I expected. Then again, I'm only on level 4 ...
Oh, just you wait...
Fargol wrote:. On level 4 and the tileset hasn't changed at all, but I would expect it to eventually.
It does. Whatever depth you think the game is lacking, just you wait until you get down in there...

Except for Mages. They just suck all throughout.