Back again

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Orthocone

Re: Back again

Post by Orthocone »

All went well .... until "The Vault".

I died within the Herder-Room. Hell, 2 characters died so fast, I wasn't able to look around in this time intervall. 4 little poison spitters and 2 Redcaps. It looked for a second like I stood in the middle of a crossfire. Of course I made a big mistake. I gave the frost bombs to the guy without the serpent bracers. And my lightning guy was the second one who died. Bad luck, too. It's a very difficult room, it seems. I needed four reloads until I won the first time.

At saturday I'll start a new game.
Lundspoul

Post by Lundspoul »

When it comes down to timed puzzles I made it on the level 6 "Fire Room", but was completely unable to beat the challenge at the level 7 iron door... I was playing on a way below-spec (graphic card 64 mb onboard) laptop with all settings set at low....
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Lundspoul wrote:When it comes down to timed puzzles I made it on the level 6 "Fire Room", but was completely unable to beat the challenge at the level 7 iron door... I was playing on a way below-spec (graphic card 64 mb onboard) laptop with all settings set at low....
It's a tough challenge some can't do even with a high-end PC. Re-try it once your party got stronger.
Orthocone

Post by Orthocone »

Second game. This time I reached Goromorg Temple II. There I made some bad movements, got caught in a corner and killed by Goromorgs. I even think I had won the fight, if those guys didn't have someting like a magic shield for a time. Killed one but the second made "Game Over".

A worse feature of the game (sorry) : How should I've know that I had to remove the lightnig bolt scroll from the alcove? I looked at it, didn't need the scroll and put it back. (Had to look into a walkthrough to find it out.) If It's only for an item,I wouldn't not have mentioned this yet but this was essential for the game. Also the surprise that I needed arrows to open a door. I had to return two levels up to find some quarrels.

The party (all human) was

Front : Rogue Dagger ; Rogue Unarmed
Back : Rogue Throwing ; Mage (Fire and Air for Invisibility)

This party was nearly perfect. Those ice lizards rarly hit me and those Uggardians were helpless. I really wish I did't hit the wrong movement keys ....

But : "All good things come in threes."
Komag

Post by Komag »

Why do you keep starting over? :?:
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Orthocone

Post by Orthocone »

I never reload if a party dies. IMO it's cheating. I only reload after a crash.

It's much more fun winning a game this way ;) .
Komag

Post by Komag »

I can see avoiding the use of quick save/load, but the save crystals are part of the in-game lore, at least using those surely wouldn't be cheating? Although I suppose there is that option of using crystals once-only.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

One option is to observe an Ironman mode. Where you treat the crystals as single use, and as your only chance to save the game. Mark them off on the map once they are used.

This would be very difficult, yet it would allow you to reload at your last visit to a crystal. This kind of Ironman mode is built into LoG2, and that's how I played my first party in LoG2... and it took me about three months to complete the game. :o
(But it was always a game full of intense play sessions.)
Orthocone

Post by Orthocone »

I had this discussion often during my last 25 RPG-years ...

I don't need options. I simply decide to play it my way and that's it. My will is the best "option menue" that exists :) .
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Orthocone wrote:I had this discussion often during my last 25 RPG-years ...
I don't need options. I simply decide to play it my way and that's it. My will is the best "option menue" that exists :) .
:lol: But man - that method of playing... don't you have a ton of RPG games that you don't get to play, or stack up, because you're constantly reloading one?

Especially in RPGs where you get to a (final) boss fight... Because then you've gone all that way, and have a pretty good chance at death...
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.