For those that beat the game. Let's get some basic stats

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
marcuz99

Re: For those that beat the game. Let's get some basic stats

Post by marcuz99 »

Finished! What a great game!

I missed one secret, I don't know which one yet, since apparently on my maps I haven't signaled 3 or 4 of them.

I've also used some tips from this board about the puzzles, and in the case of the last level even the walkthrough, as I was too scared by the final boss.

All in all I guess that the 90% of the secrets I've found without help, and I'm pretty happy abut having figured by myself the hall of fire area and secrets.

I've grinded a bit there too, backtracking from lover levels, to get enough points in armor for my axe fighter to stand the fighter challenge and later on, again just to round up my level score, and I had to do it there with the Uggardians/Snails/Legionaries as I lost sight of where the Ice lizards were escaped in the temple level so I could not farm them.

So I ended up with my two main fighters at level 16, and the rogue and mage at level 15 each, in only 25 hours. Not bad!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

marcuz99 wrote: So I ended up with my two main fighters at level 16, and the rogue and mage at level 15 each, in only 25 hours. Not bad!
Woah level 15's and 16's? That's pretty hardcore! :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

Darklord wrote:
marcuz99 wrote: So I ended up with my two main fighters at level 16, and the rogue and mage at level 15 each, in only 25 hours. Not bad!
Woah level 15's and 16's? That's pretty hardcore! :P

Daniel.
Well it helps I have the flu this week :)
jansaresinas

Post by jansaresinas »

play time: 21:54 (real time i would guess about 27 or so hours)
monsters killed: 485
items found: 598
secrets: 48/71
treasures: 4/7
notes: 13/16
skulls: 5
iron doors: 5
tiles: 28536
melee: 3484
ranged: 683
spells: 887
potions: 49

played on normal with automap, with human fighter (sword), lizard rogue (dagger), human rogue (thrown), insect mage (fire/earth). everyone ended on lvl 13, with the front guys about 500exp away from lvl 14.

the human back row rogue was terrible, i dont know how it was so bad, has decent str/dex but was doing basically nothing all day.

the mage i realised the fire/earth combo is not so good, should have specialized in either. i liked the magic system even if a little cumbersome. at least you get decent enhancing artifacts by lvl 8/9 for these, so the end game doesnt feel like a waste

the front two kind of behaved as expected.

back to questions:
1. play time 22h, real time 27h
2. didnt look for help at any time on the forum
3. not very complete, i left a lot of places scratching my head, but didnt really find it upsetting, going to be more thorough on my next run
4. all lvl 13, didnt really know what to expect in terms of skill developement so i went with tuttifrutti mix until lvl 6 when it dawned on me that that was really not going to work... managed to stay alive nonetheless.
5. i rate it 9/10, its everything i would want and have been waiting for since about... stonekeep or even menzoberranzan. was missing some more logic puzzles (well, all of them were easy... i guess its cause one gets to know how entities that designed the puzzles think if you spend your life perfecting the art of dungeon crawling). also a little more 'social' interaction, of any sorts would be just great, torrum and mr. dreamy dont count.

starting second walkthru on hard with lizard/human rogue party. hope all goes well ;)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Just finished, here's mine:
Might not be entirely accurate, as this from just before making my final attacks on the final boss. Didn't save after killing him (doh!).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Saice

Post by Saice »

You know... just came to mind. I wonder if any devs are watching this thread.

Becuase it is full of the sort of information one would datamine to judge how well the goals set in develpoment actuly panned out in Live play.

Like was 10-15 hours really the avagre they were aiming for. That sort of thing.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

Saice wrote:You know... just came to mind. I wonder if any devs are watching this thread.

Becuase it is full of the sort of information one would datamine to judge how well the goals set in develpoment actuly panned out in Live play.

Like was 10-15 hours really the avagre they were aiming for. That sort of thing.
That's pretty interesting actually.
A consideration you just made me do is that, in a way, the three stage difficulty, that in contemporary games has become usual, is maybe making a game as such too general in the player experience.

For instance older paragons of the genre forced the player to be more specific in handling the threats the hostiles pose, or were in complex more difficult, and therefore rewarding.

15 hours for the first run (internet help notwithstanding), while I suppose quite normal these days for a game of this scope, is very short a time in respect of a puzzle-easier game such as Eye of the Beholder.

I suspect that this should factor in also the unavoidable lesser depth of background and legacy, the somewhat lesser variety, and lack of compartmentalization that Grimrock has in respect of EoB (I say this without aiming to diminish LoG, that I think a great game nevertheless) but I think that by dividing the game in objectives (secrets, notes, treasures) and providing a scalable difficulty some of the experience of dungeon lurking becomes lost in the process.
Maybe it's just taste.

Still, I wonder me too what the reaction to these stats would be, in regards of their aims.
Saice

Post by Saice »

[quote="marcuz99]15 hours for the first run (internet help notwithstanding), while I suppose quite normal these days for a game of this scope, is very short a time in respect of a puzzle-easier game such as Eye of the Beholder.

I suspect that this should factor in also the unavoidable lesser depth of background and legacy, the somewhat lesser variety, and lack of compartmentalization that Grimrock has in respect of EoB (I say this without aiming to diminish LoG, that I think a great game nevertheless) but I think that by dividing the game in objectives (secrets, notes, treasures) and providing a scalable difficulty some of the experience of dungeon lurking becomes lost in the process.
Maybe it's just taste.

Still, I wonder me too what the reaction to these stats would be, in regards of their aims.[/quote]

Well to me 15 hours for 15 dallors is a fair trade in my book.

But just all sorts of things. Looking over comepltions stats and end game party make up. Was their goals in line with what the data shows? And if so how if any impact would this have on their designs going foward in new content?
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Saice wrote: Like was 10-15 hours really the avagre they were aiming for. That sort of thing.
Bear in mind this isn't the total play time as it doesn't include time spent dying and reloading. e.g. When you die after 5 minutes then go back to your last save. One player I know had 17 hours on the final clock, but when they checked the steam clock they had actually been playing for 63 hours! :P

Just shows what a difference it makes. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Theros

Post by Theros »

1.18:49 h, ~23h real time. Hard difficulty(where is the insane difficulty? :).

2. I used the forum for the fighters challange door(I had dagger and mace in the front line, how was I suppose to know I needed to bring that inferior weapon with me?) and one puzzle in the temple.

3. About 95% complete I guess. 62/71 secrets, 4/7 treasurs, 5 skulls, 9 irondoors. killed all the creaturs I could get my hands. I didn't find out untill lvl3-5 that falling through traps didnt mean instadeath so I guess I missed some secrets there... Will check that out in the next run ;)

4. human rouge lvl 14, minotaur fighter lvl 13, insect mage lvl 13 and lizard rouge lvl 13.

5. I really liked this game. 10 of 10. Love to play a modern game that ain't easy even though u play on hard.