Options for Frustration Reduction and Age/Ability Fairness

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
mike30542

Re: Options for Frustration Reduction and Age/Ability Fairne

Post by mike30542 »

I will be 70 next month & thoroughly enjoying the game so far. So far I have managed to cope with the combat but I cannot get to grips with circling around mobs so they can't hit me & have to resort to standing toe to toe & where possible closing a door between me & the mobs while I heal up. I am concerned though that such tactics will not work on lower levels & I'll be forced to quit playing out of frustration. I'm playing on normal difficulty & I guess I could swap to easy mode which may help with combat but will not with the timed puzzles.
To those who say there are easy games I could be playing & who have found LoG too easy, you have the option to play "old school mode" which ramps up your difficulty plus option of playing with less than a full party. Someone also said I should not play LoG if I can't cope - but I want to play LoG not other games. I do not expect or want the whole game to be "dumbed down" but an OPTION which addressed my ( and other players' ) difficulties would be welcome.
Beastman666

Post by Beastman666 »

I have to agree with the op.

I'm 41, too. currently playing at level 9. so far i have managed to do all timed-puzzles. some of them after many failures. the one thing i realised it has become harder for me: my reaction has slowed. some ten years ago i was definately faster.

i can't even image how handicapped people and those using the mouse-panels are able to solve these things...

so, request supported...
Stalkingwolf

Post by Stalkingwolf »

Darklord wrote:
Jack Dandy wrote: What dungeon crawler would you recommend for people with slightly slower reactions? This sub-genre isn't that popular any more you know! (May change after LoG of course)
none. i think the should play a round based RPG.
i do not unterstand, why people always want to change a game so it does 100% fit to there gamestyle. If does not fit, try to change yourself, or quit play it.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
cryocore

Post by cryocore »

the timed puzzles are designed to be that way. If you cant deal with them for what ever reason thats your issue not the games.

one handed man wants to play with a Rubik's Cube, but cant because he lacks the ability to manipulate the puzzle. he has no right to demand it to be changed to better suit him as it not only defeats the purpose of the puzzle but assumes that everyone should be accommodated for which is a fallacy because its impossible to cater to everyone. In short if you find the game too hard turn down the difficulty. If its still too hard then thats your problem dont make it mine, or anyone else who actually likes being challenged.

Age and disability will exclude people from certain activities its a shame but thats life. Pandering to the masses is what is destroying gaming. Now if people get stuck, or find something difficult its labelled 'too hard' or 'poorly balanced' its a cop out.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Stalkingwolf wrote: none. i think the should play a round based RPG.
i do not unterstand, why people always want to change a game so it does 100% fit to there gamestyle. If does not fit, try to change yourself, or quit play it.
I love LOL, EOB and DM and have played them all several times over the years, but I and others like me should just quit playing LoG?

Thanks for your suggestion but no. :lol:

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

cryocore wrote:he has no right to demand it to be changed to better suit him as it not only defeats the purpose of the puzzle but assumes that everyone should be accommodated for which is a fallacy because its impossible to cater to everyone. In short if you find the game too hard turn down the difficulty.
Sigh, I do try to be nice but some people make it very difficult. There are no demands here.

2nd and this will be the last time I repeat this particular point.

Turning down the difficulty does not effect the timed puzzles, our simple suggestiion is that maybe it could or that a seperate option, could be added.

OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING DOWN, how could we suggest something so outrageous?! :shock: :roll:

It's a simple suggestion, if you don't like it, get over it and stop having a go at those aren't as blessed with super fast reactions as yourself.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
mrmike49

Post by mrmike49 »

buffyoa wrote:the further i progress the more i get disappointed by LOG. it starts feeling more like playing prince of persia than an rpg. i used to love dungeon crawlers cause of the puzzles and riddles but surely not for finger speed competition.
It is starting to get annoying: too many tough twitch tests and monsters too fast - they attack faster than I can move.

I'm on level 3 and have run into a twitch test I can NOT beat: the one where you press button that closes 2 pits, have to run over to 2nd pit, turn around and press button. I managed the rotating teleporter after a dozen tries, but this 2 pit one has me stuck. (that and the 3 spiders after another twitch test gate unlock). I might have been able to get it IF they at least used the same height of button, but they didn't :(
Myeka

Post by Myeka »

I suggest you should wait for the level editor, and there will be plenty of good dungeons with no timed-puzzles in it (or maybe easy ones). This game system is a goldmine, I already came up with dozens of puzzles I didn't encounter in the game and I'm sure a lot of people already came up with some of their own. I think the editor will be released way before the option you're suggesting and so (almost) everyone will be happy :)
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

You people who are saying things like.... get over it, if you don't like it go play something else, or, why should the game be changed to suit all you old people, etc.... need to just back off!

The conversation here was centered around asking that there be options, read that...OPTIONS.... to lower the difficulty for people that cannot do some of the timed quests.
They were not insisting that the game be totally changed for everyone.

Some of the posts have stated that they want the game to be even harder. You don't see them getting abused because they want to change the game do you?
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

mrmike49 wrote:It is starting to get annoying: too many tough twitch tests and monsters too fast - they attack faster than I can move.

I'm on level 3 and have run into a twitch test I can NOT beat: the one where you press button that closes 2 pits, have to run over to 2nd pit, turn around and press button. I managed the rotating teleporter after a dozen tries, but this 2 pit one has me stuck....
I struggled with this also. Here is how I solved it (but not shure, if I just had luck):
SpoilerShow
First I switched off all torch light, to reduce lag.
Then I dropped ALL equipment (no need to be shy because of nakedness in a Dungeon).
Managed it now on the second try.
I'm not really sure if equipment load affects movement speed, so I don't claim this.
Try out and see, if it helps.