massive profit?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
PistolSlap

massive profit?

Post by PistolSlap »

Wikipedia says you've sold over 900,000 copies of this game. At $24 a copy, that equals $13,500,000. Is that true that your four-man team has made thirteen million dollars? How much of that do you each get to put in your pocket?
Not trying to be nosy here, I'm just kind of flabberghasted a small indie company can make that much off their first commercial game!
petri

Re: massive profit?

Post by petri »

Well, unfortunately not quite so! Without going into specific numbers, the average revenue from a copy is a lot less than that. Grimrock 1 base price is $14.99 in Steam. Distributors take their share (30%), lots of copies are sold in sales with large percentage off the base price, Humble Bundle copies are cheaper... Then there's the tax system which takes a lion's share of the profit (first the company pays taxes and then we as individuals).

Note that I'm not complaining at all. We're doing quite ok and most importantly we can stay self-funded and keep making games the way we want, but we are nowhere filthy rich.
TZO2k12

Re: massive profit?

Post by TZO2k12 »

petri wrote:Well, unfortunately not quite so! Without going into specific numbers, the average revenue from a copy is a lot less than that. Grimrock 1 base price is $14.99 in Steam. Distributors take their share (30%), lots of copies are sold in sales with large percentage off the base price, Humble Bundle copies are cheaper... Then there's the tax system which takes a lion's share of the profit (first the company pays taxes and then we as individuals).

Note that I'm not complaining at all. We're doing quite ok and most importantly we can stay self-funded and keep making games the way we want, but we are nowhere filthy rich.
Good to hear, I would really hate it if your company went the same route as other talented companies went (Bows head for Shiny/Interplay) plus you're living in one of the best nations that humans have so far devised, so you're already filthy rich! 8-)
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.