Grimrock v1.1.1 & new iCloud saves

Talk about anything related to the iOS version of Legend of Grimrock 1.
sz19622015

Grimrock v1.1.1 & new iCloud saves

Post by sz19622015 »

Exactly how does this work? There is no info in the app itself and only a few lines mentioning the new feature on the App Store with zero specifics...

System specs:
1. iPad mini 2, iOS 8.4
2. iPad Air 2, iOS 8.4
3. iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Here's what I've tried:

1. Updated existing Grimrock (4 different save games were on the device) to v1.1.1 on iPad mini 2 (iCloud Drive & storing documents & data in iCloud for Grimrock was also already enabled)
2. On the iPad Air 2, signed in to the same Apple ID/iCloud Drive used on the mini 2 above, enabled iCloud Drive along with storing documents & data in iCloud for Grimrock, installed Grimrock 1.1.1 (clean install, no previous data)
3. Ran Grimrock on iPad Air 2 however game data from iPad mini 2 was nowhere to be seen to load on the main menu. The game reacted like there were no save games on it and started a new game for me

How the heck does this work? Does the second device need to be an iPhone? I have not tried this since it seems any compatible iOS device should be able to pick up the save games if they are in iCloud Drive and you're signed into the same Apple ID/iCloud drive

Do you need to have Game Center enabled (I do not)

I even tried to access the game data using iTunes File Sharing but Grimrock is not enabled in that regard.

More info is needed here along with instructions how to get this feature working.
petri

Re: Grimrock v1.1.1 & new iCloud saves

Post by petri »

Icloud uses separate save slots. Tap the cloud symbol in load/save dialog and save your game. Then on another device, hit the cloud icon again and you should see all your cloud saves. Cloud save slots are blue (normal ones grey). Hope this helps!
KuRi

Post by KuRi »

Is this already available?

If yes, many thanks! you saved my day! XD

P.D: Congratulations for the game, I am addicted now :)
sz19622015

Post by sz19622015 »

petri wrote:Icloud uses separate save slots. Tap the cloud symbol in load/save dialog and save your game. Then on another device, hit the cloud icon again and you should see all your cloud saves. Cloud save slots are blue (normal ones grey). Hope this helps!
I figured it would be something obvious like you describe, however, I have NO cloud symbol save slots in my load/save dialog to save to. When the game is installed from scratch and I start a new game, then play for a bit and save the game, I again have NO cloud symbol save slots to save to, nor to load from as a result. When I save the game, I get the regular "Game saved" message, then go back out to the main menu, then Load Game & all I get is a list of save games that are apparently only on the device since they are all grey...no "blue" cloud save slots are to be seen anywhere in the dialog.

I am verified online and signed in to iCloud and have iCloud Drive turned on with Grimrock selected for saving documents and data in iCloud.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Can someone try this new feature and report back with their results? It sure is NOT working on my end...I've now tried three different devices, an iPad mini 2, an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 5s (all under iOS 8.4), all with new installations, all on different Apple IDs just to test to see if the feature is even available and have since lost my on-device saves (deleted the app, then re-installed losing all on-device saves) testing this feature... :roll: I am never given any option to save a slot to iCloud, hence no blue load slot ever appears in the load game dialog.
sz19622015

Post by sz19622015 »

Last edited by sz19622015 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sz19622015

Post by sz19622015 »

OK, I've now found the "cloud" icon at the very bottom of the "load" and "save" dialog boxes (on the iPad), to the left of "Load" and "Cancel" buttons...if you don't know this icon is there, it can be very hard to see...I certainly didn't see it next to the very obvious Load button. Maybe this cloud icon can be brightened up a bit in it's non-activated state so it's not as camouflaged and to match the visibility of the other buttons...

Now to start my game again from scratch... :roll:
Last edited by sz19622015 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KuRi

Post by KuRi »

Hey sz19622015,

you have exactly the same devices I have (mini 2, air 2, 5s) XD
I will try this feature as soon as I go back to home this afternoon.

Did it work for you? Why do you say you have to start from scratch?

Thanks,
Regards.
sz19622015

Post by sz19622015 »

KuRi wrote: Did it work for you? Why do you say you have to start from scratch?
It worked fine for me after I found the camouflaged "cloud" icon.

I have to start from scratch because in the process of testing all manner of things to get this to work (before I found that camouflaged "cloud" icon), I deleted the Grimrock app from the device which of course deletes all of it's save data. My last iPad backup (mini 2, which I began the game on and was the only device I played the game on) made in iTunes was just before Grimrock was initially released. An iCloud backup of the mini was made after all of this testing so my earlier backup with the Grimrock saves no longer exists since it was overwritten.

I believe I was on level 3 or 4. At least now I can play with the knowledge that I can now move my save data between devices. You do need to temporarily sign in to the same Apple ID to access the save made on the other device...I'll outline briefly below how to transfer from one device, one Apple ID (ID1) to a second device, second Apple ID (ID2)

*Note that this is only necessary if you use different Apple IDs (for iCloud & iCloud Drive) for your different devices*

1. Be sure to update Grimrock on all devices
2. Be sure iCloud drive is enabled on both devices

3. From device 1, ID1, load your desired save game
4. Save your game to iCloud using the iCloud icon

5. From device 2, ID2, sign out of your Apple ID (if you are using a different one)
6. Sign in to device 1's ID1
7. From device 2, run Grimrock & start a new game
8. Save that game to the device
9. Exit to the Main Menu, then select Load Game
10. Load the iCloud save using the cloud icon

You can now re-save that save game on the device

You can also save that save game on device 2's iCloud Drive:
1. From device 2, sign out of that Apple ID
2. Sign back in to device 2's original Apple ID
3. Run Grimrock & load the saved game from the device
4. Now save the game to device 2's iCloud Drive using the cloud icon

Confusing at first but once you realize you need to sign in/out of different Apple IDs to transfer the save data over, it's pretty easy.

Now if only I saw that "cloud" icon in the first place...
sz19622015

Post by sz19622015 »

Last edited by sz19622015 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KuRi

Post by KuRi »

It worked! I transferred my game from ipad air 2 to ipad mini 2.

Thanks!