[WIP] Treasures of Tarmin (feedback pre-release)

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
NutJob

[WIP] Treasures of Tarmin (feedback pre-release)

Post by NutJob »

Puzzle 14 (removed)
Puzzle 17 (removed)
Puzzle 3 (removed)
Last edited by NutJob on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:40 am, edited 14 times in total.
ScroLL

Re: Treasures of Tarmin (Sample Puzzle)

Post by ScroLL »

I wasn't able to figure out the first puzzle with the colors.
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

ScroLL wrote:I wasn't able to figure out the first puzzle with the colors.
Great, brings joy to my heart. =)

Messing, did you catch the riddle at the start? I'm sort of being totalitarian about full exploration. Miss something, get stuck. May change that later though.

~cheers~
Thanks for giving it a go.
ScroLL

Post by ScroLL »

First time I played I quickly read the text because I thought it was just flavor text for the dungeon. When I jumped down and didn't see any visual cues, I restarted the level reread the message more carefully. I was looking to see if the sentences started with R, G, or B so I could put the colors in that order. I still wasn't sure if the text contained a clue, so I just gave up.

I'd suggest putting the text down in the pit so the player can reread the text when necessary and they get the hint that the text is most likely connected to the puzzle.
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

Looking for feedback and oversights on puzzle #17. Not looking for feedback on aesthetics and level design, I know that is awful. =)
Last edited by NutJob on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jxjxjf

Post by jxjxjf »

I thought the puzzle was great. True puzzle spoiler below. No reading until you've played. ;)
SpoilerShow
It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out the actual solution. I realized quickly I was meant to put the colors in order on the other side and the rest was just figuring out how, which is great design in my opinion. Once completed, I realized I could likely complete it in ~30 or 40 steps, so perhaps a smarter man than myself might not find as much challenge in it. Thought it was great, though. :D I haven't played with push blocks in the editor, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to increase their speed, but a few times I walked too quickly and wasn't able to move the block because the last one was still moving and that got annoying, but only mildly. Loved the reward at the end, too. Hopefully just a placeholder. ;) :lol:
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

jxjxjf wrote:I thought the puzzle was great. True puzzle spoiler below. No reading until you've played. ;)
SpoilerShow
Thanks for compliment and feedback.
SpoilerShow
Glad you realized quickly what the solution to be. That's what I was shooting for, and the puzzle itself being somewhat difficult. As for the block movement speed I do hope to some day find a way to make them faster but after hours of looking into it I gave up. Not sure if there's an accessible way to change the block movement speed. There could be, still, but that "puzzle" is beyond me to find. I found one method to complete the puzzle in 31 steps but, like you mentioned, there may be a more efficient way to solve it. I never was very good at them puzzles, myself, I just know it's mathematically solvable so I made it. More often then not it would take me ~40 steps though once I found the 31 step pattern I, now, can't "see" a better way, though there may very well be one.

And, yes, the solution reward is just a place holder (the level-up and death of the party lol)

Last bumped by NutJob on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:38 pm.