[MOD] The Guardians

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Pompidom

Re: [MOD] The Guardians

Post by Pompidom »

Your struggles are simply the cause of not reading the description of the mod before starting your adventure.
Next time, read it.

It is possible to eventually fail your first run running out of food and resources. Since you're eating raw food, you're well on your way to failing the mod already by running out of resources. Running out of food is not an option. Starved party members in this mod die.

The mod is best played with a practice party for a couple of hours with at least 1 farmer. A farmer can cook and mine without books.
Then when you understand the basics of the mod and made your way to ratling town, it's usually the best time to restart the mod with a good party without a farmer :)

You will come across plenty of nasty situations that will be agonizing hard if you don't properly plan for it :)
Speed and efficiency in your looting runs from the base are essential.
The slower you play, the harder you will make it for yourself. Everything is currency (even time to some sorts)
And all currency/items you come across should be exchanged into red gems and then buy herbs with these red gems to become a stronger party.

Holy water I believe is to cure yourself from "curse" It's a nasty permanent debuff where your character stops receiving experience and becomes weaker. And a lot of harder enemies will simply inflict it on you by hitting you.
The only thing you can do is not get hit or you're fucked.
Same with the flying enemies giving permanent blindness = fucked as well.

Most of the stuff you come across is also optional.

And I suggest to read through this entire topic to get more info
ene

Post by ene »

Pompidom wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm Your struggles are simply the cause of not reading the description of the mod before starting your adventure.
Next time, read it.
Pompidom.. :lol: hey man, sorry but I actually did read the description, always do :lol:
Pompidom wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm It is possible to eventually fail your first run running out of food and resources. Since you're eating raw food, you're well on your way to failing the mod already by running out of resources. Running out of food is not an option. Starved party members in this mod die.
I did understand this part too ! My english is horrible, I'm guessing I didn't express myself correctly.

I just wanted to point out that there's nothing that tells about the localization of the cooking book at the start of the game. The 'Nobody knows how to cook' message isn't helpful. You know you're missing something important but you don't know what. Since raw food feeds you very little, again what I'm just saying is that there could be at least a clue about a cooking book, or a hint saying that the general store is an important place and that you should first waste a power gem there.

It's a key part of the mod (the cooking stuff) at the beginning. When you first play the mod, you don't know anything, you start starving very quickly, it's not fun. This kind of details may discourage say, average adventurers, like me (not very smart :lol: ) and that would be a shame since the mod is probably very good.. I don't think the modder wants that to happen. I don't think either i'm asking for too much there, no ?
Pompidom wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm And I suggest to read through this entire topic to get more info
Actually it's thanks to you i knew about the general store, by reading this thread. I always consult the forum before asking ;) Thanks anyway :D
Pompidom wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm And all currency/items you come across should be exchanged into red gems and then buy herbs with these red gems to become a stronger party.
Thank you, I have some basics of how it works still, I have played Lost City ;)
Pompidom wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm Holy water I believe is to cure yourself from "curse" It's a nasty permanent debuff where your character stops receiving experience and becomes weaker. And a lot of harder enemies will simply inflict it on you by hitting you.
The only thing you can do is not get hit or you're fucked.
Same with the flying enemies giving permanent blindness = fucked as well.

Most of the stuff you come across is also optional.
A clear answer, got it, thanks.

Well still stuck in the sunken temple i guess :lol:
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

Just go somewhere else, the sunken temple isn't something you complete until much later in the game when you find a different route to the other part of the sunken temple map.

The description clearly says that you should have a farmer in your first test run. So you can cook and mine from the very start without searching for the skill books. So you can enjoy the mod instead of playing the "Hunger games" like you're doing now.

You didn't take a farmer with you on your first run so I assumed that you didn't read the description of the mod, unable to cook and mine is bad, important key items are gated behind "rock walls" that you can destroy with the pick axe, which basically means that you will have to rerun every single square again once you do get the skill for it.

Just restart the mod, get 1 farmer along, explore and play the mod like it's supposed to be played until you get to the ratling town. You need to understand the mechanics of all the shops in your base and how to exchange stuff into red gems at the ratling town, and have a good strategy to unlock the mining/cooking skill book in a quick and efficient way.

Once you understand these mechanics it's time to restart the mod with a proper party without a farmer.

It's a very long mod. It will become very hard at certain points in the game and without a proper endgame strategy you will make things very difficult for yourself.

About your issues with full inventory, Just leave all items in your base. Every time you leave the base, just make sure your inventory is empty and filled with cooked food.

Drop all weapons in 1 spot, drop all armor in 1 spot, drop all sticks and torches in 1 spot, stones, basically everything. Basic stuff like stones and torches are necessary key items much later in the game. Just hoard everything until you know what you should do with them. (quick tip, don't use or sell/gamble stones and torches they're needed endgame)

Run around in the dark, spend that red gem on light skill, but whatever you do, do not use your torches as a light source.
ene

Post by ene »

Pompidom wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm Just go somewhere else, the sunken temple isn't something you complete until much later in the game when you find a different route to the other part of the sunken temple map.
Yeah I know, I was just curious about how to get this damn secret ;) as I spent lot of time on it.. wanted to know how you can get there, that's all. I'm very frustrated not to know :lol: Did you succed here ? Does it have a link with the bridges ?
Pompidom wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm The description clearly says that you should have a farmer in your first test run. So you can cook and mine from the very start without searching for the skill books. So you can enjoy the mod instead of playing the "Hunger games" like you're doing now.

You didn't take a farmer with you on your first run so I assumed that you didn't read the description of the mod, unable to cook and mine is bad, important key items are gated behind "rock walls" that you can destroy with the pick axe, which basically means that you will have to rerun every single square again once you do get the skill for it.
It's not because I didn't take a farmer I didn't read the description ;) once again I did read it. Farmer is only advised, not mandatory. I never tried this class. I do understand the logic behind, regarding the mod I mean, still I want to have the choice to create my own team. Even if you dont follow strictly the original rules I still think you should have a chance to get the hand on the cooking book, through other means. That should not be that diifficult.. simply add a note somewhere, that's it (at least for the food, not necessarily for the mining skill). That's just an advice ok ? as a player i mean. I don't say I'm right of course, just want to share my opinion (on this specific case).. And put simply, i'm not very fond with idea to restart the mod more than once.

Nevermind, that's only my though, doesn't really matter :lol:
Pompidom wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm You need to understand the mechanics of all the shops in your base and how to exchange stuff into red gems at the ratling town, and have a good strategy to unlock the mining/cooking skill book in a quick and efficient way.

Once you understand these mechanics it's time to restart the mod with a proper party without a farmer.
I do understand and respect your point. Even if it's the right tactic to follow, just allow me to have a different personal view :mrgreen: As for the gems mechanism, i know how it works. Was just about the cooking book ;)

Pompidom wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 pm About your issues with full inventory, Just leave all items in your base. Every time you leave the base, just make sure your inventory is empty and filled with cooked food.

Drop all weapons in 1 spot, drop all armor in 1 spot, drop all sticks and torches in 1 spot, stones, basically everything. Basic stuff like stones and torches are necessary key items much later in the game. Just hoard everything until you know what you should do with them. (quick tip, don't use or sell/gamble stones and torches they're needed endgame)
No problem with that.. i'm not completly new with mods Pompidom, its not as if it was my first run ;) I have some basics (even if it doesn't look obvious at first, apparently :lol:)

I guess I was in a hurry there, it can happen sometimes, so wanted a quick and accurate answer.. Guess i will have to wait a bit more :lol: ;)

Thanks for your advice anyway
marten_1992

Post by marten_1992 »

Hey, this is a great mod, indeed, only takes some time to get accustomed to the food management
but i am totally stuck in the moment, found one city key but the second eludes me, and I am not able to cross the swamp to enter goldhaven, the bridge keeper seems to be the key but I have no idea what to offer him...
bregdan anweald gafeluec ...
Resu

Post by Resu »

I am currently doing a Lets Play of the Mod :) Check out twitch.tv/ein_resu and soon also "Re su" on Youtube.

Youtube Channel Link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv3q_d ... K5RJqifZlw

Thank you for this great Mod!
Last edited by Resu on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Resu wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:37 am I am currently doing a Lets Play of the Mod :) Check out twitch.tv/ein_resu and soon also "Re su" on Youtube.

Youtube is being weird.
I can't find your Let's Plays of "The Guardians", only those by Alex Diener and DoctorPirx.
And I suspect you're not one of them :)
Resu

Post by Resu »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:32 pm
Resu wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:37 am I am currently doing a Lets Play of the Mod :) Check out twitch.tv/ein_resu and soon also "Re su" on Youtube.

Youtube is being weird.
I can't find your Let's Plays of "The Guardians", only those by Alex Diener and DoctorPirx.
And I suspect you're not one of them :)
Youtube istnt weird: I said "soon" :P I am actually uploading the first episode right now. Just watch on Twitch then. And No I am neither of these ;)
paulclementi

Post by paulclementi »

can anyone tell me how to beat the petrify gargoil in Gorge of Seven Winds. He is at the entrance "El.me.t Wa.c..r" Probably Element Watcher. Thanks for your help
ene

Post by ene »

Played it twice in a row..

With a help of yt videos, managed to find 108/111 secrets (93 me only :D , and so the rest with yt, about 15)

That said.. yes, that said I say (hehe), well, would have never completed the game by myself, some secrets also play a key role to get the crystal amulet at the end (with Magnus), same remark with some corrupted essences.. I'm just not good enough with these kind of riddles. In a way, it's bit of a shame as the limited player i am ( intellectually speaking :mrgreen: ) have then to search help somewhere on the web to find the solution. Put simply, these keys secrets are a bit unfair too me, ie too hard

As always with your mods, takes a little time to get used to it - you don't give any clues (at the start) about how to cook, how to deal with the mining stuff, where to get the items that would help you to progress (thanks to these 2 fundamental aspects of the game).. it means that you almost have to restart a new game (once you know) because your party is already too weak, too hungry..

i've already said that before - and i repeat, I read the intro.

Probably i'm not very smart (huh? :? ), I'm just trying to say it's a bit of a shame

Now.. I love cooking, it's great, I love mining, it's great. Not enough horned fruit though, lot of recipes requires horned fruits.. (ok i admit, i love to cook all sort of cakes ), at the end, you just eat raw foods (almost)

The fights in the citadel are more tedious than fun, even if the idea the corrupted elementals get healed nonstop is pretty good - and logical when you think about it. But it was just more tedious

Ratlington is great, I like to exchange old stuff you don't need any more, it's a great idea. Love the Grimwood forest with its mist and narrow paths. Really good atmosphere here. In fact, most of the maps are great.

Peharps the mod lack some really exiting - and simples fights (in a way that they either are nervously exhausting (with the ghots for example, which by the way are terrifics), either they are more kind of ordinary). I schematize a bit of course - nothing is ever black and white, there are of course plenty good moments :)

THAT SAID (again).. there's so much to discover (the singing stone for example is genius) that's not a big deal.

enough , wrap time :D

Was just trying to tell my though - nothing serious ;) . I had lot lot of great time, it's huge, and i love big mods - and this one is really, really good.

worthy successor of Lost City ;)

Thank you