[New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Lorial

[New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Post by Lorial »

Hello there, folks.

Since there were already requests for this, I am going to briefly introduce my mod "Falagar - A Journey" to you.
The mod has been released on Steam in December (requires a copy&paste fix) and it is available on NexusMods (fixed version 1.1) since January 1st.
In order to get a better understanding, I will try to answer questions/concerns I received frequently. For more detailed information, follow the download links below.

What is Falagar?
It is a 40+ hour adventure with both dungeons and open world maps that allow a certain freedom of progression, but some areas are sealed off by force fields or teleporters till you trigger a specific event (e.g. a boss fight). The mod tries to stay close to the original without implementation of fancy music tracks or assets. However, it offers some unique looking maps, including dark "open" caves/caverns and an indoor snow/ice dungeon.

Is it heavily story-driven?
Do not expect a "story", NPCs with tons of text or plot twists in Falagar, but rather a journey in which you encounter and overcome enemies and other obstacles. You are supposed to defeat the four guardians, collect the elemental spheres to eventually gain access to the dragonrider. Some notes give hints to hidden locations or recipes, but that's it - plain and simple progressional gameplay.

Is there anything custom made?
Falagar uses custom items, races, traits, skills, spells, altered monsters and an enhanced alchemy and healing system, see the links below for more detailed information. Besides the marvellous Winter Tileset by Skuggasveinn, I created my own 2D graphics for items, but no new 3D meshes or portrait sets. Custom monsters behave differently, have altered stats and cause new conditions like intoxication or fevers. In addition to this, certain traits are not visible and require a keen eye to recognize what lies beyond, e.g. armor sets, a mundane looking item or negative effects of a shiney piece of heavy armor.

Is it another awefully difficult slaughter mod?
Not at all. The difficulty can be set to "hard" without running into insurmountable situations ("single-use crystals" has not been tested). You should always have the right tool for a job. Additionally, the difficulty varies depending on choice of races and classes and it is not intended to be the same with different parties. So if you are a seasoned player expecting a brutal challenge, look elsewhere. You might want to take care of your resistances, though. I would rate it "M" for medium difficulty.

As a heads-up: you will not stumble upon your first blue healing crystal before approximately an hour of playtime, so make good use of the few restoration potions you find early on.

Are there tough boss fights?
Besides the aforementioned guardians, you will run into a number of bosses, sometimes occuring in pairs or groups, but none of which should be too difficult to proceed. Naturally, some bosses may require more than one attempt to beat them and some environmental hazards and traps can be used to your advantage. Neither is this supposed to be another Souls-like game, nor a walk in the park.

Are there many puzzles?
Not quite, at least if you were to walk straight through without looking for secrets and hidden switches. However, since exploration is a huge part of the mod, there is a significant number of secrets to find, granting goodies and sometimes useful "tools" for specific situations. Or you might receive a weapon earlier in the run.

Is it buggy?
There might be graphical issues here and there and the items lists aren't 100% clean, but none should pose a problem. Certain immobile monsters may cause harmless console spam, I would recommend to turn the console off. Despite that, you can play the entire mod from start to finish.

What about the replay value?
While there is no procedually generated content, there are five custom races, a number of new traits, custom-made classes and altered original classes. Each combination allows for a different specialization and therefore a different experience making certain areas harder and others easier. Items that were of no use before are becoming your favorites with the next group.

What is the best weapon/race/class/misc?
There is no such thing in the mod. Each race and class has specific pros and cons and items resonate better with certain classes as bonuses are granted when wielding specific items. While weapon X does more damage, you might get a bonus to stats, crits or accuracy using weapon Y instead. Magic wand Z may not spout nukes, but it may prevent wounds for a moment instead. A shield may give negative values, however, it could be imbued with a spell...

Last but not least, any feedback is always welcome. If you need a helping hand, don't hesitate to ask on either platform. I will also add a link below to my playthrough in German. This might function as a useful "walkthrough" if you are stuck, even if you do not understand a single word. ;)
I also added a video in which I describe the mod briefly and showcase the classes, traits, skills and races in detail.
And finally, do not forget to rate the mod after you tried it for a bit, even if you dislike it. Thank you in advance.

Download Links:
-https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1574086606
-https://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/114

Youtube Playthrough [GER]:
-https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ILx8bZeKyx

Mod Introduction and Detailed Explanation [ENG]:
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li5G3xQNqzw

Hope you enjoy your first playthrough and good luck with it.

Bunkerknacker
Last edited by Lorial on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
andyroosta

Re: [New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Post by andyroosta »

Downloaded and queued..many thanks for making the mod! :D
ukdouble1

Post by ukdouble1 »

Big thx for big work. I created party just from new races and new classes only. Very interesting.
i have some little questions. Food hoarder skill works only, if food not in the contaners. When i put on my warrior the leather brigandine with 5 def, he get 9 def. Its ok?
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

ukdouble1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 am Big thx for big work. I created party just from new races and new classes only. Very interesting.
i have some little questions. Food hoarder skill works only, if food not in the contaners. When i put on my warrior the leather brigandine with 5 def, he get 9 def. Its ok?
Yes, for balancing reasons, the food bonus of the already evasive Huldra only works outside of containers (unlike skulls and trinkets). Good catch on the warrior ability as it has two hidden traits. These two should've been mentioned in the class description:
- Dual-Wielding Accuracy increases as you gain more experience.
- Light Armor pieces offer additional Protection.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

There was already a topic of Falagar. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18326

Most important quality of life changes needed in your mod:

1. Bring back the original light spell instead of that useless static ball of light.

2. Remove the mechanic of monsters/bosses that drop keys/important items. When the monster dies on an elevation, you cannot see the dropped items/keys, you will not pick them up and be stuck forever.
Either make the monster/boss drop an entire bag so that you can see better if something dropped or spawn a pedestal with a beam of light with the core items on it. Basically any change will do as long players will not miss out on dropped keys anymore.

3. Remove the multiple clicks from all buttons.

For the rest, most of the extra items, features, mechanics are just extra layers of annoyance instead of enjoyment. And shouldn't have been added in the first place.
For example: bandages with RNG while removing curing limbs with healing pots? the only way your mod is even remotely enjoyable is simply to console spawn cheat heaps of bandages as I refuse to level up earth magic to cure broken body parts.
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

SIR, YES SIR! I mean, no.
A change of tone and manners might be handy if you ask someone to change things in your favor. But I guess there always has to be that one guy...

Thank you for the valuable feedback, I seriously hope you are just another troll with these misplaced demands.
In fact, I should not even respond to this, but I will give you an urgently needed helping hand anyway.
Pompidom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm 1. Bring back the original light spell instead of that useless static ball of light.
No.
There are candles, torches, lanterns (that burn roughly 3x as long), illumination elixirs, light traps, orbs of radiance with charges (plenty of recharge crystals, too) that use the blue light spell from the original and more ways. The lanterns alone might be able to carry you through half of the mod.
The "useless static ball of light" actually produces light, so it is not useless as it serves a purpose and it works. A darker dungeon (the engine brightens up automatically) can be a nice change of scenery as well. If you run ouf of light sources constantly, try using them sporadically or put them away in bright areas/daylight/while resting?

Pompidom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm 2. Remove the mechanic of monsters/bosses that drop keys/important items...
No.
So far nobody has reported anything like that and I myself never encountered anything in my dozens of hours of playtesting either. It is not like it would be a pixel hunt to find items in Legend of Grimrock 2. Also, I cannot think of a single boss that would drop a necessary item on an elevation which would "doom the player". And items that appear in a specific location after a boss fight are in as well, so no idea what you are referring to.

Pompidom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm 3. Remove the multiple clicks from all buttons.
No.
They are few and far between and those that exist are there for a reason. The first one of that kind, for instance, is a trap. It punishes you if you keep clicking like a maniac. Another one in the moor is a bit rusty - bloody air moisture.

Pompidom wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm For the rest [...] as I refuse to level up earth magic to cure broken body parts.
Wounds, yes. The chance to get body parts injured has been reduces greatly compared to the original game, there are several traits that help even further.
Try herbs. Or a spell. Or a wand. Or try to avoid wounds alltogether.
And you refuse to level up a skill? Well, guess I have no choice but to change it then. How earth magic should be able to help you in such a case, though, is beyond me.

In that other topic (which is not my introduction to my own mod), I saw that you also cried about it being waaay too easy. You also min-maxed it and went with the most powerful (boring) party. But why then did you get all the wounds in the first place? Your trolls have a natural restistance of 30% (?) to wounds. And why do you have to refer to console cheating to get through anyway? Hm...

All your posts tell me that you would like to have a simple "Win" button which you are not going to get. Meanwhile you degrade it as being too easy. I recommend you go and play a different mod, this one, apparently, is not for you.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

During my exploration of the swamp my party exited back to to the northern forest and went to unload some mushrooms from a sack. The game crashed with a trollscript 3 error. That's all I get so far. Is there some correlation between the troll and mushrooms that would completely crash the game...Thanks
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

RacerX wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 pm During my exploration of the swamp my party exited back to to the northern forest and went to unload some mushrooms from a sack. The game crashed with a trollscript 3 error. That's all I get so far. Is there some correlation between the troll and mushrooms that would completely crash the game...Thanks
I'm not the mod author, but if I were, I'd want the crash report and/or a savegame just before the crash.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

I can provided the saved game if it helps, but it appears that I lost a lot of my exploration in the swamp from the crash. I know what I did in the swamp so I could probably recreate my steps. The message was just odd that's all...

I tested a little further and it started cashing all over the place. I'm deleting all my saves and starting again....
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

I have been looking for script entities in both areas (or any troll scripts) that might cause any issues. I also tried to recreate your steps, but nothing lead to a crash. Does the error message in grimrock.log in your documents folder still give any more specific information as to what exactly caused this?