Resident Grimrock

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
sapientCrow

Re: Resident Grimrock

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 pm Hi sapientCrow,

You will be relieved to know that I would not have you counting lights, gears, elevations or... scratches? I hope you don't think I am that cruel !
haha! I thought that would be cool and man I was onto the correct solution but I tried it last so I was very tired...
lostsol wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 pm Panel clue:
SpoilerShow
My hope here was that since there is no reference point, players would assume the layout of the clue is that of the panel while standing at the threshold, meaning that when you step into the room, the tile you are standing on would be the bottom-center of the panel. So with that as directional reference, and understanding the significance of the glyphs, you only need to enter that sequence into the panel. There are 3 panels to choose from but I will save you the trip and tell you it is the panel in the NW area of the map.
Non-panel door:
SpoilerShow
The nudge here is that the buttons, chains and levers are all located on only 1 side of the doors. But I see your point, once all the doors are open one could make a starting point at any location, and reading your post gave me an idea to provide an additional clue. But if I may ask, once you figured out that it was the clue for the door, how many attempts did it take you to get the correct combination?
I'm glad to hear you like the puzzles ! I am rooting for you, even if it feels like I am slowly luring you to the very edge of sanity.
Great color and sound puzzles... however...
SpoilerShow
on my screen the order of colors when pulling chain is Red, Purple, Green, Yellow, Blue, White
1|2|3
4|5|6
7|8|9
1=Red, 2=Orange, 3=no color, 4=Purple, 5=White, 6=Yellow, 7=no color, 8=Blue, 9=Green (this is how I perceive the room lights on ceiling)
Facing the same way from entrance to room that would put the sequence at 149685 to my eyes. I could potentially swap orange for what I see as yellow and it would be 149285. I looked at spoiler here and you have what I see as yellow to be the last of the sequence 6 Making it 149286 which to my eyes is Red, Purple, Green, Orange, Blue, Yellow. I still see from the colors when pulling chain as 4 in sequence being yellow and orange not even being considered. I thought perhaps it was in reference to the strange symbol note that i applied the liquid to but I see no available pinkish color. Potentially my monitor is not the same color?
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Thanks for the input on the color puzzle.
SpoilerShow
It looks like you got the colors right in the 3x3 room with ceiling lights with the exception of seeing white at 5 when there is not light at all on that square. It was probably easier for you to differentiate the colors in this room since you are able to see them all at once where as in the pull chain room you can only view the colors one at a time. This makes it really easy to confuse orange and yellow. If you were to see all the orbs laid out at once it probably would have been no problem for you. But in the end I could probably improve this by making the blue a little lighter and replacing the yellow with a very dark blue.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:42 am Thanks for the input on the color puzzle.
SpoilerShow
It looks like you got the colors right in the 3x3 room with ceiling lights with the exception of seeing white at 5 when there is not light at all on that square. It was probably easier for you to differentiate the colors in this room since you are able to see them all at once where as in the pull chain room you can only view the colors one at a time. This makes it really easy to confuse orange and yellow. If you were to see all the orbs laid out at once it probably would have been no problem for you. But in the end I could probably improve this by making the blue a little lighter and replacing the yellow with a very dark blue.
Yah I suppose the difference in monitor color could be an issue too.

Made it through Lab. That was really awesome!

Got a question now about 2 possible optional secrets.
SpoilerShow
In garden there seems to be a table with a bracelet on it. I can not find anywhere to push a button. also the 3x3 plate room where you get amber eyes and emerald. there is a book behind one of the doors and I know you said it was a pattern but I can not seem to understand...
R|B|R-----0|R|B-----R|0|B
R|B|R-----R|B|R-----0|0|0
R|B|R-----B|R|0-----B|0|R
I can not seem to see pattern except perhaps reduction. Maybe the final only has 1 Blue lit and 1 red lit?
I know its optional but I want to understand the puzzle and complete it =). Any hints or logic on how the progression works to figure out the 4th sequence?
Just found my 10th knowledge book and got all treasures. 11/14 secrets and 14/20 rubies

Oh and Workshop the 3rd key another great puzzle and the Boss OMG!! I am glad I run around hitting things with my hands and rarely ever use my charges and save my herbs and potions.

Oh one other question:
SpoilerShow
I am assuming I need to do Courtyard now since Just checked cemetery and need the purple eyes. I seem to not have found any clues on how to navigate courtyard. Any hints on where that clue is or how to navigate that place?
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Good job getting through the Lab !

Regarding your questions on 2 possible secrets:
SpoilerShow
The bracelet you see in the Garden is only accessible with Shayla. Rynulf can obtain the exact same item, but it is in a different location for him.

The final fire / frost pattern is from a visual clue. To narrow it down, it can be found on the Keep 1st fl. If you don't feel like hunting for it here is the exact room:
SpoilerShow
In the throne room, accessed with the pentacles key.
Courtyard hint:
SpoilerShow
I'm assuming you already found both main entrance keys and have access to the Courtyard. The clue you need is the number sequence note that you found earlier (41432).
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 am Good job getting through the Lab !

Regarding your questions on 2 possible secrets:
SpoilerShow
The bracelet you see in the Garden is only accessible with Shayla. Rynulf can obtain the exact same item, but it is in a different location for him.

The final fire / frost pattern is from a visual clue. To narrow it down, it can be found on the Keep 1st fl. If you don't feel like hunting for it here is the exact room:
SpoilerShow
In the throne room, accessed with the pentacles key.
Courtyard hint:
SpoilerShow
I'm assuming you already found both main entrance keys and have access to the Courtyard. The clue you need is the number sequence note that you found earlier (41432).
Thanks... I had the thing in my inventory for a while too...

So now the Courtyard. I wonder perhaps if I have not found certain items to answer the riddles. Do they need to go on the tables or altars by riddle?
SpoilerShow
Knowing past and present I thought everseeing orb, snake without tail, a rope, hollow and hole voice without word I went back and swapped the demon horn for flute and turn my head I figured a key. the only other things I have in my inventory right now is the torch the timepiece a skull and the eye gems and hollow essences. and the items for the tomb puzzle excluding the flowers I think since I have the sword collar and emerald as mentioned in caretakers notes. Is there any cue sound for an item once placed or no cues and it will only open and I have to go look for door or forcefield to be open?
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Items for the Courtyard riddles should be placed on the pedestal that is directly across from the riddle text. There is no individual sound cue for each riddle but once you have them all correct you will here the secret sound and the forcefield in the central area of the map will open.

You are off on one riddle (solution):
SpoilerShow
replace the flute with the horn, though I should have had it work for either item.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm Items for the Courtyard riddles should be placed on the pedestal that is directly across from the riddle text. There is no individual sound cue for each riddle but once you have them all correct you will here the secret sound and the forcefield in the central area of the map will open.

You are off on one riddle (solution):
SpoilerShow
replace the flute with the horn, though I should have had it work for either item.
aha...
Well yay I did figure it out then basically =)
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Next question... I cant take blowing the horn anymore...
SpoilerShow
I am standing at the 3 button gates I blow the horn and the eyes go green for a short time. I managed to open one gate but am unable to figure out pattern for second one. The first one was a fluke anyway since I think I pressed a button then blew the horn then pressed a combination of buttons. shrug...
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

The double door demon:
SpoilerShow
One door can be opened by placing the Tome of Charms in the alcove. After placing the tome, stand by the demon statue and blow the horn ( sorry ! ), it will happily provide you with a blink code. Enter this code in the nearby buttons to open the other door.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:34 am The double door demon:
SpoilerShow
One door can be opened by placing the Tome of Charms in the alcove. After placing the tome, stand by the demon statue and blow the horn ( sorry ! ), it will happily provide you with a blink code. Enter this code in the nearby buttons to open the other door.
haha...
SpoilerShow
I thought it was timed and you had to hit them in sequence while the eyes were green. Its funny but I was able to by random chance unlock that gate 4 times by doing multiple combinations. I even tried pressing a button then blowing horn then pressing buttons. If I simply looked to a simpler approach and remembered what I had done last time...
on tomb puzzle:
SpoilerShow
So based on the way it is written in the caretakers note it does not specify each so... I thought the first line meant that Lady Nynia and Lord Judoc were possibly lovers of flowers and bore the lion shield. So then when finding the torn letter and I was able to remove the collar and knowing Nynia had the Dragon shield I deduced that Lord Judoc loved flowers and bore the Lion shield and so Winter shield and collar goes to Venetia and Cynbel got the sword as per the note and the Falcon shield. I did figure it out eventually but it did not make sense until I did. Then the first line did to my mind at least. I would put that first line as The first Nightwoods to dwell on Grimrock were of course Lady Nynia and Lord Judoc as well as the bearer of the Lion and 4th a lover of flowers. Or something like that so they are separated. With Lord and Lady capitals and then the lower case next to that without separation my mind thought that those things belonged to Lady Nynia or Lord Judoc potentially.
oh man that area beneath the crypt wow that was an awesome set of puzzles and some really cool mechanisms as well as the clue to them... you should consult for other mods for puzzle building!! thanks for this mod even though I have been bad at some of the puzzles

Woohoo I survived and beat it!! well almost... 11/14 secrets, 16/20 Ruby, 5/5 treasure, 10/10 knowledge
The last puzzle was awesome too with the essences.
Is it possible to get all secrets and rubies without using any lockpicks or using the 2 skills maxed out?
Those rubies are in some pretty sneaky places... I caught a few after being in the same place again and again and then seeing it at an angle. Secrets though... hmm I thought I really did look at every single wall. Might try out the mage now.
Really fantastic Mod!!