Resident Grimrock

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
sapientCrow

Re: Resident Grimrock

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:45 pm Hi sapientCrow,

Thanks for the info. I never came across this issue while testing, but I know for sure the game will crash if Alela does not exist when one of her undead die. Its probably like you say, she probably got fragged somehow. I will look into it and see if I can improve the encounter.

The smokey wisp you refer to isn't actually part of the boss fight. The design behind it is new monsters will pop up at "random" locations after the bosses die. The one you saw just happened to appear near that area.
Thanks for the response. Yah I found it strange. I kited them around for a while trying to get the Soulstealer to shoot the zombies. Then all of a sudden he exploded and dropped the loot. The zombie was jumping and the Soulstealer was moving right before the boss exploded. Only thing I could come up with is that they shared tiles and Soulstealer died. Great fight by the way. This Mod has me thinking of so many alternate ways of doing things.

Speaking of which are you able to tell me where to start to test out the note:
SpoilerShow
it has the sequence 41432 and my assumption is I need to walk around the maze where the sleeping stone demon face is. However it is unclear whether I need to face a certain direction and also where to begin. I am tired of trial error attempts in there so the white flag is raised... haha

Thanks again for the Mod. There is a lot of thought in it and serious attention to detail.
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Number sequence hint:
SpoilerShow
This is a clue needed for the Courtyard map.
Hedge maze and the always charming Grounds Demon:
SpoilerShow
With some convincing, the demon statue will provide a clue on how to navigate the maze. It is assumed that you will always be facing in the same direction that you are walking.
Let me know if you need more !
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 pm Number sequence hint:
SpoilerShow
This is a clue needed for the Courtyard map.
Hedge maze and the always charming Grounds Demon:
SpoilerShow
With some convincing, the demon statue will provide a clue on how to navigate the maze. It is assumed that you will always be facing in the same direction that you are walking.
Let me know if you need more !
thanks. OK I actually had to look through this forum thread to find the movement for the demon blinks.
SpoilerShow
the blinks are LRLRBRLRRLRLLBRBRLL. I see that counting the turns and the straight walks the count adds up to the blinks but my brain is not able to discern the direction it is asking me to face to start the walk. Also how am I supposed to know to put the tome of charms there with no clue? I did end up actually getting the demon to activate by trial and error and then I got completely stumped by the blinks and directions. I assumed L is Left or West and R is East or Right. I as completely wrong on that it seems
I am pretty much stuck right now. Here are things that seem unfinished.
Brass or Iron key doors through keep.
Missing sword and star key (I have the wand and cups key, I also got the riddle key which I could not figure out how that equated to seven)
2 gates and pedestals at the Lerganes with doors to open
Room with 3x3 floor plates which turns fire to on blue and off.
Grounds (force field where rope is and barrier blocking entry to east area and closed door to the west of rope)
Barrier blocking me by where I got tome of passages.
Garden round keys
3x3 button puzzle by Sun and Moon doors

I think that pretty much explains all the main things that seem like I need to do. Any hints you can direct me with?
So far unless I am really horrible it seems like a lot of things are straight up brute force trial and error?

Edit:
I managed to open the alchemy book gate in the 3x3 plate room and by random luck opened the emerald gem door. I have just spent about 2 hours in there trying a multitude of other combinations and the other 2 doors do not open.
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Here is the grounds puzzle in detail:
SpoilerShow
You have the correct combination however you have it reversed. For example, the first blink is on your left but it is the demon's right eye that is blinking. Each blink tells you the direction to start walking (from the demon statue). When you reach a point where there is a choice of directions you must go in the direction of the next blink. When both eyes blink it means to go straight.

Brass locks throughout the Keep are opened by lockpicks. These areas will never have anything that is required to progress.

Riddle key:
SpoilerShow
"equated to seven" I believe you refer to the last riddle before you find the key. Seven steps west.. refers to the teleporter that brings you to the 1st boss. The demon you need to stand by is 7 squares west of the teleporter.
2 gates and pedestals solution:
SpoilerShow
The important door to open here requires the blood orbs placed on the pedestals. The other door is optional and you will have to recall what you first found in this room.
SpoilerShow
skulls.
3x3 plates (fire / frost room) hint:
SpoilerShow
This is a pattern puzzle, there are 4 different patterns and each opens one of the doors in this room. There are clues for each pattern, most of them are found on notes. Only 2 patterns are required to solve, the other 2 are optional.
Grounds forcefield:
This one is hard to hint at because you mentioned "closed door west of rope". In order to disable the forcefield you will need to be able to access the Grounds from both the West and East sides of the map. I think once you do this the solution might be more evident.

There are other various blue barriers similar to the forcefield that are disabled with the Sharp Mind skill. There are 3 in total:
Grounds, Crypt and Keep 2nd Fl (library). Accessing these areas is not required.

Garden key and button panel will be accessed a bit later in the game.

So for where you are at now, the most important item you need is the rope. To get that you must be able to enter the Grounds from both sides of the map. Here is a hint if you can't get in from the West:
SpoilerShow
Revisit the 2 demon statues in the Keep 1st fl, in the room with the spike traps.
I definitely did not want the puzzles of this mod to be solved with brute force or trial and error. There are some that require a bit of guess work, such as which tome to use in the Grounds and what to place on the pedestals with the 2 gates. But overall I feel there are enough clues to solve everything without the use of force. If you feel that a lot of it is trial and error, and are willing to provide feedback on the puzzles I would love to hear about it, I am always looking for ways to improve the design. It may be helpful to keep in mind that there is a lot a lot of backtracking. And because of this, you will often find clues for puzzles you have not discovered yet. And you will come across puzzles that you may not have all the clues for just yet.

Thanks
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

lostsol wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm Here is the grounds puzzle in detail:
SpoilerShow
You have the correct combination however you have it reversed. For example, the first blink is on your left but it is the demon's right eye that is blinking. Each blink tells you the direction to start walking (from the demon statue). When you reach a point where there is a choice of directions you must go in the direction of the next blink. When both eyes blink it means to go straight.

Brass locks throughout the Keep are opened by lockpicks. These areas will never have anything that is required to progress.

Riddle key:
SpoilerShow
"equated to seven" I believe you refer to the last riddle before you find the key. Seven steps west.. refers to the teleporter that brings you to the 1st boss. The demon you need to stand by is 7 squares west of the teleporter.
2 gates and pedestals solution:
SpoilerShow
The important door to open here requires the blood orbs placed on the pedestals. The other door is optional and you will have to recall what you first found in this room.
SpoilerShow
skulls.
3x3 plates (fire / frost room) hint:
SpoilerShow
This is a pattern puzzle, there are 4 different patterns and each opens one of the doors in this room. There are clues for each pattern, most of them are found on notes. Only 2 patterns are required to solve, the other 2 are optional.
Grounds forcefield:
This one is hard to hint at because you mentioned "closed door west of rope". In order to disable the forcefield you will need to be able to access the Grounds from both the West and East sides of the map. I think once you do this the solution might be more evident.

There are other various blue barriers similar to the forcefield that are disabled with the Sharp Mind skill. There are 3 in total:
Grounds, Crypt and Keep 2nd Fl (library). Accessing these areas is not required.

Garden key and button panel will be accessed a bit later in the game.

So for where you are at now, the most important item you need is the rope. To get that you must be able to enter the Grounds from both sides of the map. Here is a hint if you can't get in from the West:
SpoilerShow
Revisit the 2 demon statues in the Keep 1st fl, in the room with the spike traps.
I definitely did not want the puzzles of this mod to be solved with brute force or trial and error. There are some that require a bit of guess work, such as which tome to use in the Grounds and what to place on the pedestals with the 2 gates. But overall I feel there are enough clues to solve everything without the use of force. If you feel that a lot of it is trial and error, and are willing to provide feedback on the puzzles I would love to hear about it, I am always looking for ways to improve the design. It may be helpful to keep in mind that there is a lot a lot of backtracking. And because of this, you will often find clues for puzzles you have not discovered yet. And you will come across puzzles that you may not have all the clues for just yet.

Thanks
Thanks for the assist.
SpoilerShow
I had not thought to turn the demon face to be as if it was me looking and thus reverse it.
The 3x3 room I have tried a ton of patterns now. Some were mainly reversals or changes to the ones I had success with.
SpoilerShow
I managed to get the alchemy book using the note and through trial and error ended up with a blue line and 2 red lines for green gem door to open. The others I tried all blue all red. I tried various forms of xs and cubes with different coloration... and lines blue and red. Are there notes for what seems to be a ruby door and another book? Because depending on where I set myself as in facing north or east or west or south the amount of variables gets fairly significant
thanks for heads up on the brass doors. is there enough lockpicks around to open all locked chests and doors or are they designed for different play styles? So I should go open each and decide which is my best choice?
SpoilerShow
I was wondering about those 2 heads. How did I miss blowing the horn... sigh Now I think I am past this next obstruction. cool puzzle for the keepers room. glad I notated on map the keepers but I had to go find out which way they were facing
For the books:
SpoilerShow
does it matter which book I place on pedestal in Gardens? Like for example will I ever use charm book again after green demon eyes in Grounds? edit: I forgot about the demon alcoves under cemetery ;)
Since I need a skill to open those forcefields I am curious... Is it possible to get everything in one playthrough. Is Shayla actually a better character to play for a completionist since I assume she gets sharp mind bonus?

Do I get a clue to the 3x3 buttons near sun and moon door?

Thanks again and I will give more feedback once I am through the entire game 1 time so I do not give invalid feedback due to a note or clue I missed.

Edit:
Will I get the ability to turn on teleporter in Grounds later on?
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

fire / frost room:
I don't know how to do the math behind it but yea, there are a ton of possible patterns to make. Of the 4 doors, 3 of the patterns are found on notes, the other is a visual clue but that one does not contain a required item. Notes can be difficult to see, but of the 25 notes in the game I placed the more important ones in (I think) "can't miss" places.

lockpicks:
There are not enough lockpicks to open everything. IIRC, there are a combined total of 8 chests / doors, there are 4 lockpicks to find and Rynulf begins with one. There is also a small chance for both Champions to dig one up while grave robbing. I did my best to keep the lockpick rewards balanced so it won't matter what you use them on, but if you have the patience for it doing some save / load to check the contents doesn't hurt.

Sharp Mind and Focused Power:
Each of these skills will give access to an area and a reward. There are 3 of each, as Rynulf you probably opened Focused Power "locks" but did not realize it:
A pull chain, East side of the Keep 1st fl where the shovel is found
A boulder in the Crypt
A pushable block in the Laboratory

There are enough skill tomes to max out both of these skills for either Champion, of course your stats will suffer for it but the rewards are fairly decent.

Buttons near sun / moon doors:
There is definitely a clue for this, but it may not be obvious at first glance.

Grounds teleporter hint:
SpoilerShow
The clue to enable this teleporter is visual and can be found in the Grounds level. It might be easier to see during the daytime and with a trusty torch in hand.
hansbleeb

Post by hansbleeb »

i made progress in the workshop now.. briljant level i am now by the colour puzzle i think that can not a big problem i found a very stranve paper with 6 symbols that looks that they are drawning by an alien.. that golours when use the clear liquid i thougy first that rhat the clue was for the colour puzzle but that is simpler.. i think i need it later.. i have also 2 amber eyes .. i must figure out the positions of the colours corresponding the button sequence on the last 9 button lock.. and the position comparison
between the colour room and the button lock position..
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Hi hansbleeb,

Color button panel:

Hint:
SpoilerShow
The color sequence clue is found at the same place you found the sound sequence. Now in the room with the colored lights you need to match the button order with the colors. As far as positioning it is just like the other rooms that had clues, so if you are standing at the entrance of the room the first square you step on would be the bottom-center of the 9 button panel.
Solution:
SpoilerShow
Consider this to be the layout of the panel:
1 | 2 | 3
4 | 5 | 6
7 | 8 | 9

Enter the following code: 1, 4, 9, 2, 8, 6
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Stumped in Workshop.
SpoilerShow
I read the hints are in the environment so... I went to room with table that has buttons I cant get to. Used glyph and came up with a combo that way adding 4th glyph as 4 but at position 8 since I was facing North. that was not the combo. I looked at the elevation of things in that room that was not it. I counted gears on walls and used that for combo. I counted lights in hallways and door lights and made up combos that way. I potentially missed something fairly simple but again without a directional and a bit more specific on what environment I am looking at.
SpoilerShow
I managed to get into the sound room by looking at the sequence of buttons and levers and chains enroute to it. However I could have chosen to not go clockwise with it and input another variant. I could have started near 1 light door and used that as the progression.
I definitely like these puzzles. the struggle I have is with no point of reference for some I end up way overthinking it and drive myself nuts. counting elevations and gears on walls and ceiling lights and door lights... and trying to connect the earlier glyph clue and other clues so many options... Oh and counting scratches and even using the 3 tables and items on them near sound chain room...
lostsol

Post by lostsol »

Hi sapientCrow,

You will be relieved to know that I would not have you counting lights, gears, elevations or... scratches? I hope you don't think I am that cruel !

Panel clue:
SpoilerShow
My hope here was that since there is no reference point, players would assume the layout of the clue is that of the panel while standing at the threshold, meaning that when you step into the room, the tile you are standing on would be the bottom-center of the panel. So with that as directional reference, and understanding the significance of the glyphs, you only need to enter that sequence into the panel. There are 3 panels to choose from but I will save you the trip and tell you it is the panel in the NW area of the map.
Non-panel door:
SpoilerShow
The nudge here is that the buttons, chains and levers are all located on only 1 side of the doors. But I see your point, once all the doors are open one could make a starting point at any location, and reading your post gave me an idea to provide an additional clue. But if I may ask, once you figured out that it was the clue for the door, how many attempts did it take you to get the correct combination?
I'm glad to hear you like the puzzles ! I am rooting for you, even if it feels like I am slowly luring you to the very edge of sanity.