The Allure of Nightfall - Version 1.1

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Slayer82

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 1.0

Post by Slayer82 »

Hi, FrEEsiD.

No, I'm not French, nor can I speak/read it.
I like to add clues to puzzles in different languages to penalise monolingual speakers.
Although, I suppose it's more of a reward for bilingual or multilingual players.

I translated what you wrote and it seems you may have an issue with saving regarding the hooks.
Could you please elaborate, as I haven't encountered any saving issues with the mod?

Thank you.

Non, je ne suis pas français et je ne peux pas le parler / le lire.
J'aime ajouter des indices à des puzzles dans différentes langues pour pénaliser les locuteurs monolingues.
Bien, Je suppose que c'est plus une récompense pour les joueurs bilingues ou multilingues.

J'ai traduit ce que vous avez écrit et il semble que vous ayez un problème avec l'enregistrement concernant les crochets.
Pourriez-vous s'il vous plaît élaborer, car je n'ai rencontré aucun problème d'enregistrement avec le mod?

Je vous remercie.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

sorry i hadn't seen your answer because it was on a new page ...
Yes, it's been 4 times, that some hooks make me crash my saves ...
At the start I had not read and therefore understood where it came from ...
Currently, I am in Artak's abyss at the level of the camp which allows to descend in "northen stadium - the outbreak", there is a "large battle shield" on the ground, and if I take it in my inventory or hand, the next save will crash with this message:

[string "surface.lua"]: 0: could not resolveobject reference with id large_battle_shield_1 (referenced by wallhookrack_1)

What is strange is that during my 1st game, I remember being able to take it ... But I had my 1st crash too, after having saved in front of the piece of "dwaar's code", alas having had a save before, I did not look at the error message, but looking back, I suspect the link with the cause and effect ...

There, I did a lot of testing to try to understand!
If I take the shield, change my level (test with arrival and outbreak), and throw it on the ground, I don't have a crash with the save, but the shield can no longer be picked up.
With "arrival", I have a new error message in the console but no crash save:
warning! invalid connector target: mam

It is clear that the shield should be hung on the wall and that for some reason, it does not get rid of the wallhook ...
Besides, if I put any object on the wallhook, I get the same error message except that I no longer have the name of the item but its number ...

[string "surface.lua"]: 0: could not resolveobject reference with id 29828 (referenced by wallhookrack_1)

And in my previous game, I had a crash with the same problem, and I only remember the name of the hook, "armorrack_3", which precipitated my desire to start a hard game again ...

Voila, I hope I have been clear ...
This being, I wanted to tell you, that I enjoy with your mod, I love the story, the level design, the puzzles, the boss battle and their resolution, the different assets, basically I love;)
Just a flat, I find the levels a bit empty monsters (I loved "the guardians" and its difficulty "spicy";)
But really good job ...

Otherwise, there is 1/2 glitch,
In Artak's abyss, before fighting the ice_lizard_mage, normally, you need a golden key to access his room, but on the other side is a ladder and at his foot going to the left you enter directly into the water, where find the fluorescent picks ... a fake wall;)

In the lava level (I don't remember the name anymore), there is a boss battle with 2 dogs on fire and a boss, at its entrance on the left, there is a pillar fake ...

Another thing strange for me, in arrival, the house with dogs (3/4) they are a skull key lock, the skull key do not open this but iron key yes...

Thanks for your very good mod and for your fast reponse;)
@ +
Ps: google trad is my teatcher;)
Ps2: My LoG2 version is 224
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

Well,
I have download your mod in nexus...
I have just started a new game and I am going directly to Artak and there I can take the shield (which is nonetheless on the ground and not on the wall) and save without problem, on the other hand if I place the shield or another item on the wallhook, the next save will be corrupted ...
With all due respect, I don't know if you are able to review the hook code, but there are problems in prospect, and it's really boring to have to redo everything that was lost;)
After new test, the other hook (armorrack_3) have the same bug of corrupted save if you put item on armor_rack.
It does not seem to me to have had other problems of hook, apart from artak's abyss ...
I'll watch it all and keep you posted ...
I hope that you will be able to solve this thing, or at least warn your future players not to save before hitting the hooks / racks, which I will do for myself;)
Otherwise, good Christmas, happy new year and happy Easter;)
Thanks
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Hey, man,

I'll look into it.

I have fixed the other issues you mentioned, but I haven't uploaded a new version to Nexus Mods or ModDb yet.

In regards to the wallhook in Artak's Abyss, I'll work on it now.

Yes, It's irritating having to start again, but I never encountered the issue with the shield even when testing on two computers.
I had some members volunteer to test the mod, but they never replied to start the testing, which is why there are some issues.

Thanks for the feedback.
FrEEsiD

Post by FrEEsiD »

hi,
I was not complaining, just these 2 little things are really annoying when this happens. In addition it is not a problem in the gameplay, just me who have the bad luck to have click on these hooks;)
Your mod is great, really, and it does not absolutely tarnish the quality of your ideas and your work.
I can't wait to download the new version.
Thanks again
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

It's all good. I know you're not complaining and I agree with you.

I had to start my mod from the beginning when testing, because I made a huge design error that blocked my progression. :lol:

Anyway, if you are able to get passed that issue in Artak's then keep playing. If not, then I'll work on the update in the next few days.

Sorry for the trouble, but I'm confused as to why the hooks aren't working now... they were originally.
minmay

Post by minmay »

AndakRainor's excellent save editor will let you fix your corrupted save!
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
gylippos

Post by gylippos »

Thank you for this mod. I've been wandering your maps for a few days now and this is the first time I've looked at this site for hints. I think I got caught with the save crash when replacing items on hooks once, but got past by not using the hooks when I replayed. I didn't know until now that this was what got me through.
I love the compactness of your layout. I've had a go at most Grimrock mods on Nexus, and the better ones have this kind of attention to detail in their design. I haven't worked out yet what I am trying to do overall, but I expect that it will become apparent in time.
Your modified monsters are great, and finding that there are new threats to cope with (eg weapon stealing) keeps one thinking.
One of the very first things threw me though. I still don't know what the cenotaph is. I dug all around the obelisk at the start because in my home town we have an obelisk as a war memorial referred to as the cenotaph. Found nothing.
I haven't worked out what the "offering" has to be, and I have circulated the dungeon area going right all the time with as many variations as I can think of with the buttons without success.
A few keys don't match their locks. Is this deliberate?
Occasionally a hole is labelled "found nothing" but there is something there. Deliberate?
All in all, I am enjoying this a lot, and hope to eventually solve enough to get to the end. Thanks again.
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Gylippos .

Yeah, some locks don't match the keys. I wanted to ensure that the mod isn't too predictable that way.
Occasionally a hole is labelled "found nothing" but there is something there. Deliberate?
I'm not aware of any objects that can be found when the 'Found Nothing' statement arises.

I'm glad you like the mod and the monsters, but full credit must go to the creators of the monsters and the assets.
Zimber, Vanblam, THOM, etc. have done masterful jobs in creating the assets - I just used them.

In regards to the offering I'll need more information such as level name, because I don't know what you're referring to.

The main focus of the mod is to acquire strength and valuables. There's not specific threat, just a world that is dangerous.
The characters are trained to battle these threats and wish to become more knowledgeable, stronger, richer, etc.
What is purposely missing is a villain who is controlling everything.

I'll upload the update with the minor fixes in the next few months when I am able to do so.
In the meantime have fun.
paddy0761

Post by paddy0761 »

Thanks for a fantastic Mod. We are really enjoying playing, but need a little help retrieving the key within the force behind the gate in Azark's Abyss. The clue refers to "Both dark and smooth". Have tried placing canon ball, essences and Stormseed orb on the ledge and the altars, but to no avail. Desperately need a hint on what to do here.