The Allure of Nightfall - Version 1.1

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Slayer82

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 0.06

Post by Slayer82 »

It seems as though I'll be able to finish the mod by year's end.

I have been able to spend some time on it recently, which has pushed it nearer to completion.

There are some issues that I have faced that are irritating.
Here as some that must be fixed before it is released:

1. Player still doesn't require scrolls to cast spells. This may have to do with having both Magic of Grimrock spells AND Zimber's spells;
2. Some assets appear differently when play testing the mod out of the editor:
a) ZImber's 'Wisp' is invisible instead of appearing as a soft blueish hue;
b) special slimes are invisible (and only display their elemental effect) when they are used as an altar;
3). Some of Vanblam's assets don't trigger (wall buttons, dungeon hand stands, etc), which resulted in some script changes and edits.

There are still three stages that require completion, so these are the other factors that are delaying the release.
SpoilerShow
Diablo Inferno - Boss Battle

The above-mentioned points are still being worked on, but if anyone can offer some guidance on points 1 and 2a, then they would be appreciated.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
Torst

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 0.06

Post by Torst »

Good to hear that. ;)
Slayer82

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 0.5

Post by Slayer82 »

Finally, after two years I'm on the home stretch.

The mod will be complete by year's end and will be released on Nexus Mods and ModDb, as was Isle of the Deranged.

Although I'm nearing completion, I'm not going to release it until I can understand how to force the spellcaster to own the spell.
The Magic of Grimrock already has this coded into the mod and Leindel has mentioned this to me, but I am using both Leindel's and Zimber's assets, which may be the cause.

Again, if anyone knows a work-around for this issue, then I would like to hear it, or at least some suggestions.
Pompidom

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 0.1

Post by Pompidom »

I'll check if I have the same issue in my mod. And let you know. If you can let me know which script you used from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8365

In my mod, I managed to break weapon and armor pedestals this way. So I'm forced to do everything with world position.

In case there is no fix, there is always a way around though.

In my mod, I didn't want to deal with spell scrolls at all. Neither did I want to deal with the default spells.
I have a few custom classes and none of them have the cast by barehanded trait.

So there is no class that can cast spells by default at all.

There are also no wands that allow you to cast freely. Only dedicated wands with 2 specific actions.

For example a staff of fire +1/+2/+3/+4/+5 will instantly cast a level 1/2/3/4/5 fireburst for 0 energy with a cooldown of 5 seconds.
And as secondary action with a short buildup it will fire 1/2/3/4/5 fireballs for 20/40/60/80/100 energy.

Instant cast wands are incredibly satisfying to use. You can throw the player into more difficult encounters as they can simply turboclick everything instead of wasting time forming the right runes and such.
andyroosta

Re: The Allure of Nightfall - Version 0.1

Post by andyroosta »

looks forward to trying this one at year's end! :D
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Hi, Pompidom.

I attempted to use the scripts from the 'Force a champion to own the scroll before casting' forum, but it's not exactly what I want.
As Leindel explained to me, the Magic of Grimrock assets and scripts already have this function, as well as the spellbook that remembers each spell once learnt.

After attempting to place another script that forces the player to own the spell scroll, the mod didn't function as expected.
Instead, the character must have the spells in their possession, but not in a container. This will make the mod frustrating to play, especially with multiple spellcasters.

Additionally, the Zimber asset spells didn't require this.

In summary, I need Leindel's Magic of Grimrock spells to work with Zimber's and the vanilla spells - the mod is balanced around this.
Although a spellcaster is not required, it is much more interesting with one and the mod rewards having a spellcaster in your group in some areas, whilst penalising in others.

Clearly, the more assets I added to the mod, the more complicated the solution becomes.

I'm sure Leindel, Isaac, Zimber (retired), or the other veteran forum members have the knowledge as to what is required to solve it.
I just hope it's not to remove some assets...

Finally, could people reading this post reply to which languages (besides English) they speak?
I like to add a few messages, puzzles, and notes in various languages to give bilingual and multilingual people a random advantage hear and there. :)

There were a few in my other mod, so I thought I'd add some more.
minmay

Post by minmay »

If you're using Magic of Grimrock, the proper way would be to implement your custom spells in Magic of Grimrock's spell system; look at spells_functions.lua, it has all the spell definitions in the defOrdered table at the beginning. These will automatically get made into defineSpell() calls; don't call defineSpell() yourself or you'll be mashing two different spell systems together which will break all manner of things.

Magic of Grimrock already redesigns all the vanilla spells so you needn't reimplement them yourself.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
ozthekeymaster

Post by ozthekeymaster »

Finally, could people reading this post reply to which languages (besides English) they speak?
French (reasonably well) and Japanese (4.5 years of study + I can get my Japanese (native) teacher to check things too! :D )
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Ozthekeymaster,
That sounds doable.

I'll try and fit in a few of the signs and/or puzzles within the mod. There won't be too many, but a few will mix it up a little.
Of course people who aren't bilingual/multilingual will have to use a translator. :)
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Reworked Arcanum Terrain as it was too simplistic and linear for my liking.

Getting closer to completion now, but there's still a bit to do.