(WIP) Finisterrae mod

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
minmay

Re: (WIP) Finisterrae mod

Post by minmay »

The first warning sign that your mod+saving is using too much memory is if you save in the dungeon and it breaks the keyboard controls. You'll know this when you see it. After that comes texture corruption and straight-up crashes.

The biggest concerns for memory usage in-game are textures (because images are big), followed by models (also big but textures generally use a far greater proportion of memory), followed by sounds, followed by everything else. The memory usage from objects and components simply existing becomes significant in large enough dungeons, too (it's part of the reason Eye of the Atlantis still doesn't work, even now that it uses about the same amount of texture data as Isle of Nex).

The concerns for memory usage when saving are objects without minimalSaveState and their components, followed by objects with minimalSaveState. Components on objects without minimalSaveState have everything about their state saved; name, class, offset, rotation, connectors, whether it's enabled, all the other component properties, etc. And the object without minimalSaveState itself also has all its state information saved; world position, world rotation, etc.

Objects with minimalSaveState only have their name, id, x, y, facing, elevation, level saved, and are simply respawned at that position according to their definition when the game is loaded. It adds up when you have tens of thousands of them (it's what the object merger is for, although you should avoid using that if you possibly can), but they use overwhelmingly less space than full save state objects. Of course, this also means that you should never make any changes to minimalSaveState objects or their components (INCLUDING ENABLING/DISABLING THEM IN THE EDITOR) outside of GameObject:setPosition() (but NOT GameObject:setWorldPosition()), GameObject:destroy(), and GameObject:destroyDelayed(), because any changes other than completely destroying the object or changing its x/y/facing/elevation/level will completely disappear as soon as the game is saved and reloaded, which is not something you want.
Azel wrote:how often the player clicks that Save button
only way this would affect it is if saving actually had a memory leak, which i've tested and am pretty sure it doesn't. you can save 100000000 times in a row and it won't claim any more memory than saving once will. (of course, if there's not enough memory available to save safely, then getting a crash or memory corruption is more likely the more times you try saving, but that's just because you're doing more trials, not because successive saves are more likely to cause problems).
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

It's very clear, thanks Minmay.
I think I have still possible tweaks of some textures and some "twin" models I can replace using "materialOverrides". I have already reduced the import of standard assets, I can also (as you have suggested in the init of "Artifacts of Might") exclude item normals maps and portraits if necessary.
Thanks also Azel. My mod is not so huge, I think (if I compare it to some others... :mrgreen: ). I have 28 levels, but some are rather "lights" (few assets) and others have multiples elevations, so I doubt that the number of levels can be really significant in this mod.
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

Good news: after a severe slimming course, the dat file is now 190 Mo...I have also rebuild the normals maps of the sx_town assets I use (they were still at LG1 format). And more downsizing is still possible without reducing rhe mod itself: to be continued...

Finisterrae(LOG2)
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

I would like to thank the author and developer, as well as all those who directly or indirectly participated in the development of this great addon! :D :D

I passed a few different addons to the original game "LoG II". For example, I was very impressed addition "Korus island" at the time. But here ... From the first minutes, solving puzzles in a dark basement in the beginning, overcast incredible. I've played enough at the moment almost 15 hours of real time, but glancing recently in the "Statistics", I found that I found only a single secret and went 1/3 of all locations. It was incredibly surprised by this!.. I must admit, I have a complex addon. I have laid all the cards are now more than 50 marks "?" and descriptions, but I can't move forward in the game in solving all these mysteries!.. Although I did not go through the first year of computer games genre "quest" and I like them.

I liked the new location, especially winter landscapes. Incredibly beautiful! :D :D
SpoilerShow

However, something I completely lost... Very often come across some quest shelves in the walls with descriptions but I do not know what to put there. I just do not bring these things, I guess. Although I already gather all the found items in one place.

Another thing I have noticed time and again that when installing objects into the openings of these statues here (screenshot below) I have these items disappear and take them back I can not.
This is as it should be or is it a bug?..
SpoilerShow
Legend of Grimrock 1.3.7
Legend of Grimrock II 2.2.4
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

Nathaniel wrote:I would like to thank the author and developer, as well as all those who directly or indirectly participated in the development of this great addon! :D :D
I am very glad you like my mod!
Before give you answers to your questions, a remark: this thread was the WIP thread, is no longer active, so please go to FINISTERRAE version 1 to see all the answers:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12816

Finisterrae(LOG2)
ale78pc

Post by ale78pc »

Hello,

Just starting this mod, it seems very interesting!
But I have some problems in understanding to which element (air, spirit, life, etc.) are corresponding the 9 clay tiles found in the sack .... can anyone help?
I've tried to guess from the map found on a scroll, but my guessing does not seem to be correct ... :-(

Thanks!
Alessandro
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

ale78pc wrote:Hello,

But I have some problems in understanding to which element (air, spirit, life, etc.) are corresponding the 9 clay tiles found in the sack .... can anyone help?
I've tried to guess from the map found on a scroll, but my guessing does not seem to be correct ... :-(

Thanks!
Alessandro
look in the log2 manual
it's in Program Files\Legend of Grimrock 2\extras\Legend of Grimrock 2 Manual.pdf
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

ale78pc wrote:Hello,

Thanks!
Alessandro
Hi, Alessandro
I read your post just now, because you put your reply on the "bad" thread, the "WIP" one created during the first tests phase. In the future, please post on "FINISTERRAE version 1" viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12816 , the response will be faster.
Thanks to Zo Kath Ra, you have had the answer. One remark to better understanding: the order of the runes on the wizard panel is different of that I choose for the mod, like you see on the map. From top left to bottom right, you could see on the map: water/air/fire, earth/balance/life, matter/death/spirit.
Good play!
Duncan

Finisterrae(LOG2)