[Release] [1.2] Artifacts of Might

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
minmay

Re: [Release] [1.1] Artifacts of Might

Post by minmay »

Anyone who downloaded 1.1, please download 1.2 and replace it. There was a bug that took the normal maps away from all items.
1.2 is fully compatible with 1.1 saved games, so you don't need to start over.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
coreystinson

Re: [Release] [1.2] Artifacts of Might

Post by coreystinson »

I'm seconding what some other people have said. This is a fantastic mod. Very well balanced with nicely designed levels, secrets, boss fights, puzzles, and combat. While waiting around for the next commercially-released dungeon crawler, I think everyone should explore some quality mods like this one.
coreystinson

Re: [Release] [1.0] Artifacts of Might

Post by coreystinson »

Lightangels wrote:Great mod so far... but i got a problem actually.

I did read the Readme, and i stay stuck. Im looking for the blue gems actually, in the read me you say she are in a dried fountain south of crystal in the crypt.

I think u talk about 4 the little fountain who we full our water ? but there is nothing there ! I clicked everywhere and nothing ! I'm so stuck :/
It's there, but you
SpoilerShow
have to use the look-around feature to look down slightly to catch a glimpse of it
. This is very well hidden. Dirty, dirty, naughty puzzle and clue for it is pretty obtuse too. Pond??! :) I would have never found this w/o looking at the cheat file.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The glittering particle effect on the gem should be visible at any distance from the fountain without changing the camera angle. Although now that I think of it, some video cards (even new ones) don't handle depth bias correctly, which could prevent the glitter from being seen...so considering that, I'll probably move the anchor point up in 1.3. And/or make better glitter effects for the keys and gems.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
coreystinson

Post by coreystinson »

Right, I didn't see the glitter effect at all for some reason. Neither did the other two gems glitter. One thing I will mention is that my party was carrying permanent illumination via that talisman that had that characteristic. Don't know if that had anything to do with it? I also didn't test it in darkness as another poster suggested.
Kholdy

Post by Kholdy »

This is one of my favorite mods.

Let's start with puzzles. They're very inventive. I like that for some of them, knowing what to do isn't enough, ie. it's not enough just to know what to do then press a combination of buttons. For example, the 4 lit lantern puzzles were great. I had to get out a piece of paper and do some iterations to get the actual answer. Overall, I do feel like the puzzles were somewhat on the hard side for me, but that's okay. What I like most is that there seems to be a hint for every puzzle. Yes there are obscure things, but at least you are always given a clue that it exists (!) in the first place.

Boss fights were generally decent difficulty. Like with the original game, the difficulty isn't in a very powerful single boss, but in multiple enemies in a closed space. I think the hardest boss for me was the one with homing poison missiles and random zombies. The Guardians of Fire fight may have been more challenging for some, but I had 2 Lizardmen and Fire Shield so the damage I took was negligible. Overall, good variety.

Items were interesting. I like the most the orb of fire that casts Fireball for free, and the Dragon Spit, a reach weapon whose power is based on Willpower. Although my mage had 325 Energy at the end, Meteor Storm spam means I used that emergency weapon quite a bit. Heavy Weapons do seem stronger, but it seems like Revolvers are still not that strong UNTIL you get the Dragonbreath Revolver. Invoke (Firestaff special) was cool looking also. Unfortunately, I did The Depths last, so I didn't have much of a chance to use the Dragonbreath Revolver nor the Firestaff before the game ended. Perhaps there should be a final boss in the Wilderness to try out those weapons?

As for nitpicking, it felt like there was a lack of good DEX light weapons (other than Eye of Time). Diamond Edge (STR-based) with its +Accuracy was still much better than other DEX-based weapons. Perhaps there should be a high end DEX-based light weapon with +resist all, +Evasion, or +Energy? There was a Mace, I think the Mace of Order that I found around the same time as the Scythe, that is just way way better than any other heavy weapons for a while. Although it's one-handed, it's better than two-handed weapons (same damage, lower cooldown) and other one-handed weapons for some time. Plus it has -15 armor. It's arguably better than Delta! You should consider swapping it with a later heavy weapon for balance purposes. Lastly, I know that most people probably won't find all 4 boots of speed, but I think you should only have 2 in the game because movement/kiting in this game is kinda overpowered.

My characters didn't get to level 9, possibly because I let a few Fire Elementals hit me instead of killing them. So for folks who play the game, expect to have 8 * 2 = 16 skill points for non-farmers, including 3 tomes of knowledge that you can find (I think). My Farmer ended at level 12, and Mutation gave him stats through the roof. I let my other characters only sustain from water skins and gave him all the food. Do not nerf the food for this game! For many mods, you never know if a Farmer is viable during character creation because it could have anti-hunger features which does away with food, or be extremely food scarce. I'm glad I was able to use a Farmer for at least one mod.

My team:
-Lizard Rogue (Light Weapon 5, Critical 5, Armor 4, Dodge 3)
-Mino Fighter (Heavy Weapon 5, Critical 5, Armor 4, Accuracy 2), all rabbit feet
-Ratling Farmer (Alchemy 5, Fire 5, Air 3, Conc 3, Accuracy 2, Light Weapons 3)
-Lizard Alchemist (Firearms 5, Critical 5, Dodge 3, Atheletics 3, Accuracy 2)
Missed 2 skulls, 4 secrets, 2 special weapons, 2 fish.

Overall, great mod, and I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you like interesting puzzles.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The Mace of Order is intentionally better than the other heavy weapons because the level it's in is completely optional; same thing with the Eye of Time. Similar situation to the Dismantler in Grimrock 1. Probably that's a bad design anyway, though. Also, the next best (and hardest to get) heavy weapons are Hardcleave and the Inquisitor, not Delta. Delta isn't anywhere close, it is a mid-level weapon.
Also, there's no scythe in this dungeon, and the scythe is the highest or second-highest (after meteor hammer) DPS heavy weapon in Isle of Nex.

Eye of Time actually has better DPS than Diamond Edge against monsters without protection, if you have equal (and not very low) strength and dexterity. And that's most monsters! The bigger problem is that strength is easier to get than dexterity, and unfortunately fixing that is outside the scope of an example dungeon.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
MarcoScherer

Post by MarcoScherer »

Outstanding dungeon, totally awesome!!

Although I'm stuck right now... in the Gardens I just killed the elemental in the south east room and found a "mystic green gem". But I can't get out here. The teleport is blocked by a force field and there's no way out. Tried putting all types of things on the stone altar and searched everywhere for a button, but nothing. How do I get out?
minmay

Post by minmay »

There is a secret button here:
It toggles the force field on and off.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
MarcoScherer

Post by MarcoScherer »

minmay wrote:There is a secret button here:
It toggles the force field on and off.
Ooooh, found it. Damn, that one is really really small. Thanks!