[Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Modders

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dhomochevsky

Re: [Open / Signup] One Room Round Robin 3 - Calling All Mod

Post by Dhomochevsky »

Sorry for my english. I made my room about one year ago and i send to John a "more or less" final version because my computer crashes and can't finish all my monster/bugs tests (and i can't buy another computer until several months later). If the room need more balance can be modified without problems.
Some points about that:
Dhomochevsky's room spawns monsters right next to the player with no warning
Ok next time i put a message "Hey player i'm going to spawn monster near you but is a secret ok? 3...2...1... surprise!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
and has mosquito swarms and an ogre that takes ages to kill...
Ogre is optional monster behind a secret, you can kill later (if you like) and mosquito swarm can be changed if the party have no level for this. Both can be changed.
Dhomochevsky's room:
- Minor: You can fall into the pushable blocks.
- Minor: The bounding box on the flying crow is wrong, causing it to be occluded when it shouldn't be (and not occluded when it should).
Thx for that, i hope this are the only bugs of the room.
Dhomochevsky's room does more damage to the party than any other room in the mod despite supposedly being mid-level.
Perhaps i'm wrong (because i do that room one year ago more or less) but i only remember 2 obligatory damage in my room. Spike trap (you can avoid it perfectly only with a good timing) and fire trap (i try a lot of times with a party level 1 without equipment and nobody dies with fall/fire). There are several optional damage for secrets etc but there are not instant kill for a level 1 party without equipment. Anyway like i say before if the room need more balance no problem with that. I'm not the best modder and i'm sure my room is only a simple room for this mod ;)
Ok minmay, thx for your time and your opinion.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Hi!

I just looked at Jgwman's room and the editor freezed (not crashed) when I placed randomly some force fields side by side. It seems fireballs quickly stacked there; big chain of impact sounds and cumulative lights illuminating the room, and then the freeze with only the music still playing, I had to force the editor to stop. I hope you will reproduce it easily to correct it :)

So, I am starting implementing the room 18, I don't know what a reasonable date is for the project, what about 15/7, is it too much time to ask?

(I just realized copy/paste works between dungeons in the editor, that's cool for the integration week!)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:(I just realized copy/paste works between dungeons in the editor, that's cool for the integration week!)
I remember asking for that feature, but I didn't know that it had been implemented. 8-) 8-)
minmay

Post by minmay »

Keep in mind that editor copy/paste won't preserve entity ids. Because of that, I prefer to copy/paste from dungeon.lua when moving entities across dungeons.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Someone redefined the material "water_surface_calm"??? I got a bad rendering, very different from my mod when trying to copy some object with this material to orrr3. I then tried to copy the definition of this material (last room in init.lua) from the grimrock 2 asset pack 2 and now it renders correctly...

edit: okay Duncan changed the waveAmplitude of the material, and made it doubleSided. Is it really needed for your room? I need the default value for what I try to do, or find another idea!
Last edited by AndakRainor on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

AndakRainor wrote:Someone redefined the material "water_surface_calm"??? I got a bad rendering, very different from my mod when trying to copy some object with this material to orrr3. I then tried to copy the definition of this material (last room in init.lua) from the grimrock 2 asset pack 2 and now it renders correctly...

eidt: okay Duncan changed the waveAmplitude of the material, and made it doubleSided. Is it really needed for your room? I need the default value for what I try to do, or find another idea!
It is possible to redefine it on the fly; while it's not in the ORRR3 [afaik], I made a function call to work with the Winter Tile-Set that freezes or thaws water on demand. So the "water_surface_calm" material can be [partially] re-definable ~even per room, if need be.

Last edited by Isaac on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
minmay

Post by minmay »

I actually did that for my room for the "ocean_water" material:

Code: Select all

-- Water shaders are partially hardcoded. If a material is not named
-- "ocean_water", "water_surface_calm", or "water_surface_underwater", it won't
-- work. So I redefine ocean_water and have it change depending on whether or
-- not the player is in my room.
defineMaterial{
	name = "ocean_water",
	shader = "ocean_water",
	diffuseMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_foam_dif.tga",
	normalMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_normal.tga",
	displacementMap = "assets/textures/env/ocean_disp.tga",
	doubleSided = false,
	lighting = true,
	alphaTest = false,
	blendMode = "Translucent",
	textureAddressMode = "Wrap",
	glossiness = 80,
	depthBias = 0,
	texOffset = 0,
	foamOffset = 0,
	foamAmount = 1,
	waveAmplitude = 50,
	onUpdate = function(self, time)
		if min_room.script.inRoom then
			self:setParam("texOffset", time*0.004)
			self:setParam("waveAmplitude", 0)
			self:setParam("foamAmount", 0)
			self:setParam("foamOffset", 0)

-- set textures every frame because of saving/loading
				self:setTexture("diffuseMap","assets/textures/env/ocean_foam_dif.tga")
				self:setTexture("normalMap","assets/textures/env/tomb_rock_tile_normal.tga")
				self:setTexture("displacementMap","mod_assets/rooms/minmay/flat_disp.tga")
		else	-- normal ocean_water behaviour
			-- these are the default textures so they do not need to be set every frame
			-- in case of save/load
			if min_room.script.justLeftRoom then
				self:setTexture("diffuseMap","assets/textures/env/ocean_foam_dif.tga")
				self:setTexture("normalMap","assets/textures/env/ocean_normal.tga")
				self:setTexture("displacementMap","assets/textures/env/ocean_disp.tga")
				min_room.script.updatedWater()
			end
			self:setParam("texOffset", time*0.2)
			self:setParam("foamOffset", math.sin(time) * 0.5)
		end
	end,
}
This onUpdate hook makes it behave exactly like the default ocean_water as long as the player is not inside my room. It is easy to do the same for Duncan's room. It's a nasty hack, of course, but necessary as long as the game limits us to 3 water materials.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

Xanathar's room starts with an encounter with multiple overleveled ratlings in a place where there's no open space, so most parties can only kill them by ladder dancing (quite tedious), and also has mosquito swarms (the blockers make most of them not really a threat, but that's rather bad).
And all of these rooms are encountered very early when the party is level 1-6, and has almost no equipment and very little damage output.
My room is in the bog - at that point the characters should be (as defined in the first posts) level 5 to 9 and is designed intentionally to be in the upper half of that.

It has been playtested a lot using the equipment you should likely have by level 6/7 - see the whatever orb of cheating that I did for that purpose. At level 6 with proper equipment, the first couple rats can be done head-on full frontal and the other by fleeing and reattacking.

That said, of course if it is too difficult feel free to rebalance, but the rewards are designed to be higher level too; it was the first room to be done (more than one year ago btw) so it's hard to balance in advance.

A thing likely to be removed are the magic boots in the secret - they might wreck havoc in somebody elses room .
Don't lose sight of your target demographic, not everyone playing this is as good at combat as you, and unlike you, they aren't going to know everything about your room in advance.
First, likely I fear that the target demographic of this is currently "nobody". That said, people are unlikely to play mods before beating the main game and that means they are likely to be very proficient with combat.

I honestly don't expect noobs to be playing a LoG2 mod almost 2 years after the game - either they are experts wanting to enjoy another challenge or they are just skipping to play something else.
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

Minmay, we are close with first implementations, not to release. Will respond more in about 24hrs when I have sustained Internet but I've started testing as well, my room's bugs have been fixed and others recorded.
minmay

Post by minmay »

I know, which is why I didn't mention release except in the context of "we need testers". I'm certainly not trying to throw anyone under the bus, as it were.

RE: difficulty, I'm using the first two ORRR dungeons as context. They didn't have combat that was much tougher than the original game, and ORRR2 was released quite a while after it, too. I don't mind difficult combat if that's what people want to go for. I still don't like slow combat (monsters with excessive HP) or deathtraps but I'm not trying to exert nonexistent creative control over other people's content, just point out things I think could be improved.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources