Asset Pack V2

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
petri

Asset Pack V2

Post by petri »

Hi!

The full asset pack for modding has been released. The pack contains practically all scripts, textures, models and animation files of the game. Sound files are not included because their licensing terms don't allow redistributing them.

Please read the licensing terms first:
http://www.grimrock.net/modding/modding ... age-terms/

Download the asset pack here:
http://grimrock.net/extras/grimrock2_asset_pack_2.zip

The custom file formats are explained here:
http://www.grimrock.net/modding/model-a ... e-formats/

Happy modding!
MrChoke

Re: Asset Pack V2

Post by MrChoke »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can remove all the "setEmissiveColor()" code to give different colors to my objects and update the models themselves!

Thanks!
Last edited by MrChoke on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maneus

Post by maneus »

Thanks a lot, guys.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I'm not a mod maker, but a designer and I might make some assets myself in the future. I fo however have some questions about the rules.
You cannot charge money for your mod.
When creating mods, you are responsible for respecting the intellectual property (copyrights, trademarks) of companies and individuals.
You, of course, retain the copyright to your own original creations
To make sure that we have full freedom to develop games, we would like to emphasize that we retain the rights to use any ideas from mods
The mods are copyrighted by the maker, but you still can use ideas from it without paying the modder for his work. Seems fair, but how far can you go with this? If you copy a great deal of code and assets from him, he should at least be credited for his hard work or get some sort of reward (discount coupon or a closed beta invite for the next game).
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

This is excellent news - many thanks for your hard work in bringing this to us!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

this is really nice, thanks a lot !
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
petri

Post by petri »

Frenchie wrote:I'm not a mod maker, but a designer and I might make some assets myself in the future. I fo however have some questions about the rules.
You cannot charge money for your mod.
When creating mods, you are responsible for respecting the intellectual property (copyrights, trademarks) of companies and individuals.
You, of course, retain the copyright to your own original creations
To make sure that we have full freedom to develop games, we would like to emphasize that we retain the rights to use any ideas from mods
The mods are copyrighted by the maker, but you still can use ideas from it without paying the modder for his work. Seems fair, but how far can you go with this? If you copy a great deal of code and assets from him, he should at least be credited for his hard work or get some sort of reward (discount coupon or a closed beta invite for the next game).
We are never going to use any files from any mod. The point of all this is to protect us in the following case:

1) a mod has a cool new spell that summons pink elephants
2) we come up with the same idea
3) the mod maker sues us because "they stole my cool idea about the pink elephants"
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I didn't mean any disrespect, but if you see what Skuggasveinn has done with the 'snowy worlds' it would be a lot of work if you have to do it yourself since you don't want to use any files from a mod. Some modders would gladly donate their work, but if that work is put in a commercial product I think it would be fair to compensate it. I'm not suggesting to employ these hard working freelancers, but there are some very talented 'fans' out there.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Like Petri just said, it's just ideas, they would never use Skuggs' files. For example, Skuggs retains the copyright for his textures/models, and can decide to include them in a Grimrock mod, or even sell his stuff on a model site in parallel, provided he did it all from scratch and not by modifying Grimrock assets.

But if AH wishes to include a snow world in LoG 3, they will ineed build it from scratch, and Skuggasveinn couldn't sue them for using his "idea".

In other news, THAAAANK YOU so much for this at last :) :D :) :shock: 8-)