Melee attacks that cannot miss?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Melee attacks that cannot miss?

Post by minmay »

I have a mechanic where I really want the player to be unable to miss with melee attacks; every attack should hit. However, no matter what I set player accuracy and monster evasion to (1000 vs -1000, infinity vs -infinity, etc), there is still a chance to miss. Is there any way to actually get rid of misses entirely?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Soaponarope

Re: Melee attacks that cannot miss?

Post by Soaponarope »

Have the attack produce a spell effect which does melee physical damage perhaps.
minmay

Post by minmay »

I didn't ask how to damage a monster. I know plenty of ways to do that. I asked if there was a way to prevent melee attacks from missing. If I wanted you to answer a different question, I would have asked a different question.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Soaponarope

Post by Soaponarope »

I thought you meant a single instance or attack type(not every attack in the game) in which case having a spell mimic an attack would serve the same purpose since the miss chance is likely hard coded.
minmay

Post by minmay »

I said melee attack. I meant melee attack. A character attacking with their hands or an item with a MeleeAttackComponent, creating a swipe effect, potentially hitting a monster or obstacle depending on their / the party's position, and if it hits a monster, playing the appropriate animation and hit effect from the correct location in the correct position. I am quite certain that this cannot be emulated without actually making a melee or projectile attack (which can miss); tile damagers, such as spells, certainly don't have access to everything that would be necessary.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

A little on edge aren't ya? Just be happy SnowOwly didn't respond or you'd have to figure out why putting food in slot 19 and 21 while facing East isn't the answer to your question.