Hiring party member(s) script - SOLVED

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Duncan1246

Re: Hiring party member(s) script - SOLVED

Post by Duncan1246 »

kelly1111 wrote:Hello there,

Some help please. I just can't get the script to work. I get no error message from the game, but when I press the button nothing happens. The game kinda freezes up. I copied everything from the demo and named (the scripts) the same, connected it the same. I think the same thing happened as with duncan (see below). Can someone write a step by step proces for me so I can see what I am missing?

In case, what I have done in my mod :
Add a line in init.lua: import "mod_assets/jkos/init_champions.lua"
Put file jkos in mod_assets
Modify init_champions to define champions (and only that)
Put an instance of champions_recruit.script in the mod, but it seems to be unnecessary in your last version?
Create a script calling external champions.script
Connect reccruit script to a button to call it like in your demo... and crash (but editor keeps working)
I am wondering about your post... you use exactly my terms including the suspension points (but, yes, smiley out)! Too lazy to write your own? It's does not matter for me, but it's a bit strange... Am I Kelly1111?? :D
Duncan
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
Azel

Post by Azel »

Could be a bot. I've seen it a few times, where these User Accounts take posts from others and combine them. Very Botty indeed.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Haha,

I am no bot ... just plain ass lazy
sorry for stealing your words. but I am still having the same problem, cant get it to work :)
Azel

Post by Azel »

Oh snap! This Bot is alive! :P

jk, sorry for the confusion. There really are Bots that pop up and Post Crawl. oops
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

kelly1111 wrote:Haha,

I am no bot ... just plain ass lazy
sorry for stealing your words. but I am still having the same problem, cant get it to work :)
Hi Kelly,
You are welcome.It's only that my text was without
"quotes"
so I think "it's my post" and I read after "Kelly1111" and I was in the 5th dimension :lol:
To return to the subject, I confirm that the version is the cause of the issue I described
Duncan
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

Greetings.
I’ve been making some headway into a pet project of mine. I wanted to search around to see if anyone had figured out how to add/drop party members, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this thread. However, it turns out this blasted thing is very difficult to work with. I am not tech savvy at all. I know no scripting and use what I can copy and paste from others.
First, I tried to set up something similar to what you show in the example. I copied your scripts exactly. I have no idea what the third one is for. It’s that long list of… things. I copied that anyway and stuck it on the bottom of the screen. Once that was all set, I saw that the external file words were red. I figured that meant that it wasn’t connected. After fiddling with it for about an hour, I managed to make them white by moving the Champions folder into my mod’s assets folder. However, now the preview crashes when I trigger it, saying: “Attempt to index global “champions” (a nil value)”. I judge that to mean the champions file isn’t being recognized. I’m not sure how that can be when I moved it closer.
I have no idea where to go from here. If I did I’d still be fiddling with it. I don’t post on a forum lightly. I have no experience with them and I find them intimidating. They don’t teach this scripting stuff in the Creative Writing program, and I have a feeling it’s even more complicated than that.
I love Grimrock for its atmosphere, puzzles, and hints at lore. I would also love to be able to apply this crucial storytelling element into my amateur mod. If there is anyone around these forums these days, I’d be grateful for some tips.
(I tried to post this once before and I had a well worded message to post. Then when I tried to send it I had to log back in, and I lost it all. Is that how all forums work? That’s rather silly to me.)
Thank you for your time.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

Torham Zed wrote:Greetings.
I’ve been making some headway into a pet project of mine. I wanted to search around to see if anyone had figured out how to add/drop party members, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this thread. However, it turns out this blasted thing is very difficult to work with. I am not tech savvy at all. I know no scripting and use what I can copy and paste from others.
First, I tried to set up something similar to what you show in the example. I copied your scripts exactly. I have no idea what the third one is for. It’s that long list of… things. I copied that anyway and stuck it on the bottom of the screen. Once that was all set, I saw that the external file words were red. I figured that meant that it wasn’t connected. After fiddling with it for about an hour, I managed to make them white by moving the Champions folder into my mod’s assets folder. However, now the preview crashes when I trigger it, saying: “Attempt to index global “champions” (a nil value)”. I judge that to mean the champions file isn’t being recognized. I’m not sure how that can be when I moved it closer.
I have no idea where to go from here. If I did I’d still be fiddling with it. I don’t post on a forum lightly. I have no experience with them and I find them intimidating. They don’t teach this scripting stuff in the Creative Writing program, and I have a feeling it’s even more complicated than that.
I love Grimrock for its atmosphere, puzzles, and hints at lore. I would also love to be able to apply this crucial storytelling element into my amateur mod. If there is anyone around these forums these days, I’d be grateful for some tips.
(I tried to post this once before and I had a well worded message to post. Then when I tried to send it I had to log back in, and I lost it all. Is that how all forums work? That’s rather silly to me.)
Thank you for your time.
Hi Torham,
in my opinion the best way you can do is to check how the example dungeon is done (including checking all the lua files and folders), try to recopy it exactly as it is inside your project and then start doing slightly modifications. Dont forget that just script are not everything, you need also modify your init.lua file and copy all necessary folders.
Do not expect it will go smoothly at first time, I am not script expert and it took me sometimes several hours just to crack some minor issue (or not). welcome to the world of modding :)
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Torham Zed

Post by Torham Zed »

I'm not sure what you mean by init.lua file, but I'll give it a go nonetheless. I might re-install the thing because I've fiddled with it beyond repair by now and I think I might have ruined it. Once that's done, I suppose I'll copy everything into my Mod Assets. Following the directions given, it would seem the Champion's folder would belong in the Dungeon folder, but that doesn't work. It also doesn't seem like the other two of the three script entities are connected to anything. Is that so? The one that brings up the GUI is connected to the trigger, obviously, but what about the other two? They just seem to float there. Won't they simply not do anything if they aren't connected, or at least selected to run-at-start?

It's true though. I'm not cut out for this and never will be. I just want to tell stories, that's all. In my experiments in Grimrock 1, I never had the courage to even attempt copying and pasting scripts. I suppose after I gained the self-confidence, I got carried away. Even so, I won't give up on it just yet.

I thank you for your response, and dealing with my defeatist tone. Your patience is appreciated.
Azel

Post by Azel »

There's plenty out-of-the-box with Grimrock 2 that allows you to tell a great story. You should consider completing your idea using what is available by default in the Editor. Then, once complete, you can go back to perform another iteration that involves enhancing features. This way, you can even share your completed product so that others can help you implement features in the next iteration. If a story is worth telling, in a game that is worth playing, then you won't need all the fancy bells n' whistles :mrgreen: