Scripting: manage more partys than one? (switching)

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
germanny

Scripting: manage more partys than one? (switching)

Post by germanny »

Would it be possible to have more than one party in one game?
Say, one party a pulls a lever in dungeon x, while party b wait for gate opening in dungeon y? xD
This is more complicated programming - not my part, too few time, i´m more on the gfx side.
Is anyone able to think of with this engine - after editor/script reference is complete?

To test out possibilities^^
AH Staff anyone?
Dungeon Master Resource Pack worker and passionated Beer drinker
Dr.Disaster

Re: Scripting: manage more partys than one? (switching)

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Several LoG1 mods showed that characters can be swapped in and out. With that in mind i think it is possible to have more then one party but not at the same time/on the same screen like the Bloodwych co-op mode.

If you want to accomplish something similar to Bloodwych with the given engine it would require the creation of a party switcher tool or hot key to go from party A at location X to party B at location Y and back.
Doridion

Post by Doridion »

Dr, in bloodwych, there's another system for who plays alone, and think that could interest germanny.

The communicate panel ( i'm thinking to redo it for LoG2 and for my Bloodwych mod ).

In this one, you have possibilty to choose a champion, let him at a point and call him back ( Always fun to see your champion searching after you xD ). You can even switch views between party/champion. More else, by this panel, you can manage bargaining, all communications, getting in or out a champion, and a good quantity of elements.

Leki already done his EDI TOOLS, that prove us the possibility in LoG2, to "easily" create something close.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

Bloodwych: the game that started it all for me. Hours upon hours of time into that one
Would be cool to have a split screen play mode, but then again.. I used to play with a friend with two joysticks on my atari st....
such a thing cannot be done on a pc ?
Doridion

Post by Doridion »

kelly1111 wrote:Bloodwych: the game that started it all for me. Hours upon hours of time into that one
Would be cool to have a split screen play mode, but then again.. I used to play with a friend with two joysticks on my atari st....
such a thing cannot be done on a pc ?
No kelly111, don' think that LoG2 can be played with 2 players ( not coded for multiplayer by ethernet/internet ). The question was already asked for LoG1
MadCatter

Post by MadCatter »

If it isn't possible to have 2 party entities at the same time, then you might be able to do a workaround which saves all the party's stats/location/inventory to a variable, then teleports the player to the saved location of the second party, and vice versa.
Just add a fade to black and it could work fairly smoothly in theory.

Edit: Just an idea, once people are comfortable with NPC programming, it should be possible to create a NPC entity at the location of the inactive party. Lots of coding required though and probably several new models required.
Doridion

Post by Doridion »

NPC brains are quite simple to do ( mostly vendors ) but NPC brain for fighting etc will be more complex. Firstly, because LoG2 have no "friendly fire" elements coded ( so actually, I don't know if you can make a custom monster attacking/fighting/killing other monsters, perhaps by traits ). Secondly, because brains are actually limited.

A monster brain do, for their deplacements, not enought actions ( deplacement from A to B, activate this or that logic, attack party ) ... so, we must code more actions, like "heal yourself", "eat", "take objects on floor", "use objects", "go rest", "make strategic fold", etc

It could be wonderfull if we add that, but actually, we don't have enough knowings in the LoG2 game possibilities ((