A Question, and a Request

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Jirodyne

A Question, and a Request

Post by Jirodyne »

My question is, would it be possible to remake the entirity of LoG 1, mainly the Master Quest Mod with all it's extra stuff, in the LoG 2 editor? And if so, to make a Master Quest like mod for LoG 2 to expand LoG 2 even more with More secrets, content, and adventures.

And my requests depends on the answers to the two questions asked, but they are:

Remake LoG 1 Master Quest in LoG 2, with some slight balanced changes for the new system. I would love to revisit Grimrock.

Make a LoG 2 Master Quest like mod, Remake LoG 2 Main Game but with more extra content to make it better.

And this one is a little crazy and will probably never be done. But if Someone did Remake LoG 1 Master Quest; and a LoG 2 Master Quest; To have those two connected in 1 map! Have people start at the top of Grimrock Prison, go down through Grimrock 1 game, then at the end 'escape' and end up on the beach of LoG 2 and keep going! AKA, Connect LoG 1 and LoG 2 in one big massive map/mod!
Doridion

Re: A Question, and a Request

Post by Doridion »

I can now answer you that : YES, it's possible to redo entirely LoG1 in LoG2. Needs just to do an equivalent pack of the MQ asset, but it's possible ;)
petri

Post by petri »

Before anyone starts doing LoG1 for Grimrock 2, please consider this: this would hurt the sales of Grimrock 1 (and the LoG1 + LoG2 bundle), because owners of Grimrock 2 would get Grimrock 1 essentially for free. We don't have a policy in place for this at this point, but it's possible we would have to kindly ask you not to do this.
Jouki

Post by Jouki »

petri wrote:Before anyone starts doing LoG1 for Grimrock 2, please consider this: this would hurt the sales of Grimrock 1 (and the LoG1 + LoG2 bundle), because owners of Grimrock 2 would get Grimrock 1 essentially for free. We don't have a policy in place for this at this point, but it's possible we would have to kindly ask you not to do this.
I wonder LoG1 is still selling but your point is right. On the other hand, modders would be dissapointed because someone could create expansion LoG1 with outdoor scenes (such as "balcony" :lol: and one big chasm down around the mount)
Jirodyne

Post by Jirodyne »

petri wrote:Before anyone starts doing LoG1 for Grimrock 2, please consider this: this would hurt the sales of Grimrock 1 (and the LoG1 + LoG2 bundle), because owners of Grimrock 2 would get Grimrock 1 essentially for free. We don't have a policy in place for this at this point, but it's possible we would have to kindly ask you not to do this.
That is an interesting point, but do people still buy Grimrock 1 still? Tho I guess it doesn't have to be an exact copy. Maybe a remake using new puzzles and features from LoG 2, just named after the prison 'Grimrock'. Maybe follow the layout of the book at the end of the Second ending, but not designed as a copy of LoG 1. I just love LoG 1 so much, and would love to explore it with the new systems from LoG 2, like the new classes and races, new enemies, and new weapons and spells. And for it to connect to LoG 2.

Something like they have to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. You can, with a mod, play #1 on the updated #2 engine and play from 1 to the end of 2 all in 1 game. I know a few other games have mods that do that too, tho I can't think of any off the top of my head, that take the older first game, and bring it into the updated sequel with better mechanics, balance, and fixes.
petri

Post by petri »

Yes, LoG1 is still selling. Especially now that Grimrock 2 is out, more people have found Grimrock. The sales of the bundle have surprised us very positively.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Let's not do anything that might hurt the sales of LoG1. We want AH to have plenty of money for LoG3, right?

But of course not so much money that they quit making games and retire to the island of Nex :)
Jouki

Post by Jouki »

Ixnatifual wrote:Let's not do anything that might hurt the sales of LoG1. We want AH to have plenty of money for LoG3, right?

But of course not so much money that they quit making games and retire to the island of Nex :)

actually maybe I'd like too see sth like Datadisk to LoG2 than LoG3 because I think it'll be better for us, modders, when we get long time support for editor and expanding its features

but yeah at least let's wait until LoG1 will get to the normal sales :)
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I think people could remake LoG1 in the LoG2 editor but give ownership to AH, so they can sell it for the same price as LoG1 and add it to the combo package for free. I would love to see how an improved LoG1+ would look like.

To avoid any problems with AH let our greatest modders each make a level based on the original LoG1 or the modded one 'on steroids'. We could even publish beta versions of those levels for testing. Don't make the 2 end levels as people would have no need to buy LoG1. One of the beta testers like Stuggasvein or AH themselves could make the end levels and combine all alpha level mods into a single one. Then send it to AH for publishing. There should a plaque in the game with the modder's names.

Of course the modders who worked on it get a free copy and those that already bought LoG1 and LoG2 might feel left out. But face it $15 for a great custom remake is not much.

As a bonus the beta tester or AH could add a special level leading to LoG2. For example how one or more of the escaped prisoners found a job as a sailor...
minmay

Post by minmay »

Frenchie wrote:Of course the modders who worked on it get a free copy and those that already bought LoG1 and LoG2 might feel left out.
How would a modder work on this project without already owning LoG1 and LoG2? I also think you're greatly overestimating the work required.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.