[Technique] Simulate Old School (no map)

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
NutJob

[Technique] Simulate Old School (no map)

Post by NutJob »

First off, I think there's no way to disallow the use of the map if the player has not selected Old School. I believe access to something like this is Private.

So, I'm seeking collaboration to simulate. I currently don't know enough about accessing the GUI or using hooks to do this myself so anyone could help me figure this out It'd be generously appreciated.

This is pseudo-code to explain my outcome, the result being: 1 player may still open [TAB] the map but 2) the map just shows a grid.

Pseudo-code + Setup
1) create a level (TheVoid) at some obscure location (9,9,-9) that you'll never use as a player-accessible level and draw the 'void' tile over its entirety.
2) add a hook into the party (fake hook: onMapGuiOpen)

Code: Select all

-- omitted JSON
      onMapGuiOpen = function(level)
         local theVoidLevel = 0
         if level ~= theVoidLevel then
              reDrawMap(theVoidLevel)
         end
     end
     -- omitted JSON
Like I mentioned above, I have no clue how any part of the grimrock application works. 0% ~laughs~
Jackard

Re: [Technique] Simulate Old School (no map)

Post by Jackard »

My levels have several overlapping floors. It'd be nice if I had some way to control what appeared on the maps of my players. As is it's just a mess.
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

Jackard wrote:My levels have several overlapping floors. It'd be nice if I had some way to control what appeared on the maps of my players. As is it's just a mess.
That's one of a few reasons why I want to do this. Being I use invisible platforms and walls the map doesn't tell the truth anyways and can be down-right confusing so might as well just show them no walls (a grid of nothing).
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

I guess this ultimately wouldn't work because the player can just scroll up/down through the layers.
Jackard

Post by Jackard »

Imo just recommend an old school play through, no reason to stress yourself over something this minor
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

Ugh! I wasn't aware I was stressing. =)

I just like trying stuff to try it. I just called destroy() on the party. Why? Why not. ~laughs~
cameronC

Post by cameronC »

It looks like the Scripting Ref has stuff to manipulate the automap so it might be possible to replace a blank tile over what the game wants to put on the map (Or change the graphic used for certain objects/tiles that might fit in better with your specific dungeon). Likewise, I'd like the ability to reveal all/portions of the map when needed (Or maybe something that even ERASES the automap progress the party has made on that floor?)
Writer and sometimes artist of the very slightly acclaimed comic series Scrambled Circuits. A comic series about a robot written by a human.

Grimrock 2 socketSystem: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8546 / Github
TSotP

Post by TSotP »

i don't know, i could see an application for this on a mod that actually has you find a 'Journal' and 'pen' to actually be able to draw your map.

it could be set that once you have Journal, Pen and Rest, you become able to see your map (as so far explored) giving the impression that you sat down and drew out your map before 'camping' for the night.

and if there was a way, have the map not auto update while exploring, but requiring a 'rest' before updating.
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

I'd be good, too, with a map that only showed the layer, of the level, the party is on. That way when I have a corridor go under a room [on the same level] it doesn't disorient the surrounding walls.
Jackard

Post by Jackard »

NutJob wrote:I'd be good, too, with a map that only showed the layer, of the level, the party is on. That way when I have a corridor go under a room [on the same level] it doesn't disorient the surrounding walls.
I would prefer this, especially if you could control which layer is shown like in Zelda.