Future features for the Editor?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
gambit37

Future features for the Editor?

Post by gambit37 »

The Dungeon Editor is great, but it's missing a few features that would really help:

1) The ability to change a placed entity into something else, without having to delete/re-create it
2) The ability to hover over a tile and see its floor/ceiling height
3) A quick way of changing the z-height of an item using a keyboard shortcut (rather than having to type in the coordinate)
4) A visual preview of the assets in the asset browser.
5) Remember the state/size of the preview window, the map/zoom level and the level being viewed when you save a dungeon

Does the Editor get feature upgrades like this, or is it basically feature locked now? It would be great to see some of these additions, they would really help speed up dungeon development.
Vice Dellos

Re: Future features for the Editor?

Post by Vice Dellos »

it has 3) i think its set to the numpad's / and * by default you can look it up in the editor preferences
MrChoke

Post by MrChoke »

I vote for number 2. We cannot be certain what type, floor and elevation a tile is without re-applying it. Yeah we can some visual help but its not enough. We need it displayed on mouse over.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

@Vice Dellos: Cool, I missed that in the preferences: I've now set it to [ and ] which is much quicker. Thanks.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

just some quick ideas
-- editor should automtically place objects in correct height according to he elevation, so you do not need type manually evdry time
-- some direct connection to asset scripting (for example creating copy of some object, defining its parameters etc...)
-- shortcuts for move party on z axis when in play-edit-mode
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
OGDA

Post by OGDA »

Some more ideas:

6) Setting custom tags for assets (for easier search and grouped search) would be nice
7) Selecting windows with F-Keys
8) Auto-complete words in the scripting section
9) Option to reset the status of the editor-party
10) On-the-fly-editing with real time popup of the changes in the 3d-window ;-D
Batty

Post by Batty »

Full control of the camera! :D
Montis

Post by Montis »

- make the (play preview) map zoomable with mouse wheel, like in the regular game
When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice.

My completed dungeon (LoG1): Hypercube
NutJob

Post by NutJob »

OGDA wrote:Some more ideas:
9) Option to reset the status of the editor-party
That's the only one I want so I don't have to find my Lever to reset my party. Script is called pullMyFinger()

Edit: I got one I really need. A way to set an "Editor Note" right on the map so I can name rooms. I start to get mixed up with puzzles, secrets, assets, and entites are for what room, area, sector because I dynamically make so much stuff instead of dropping icons on the map. So an entity that looks like a little post-it note or a text document icon or something like that to drop on a room and Name it and have Description area. Obviously it wouldn't be compiled at Export.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

when some error is detected (like missing texture asset etc...) editor shoould NOT shut down completely ! I need restart whole game and go to editor...kind of annoying
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis