Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
LunasC

Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Post by LunasC »

Isaac wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:Your "(\mod_assets\models\ceiling_cover_grate ( actual path ))" makes no sense because it locates your model file outside your mod folder
It's an odd fact that LoG mods allow that too. You can load files from anywhere in the file system that one's user permissions allow; but for use in mods, it only makes sense to give the relative path inside the mod's folder.
LunasC wrote:this is everything I can think of.

SpoilerShow
}

defineObject{
name = "ceiling_cover",
components = {
{
class = "Model",
model = "mod_assets/models/ceiling_cover_grate.fbx",
},

}
}

(\mod_assets\models\ceiling_cover_grate ( actual path ))
Is this a typo? ~Meaning is (as it is typed) "ceiling_cover_grate" a folder?

I think the problem is probably result of Microsoft's craziness in defaulting file extensions to 'off' [invisible] in Explorer. It makes a system useless for any kind of serious work.

Right-click on your file and see if it's not called "ceiling_cover_grate.MODEL.model".

The fix for this (if that's the problem) is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOBJfEDs_4

thanks ill look into this tomorrow.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Isaac wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:Your "(\mod_assets\models\ceiling_cover_grate ( actual path ))" makes no sense because it locates your model file outside your mod folder
It's an odd fact that LoG mods allow that too. You can load files from anywhere in the file system that one's user permissions allow; but for use in mods, it only makes sense to give the relative path inside the mod's folder.
Aye it is possible but then the path given for the model file needs to be an absolute path like

Code: Select all

model = "/mod_assets/models/ceiling_cover_grate.fbx"
and not the usual relative path.
LunasC

Post by LunasC »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Isaac wrote:
Aye it is possible but then the path given for the model file needs to be an absolute path like

model = "/mod_assets/models/ceiling_cover_grate.fbx"
and not the usual relative path.
SpoilerShow
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Your files are listed as .MODEL instead of .model; it shows in the properties panel. I just tried exporting a map with the custom models renamed .MODEL, and it did work ~under Windows; but that might not work on MAC OSX or Linux.

Aside from what I cannot see [not shown], I don't see anything wrong with your definition or path.

The video I linked to a few posts back, shows how to display [and make editable] the file extensions in Explorer.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

LunasC wrote:
SpoilerShow
There is a comma missing after closing the components section of ceiling_cover. Change

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	}
into

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	},
minmay

Post by minmay »

Dr.Disaster wrote:There is a comma missing after closing the components section of ceiling_cover. Change

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	}
into

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	},
The comma you added literally does nothing. A comma after the last entry in a table is completely meaningless. Only commas after entries other than the last are important.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
THOM

Post by THOM »

How can I make elevations invisible on the automap?

I want to make a maze and it is nessecary that the player cannot see the upcoming path in the automap. The path is made out of elevations that go down (and believe me: the player cannot see this elevations in the mainscreen 8-) )

All I've tried to change to make the automap draw no elevations have failed. Is there really no way?
THOM formaly known as tschrage
LunasC

Post by LunasC »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
LunasC wrote:
SpoilerShow
There is a comma missing after closing the components section of ceiling_cover. Change

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	}
into

name = "ceiling_cover",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
		},
	},

I dont think that common will function there is nothing below it
mrochions

Post by mrochions »

Hi - daft question - ocean over a heightmap beach coast - any reason I'm getting black bands in the little region at the edge of the water between where the waves recede and advance to? Thanks in advance.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

mrochions wrote:Hi - daft question - ocean over a heightmap beach coast - any reason I'm getting black bands in the little region at the edge of the water between where the waves recede and advance to? Thanks in advance.
This is in the full game, or just in the editor?