Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Duncan1246

Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Post by Duncan1246 »

Can they see it the whole way up, as it travels?
Or...perhaps have the increments increase mid-way, and reduce again, closer to the top.
Yes I am thinking about, they can go to the initial position of the beacon, but at the time of the raise, they can't see the whole thing, so perhaps I coukd find a better way like you describe it.
minmay wrote:Timers can only activate once per frame. What you want to do is use an extremely short interval like 0.001, which will trigger every frame, then scale the world position change with Time.deltaTime().
Thanks for your precision, but what Time.deltaTime() do?
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
minmay

Post by minmay »

It returns the amount of time elapsed since the last update in seconds.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Ciccipicci

Post by Ciccipicci »

REQUEST: Can someone paste complete scripts for teleport particle effect with different colors? Thanks.
I've asked 3 pages ago but with no reply.

Thanks anyway! :D
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

minmay wrote:It returns the amount of time elapsed since the last update in seconds.
Thanks, I shall try to use it
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
SoloFreed

Post by SoloFreed »

How do you look at/edit the icons used in the game for races and traits? I wanted to mod in some new races and I wanted to add in unique icons for them in the scripting. I'm not talking about the portraits that you can add in the documents folder. I'm asking about the numerical icons referenced in the .lua files.
minmay

Post by minmay »

You can find the icon images in the asset pack. (The grimrock.net link is broken right now but someone has kindly provided a mirror)
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
SoloFreed

Post by SoloFreed »

I have the asset pack but I can't find the icons in scripts or textures. I doubt they'd be in models or animations so it's probably that I've overlooked them. Another question I have is how do I put scripts that I've changed into the game. I've tried making new classes and I don't know what to do with them.
minmay

Post by minmay »

SoloFeed wrote:I have the asset pack but I can't find the icons in scripts or textures.
assets/textures/gui/skills.dds
SoloFeed wrote:Another question I have is how do I put scripts that I've changed into the game. I've tried making new classes and I don't know what to do with them.
When a mod is loaded it will load the dungeon.lua and init.lua in the dungeonFolder path given in the .dungeon_editor file. Just import your other Lua files in the init.lua.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
SoloFreed

Post by SoloFreed »

So you can't create modded classes and use them in the default game?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

All icons exist internally in a few DDS format images. You can edit these in any image editor that can load and save DDS format. Paint.Net is a free one that supports dds format natively. Gimp and Photoshop are more powerful, and there are free plugins to add DDS support.

The skill images are in one file: skills.dds

The numbers you mentioned correspond to the many 75x75 pixel slots in the image file. (Called an atlas)

You can make your own atlas and add it to the definition of a new skill like so:
(By way of example.)

Code: Select all

iconAtlas = "mod_assets/textures/custom_skills.dds"
icon=2
For an atlas, you can either create the texture yourself, and insert your custom icons (side by side; each 75 pixels square), or you can use the Grimrock Atlas Toolkit.