Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
THOM

Re: Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Post by THOM »

Aha: problem.

A delayedCall command runs to the end, you can't pause it, right?

Well, my candle runs out of "wax" when it it lit. Means: when carried in a champions attack hand. If I start a delayedCall as soon as a champion holds the candle in hand it will vanish even the player removed it after 2 seconds. I think I have to use a timer anyway.

Create it on the fly and give it as its ID the ID of the candle item plus a suffix to make it different. This timer is running then only as long as a champion holds the candle. If not, it gets paused.

I see a few other problem coming but I will give it a try.
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by minmay »

I'd suggest adding a TimerComponent to the party on the fly instead of spawning a new object, so that you don't have the issue of the timer slowing down if the party leaves the map.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
ratman

Post by ratman »

I assume the compass is hardcoded? Or has anyone made their own compass that functions the same?

edit: Also how does the

Code: Select all

LightComponent:setColor(color)
function work? I try this:

light_component:setColor(50, 50, 25)
and is crashes the game saying it expects 'vec', but got 'number'.
minmay

Post by minmay »

You need to pass vec(50, 50, 25) instead of just 50, 50, 25.

The compass is hardcoded, but it should be straightforward to re-implement: every frame, search the party's inventory for any compasses (the Head Hunter trait is a good example of searching party inventories) and use setGfxIndex() to set their icon according to the party's current facing. You could also look at script_entity_18 in the Twisted Passage level of Isle of Nex (here is a dungeon editor file that will load Isle of Nex) which handles the cursed compass.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Okay, some more questions.

I have an object from which on I have to create a monster and give it an onDie connector back to the former object (to a script component in it).

My problem: Since there could be more than one instance of the object (and then the monster) I cannot give them fixed IDs. So how to adress the monster and then back the object?

What I have tried is:

onClick = function(self)
					local tenta = spawn("tentacles", self.go.level, self.go.x, self.go.y, self.go.facing, self.go.elevation)
					local scr = self.go.id
					tenta.monster:addConnector("onDie", "scr" , "setRight")
			end,
But that doesn't work. The target "scr" cannot be found. Also not scr (without quotes) or immediatly self.go.id or "self.go.id". So how to do this?

(The trick would also be needed for my candle item which is still not finished.)
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

THOM wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:22 am I have an object from which on I have to create a monster and give it an onDie connector back to the former object (to a script component in it).

My problem: Since there could be more than one instance of the object (and then the monster) I cannot give them fixed IDs. So how to adress the monster and then back the object?
You've made something like this?

defineObject{
	name = "wall_button_new",
	components = {
		{
			class = "Model",
			model = "assets/models/env/wall_button.fbx",
		},
		{
			class = "Animation",
			animations = {
				press = "assets/animations/env/wall_button_press.fbx",
			}
		},
		{
			class = "Clickable",
			offset = vec(0,1.375,0),
			size = vec(0.25, 0.25, 0.25),
			--debugDraw = true,
		},
		{
			class = "Button",
			sound = "button",
			onActivate = function(self)
				-- Spawn a monster one tile west of the button
				local monster_entity = spawn("spore_mushroom", self.go.level, self.go.x - 1, self.go.y, self.go.facing, self.go.elevation)
				monster_entity.monster:addConnector("onDie", self.go.id, "scriptOnDie")
			end,
		},
		{
			class = "Script",
		},
		{
			class = "ScriptController",
			name = "controller",
		},
	},
	placement = "wall",
	editorIcon = 12,
}
And in the dungeon editor, you've set the script to something like:

function scriptOnDie(monster)
	print("scriptOnDie", monster.go.name, monster.go.id)
end
All I can say is "Works for me."
When I press the button and then kill the monster, LoG2 prints "scriptOnDie spore_mushroom 653" in the console.
ratman

Post by ratman »

Is there some sort of delayed hudPrint function so all the lines don't show up at once? or do I just have to use timers?
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

ratman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm Is there some sort of delayed hudPrint function so all the lines don't show up at once? or do I just have to use timers?
You can use:
delayedCall(receiver, delay, msg)
minmay

Post by minmay »

THOM wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:22 am Okay, some more questions.

I have an object from which on I have to create a monster and give it an onDie connector back to the former object (to a script component in it).

What I have tried is:

onClick = function(self)
					local tenta = spawn("tentacles", self.go.level, self.go.x, self.go.y, self.go.facing, self.go.elevation)
					local scr = self.go.id
					tenta.monster:addConnector("onDie", "scr" , "setRight")
			end,
But that doesn't work. The target "scr" cannot be found. Also not scr (without quotes) or immediatly self.go.id or "self.go.id". So how to do this?

(The trick would also be needed for my candle item which is still not finished.)
self.go.id should work. Did you forget to put a ScriptControllerComponent named "controller" on the object?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
THOM

Post by THOM »

Thanks, guys.
Got it.

The problem was not the adressing of the function but the function itself.
1. it had a misspelled command createComponent in it (the component to be created must be written in upper case e.g. "Socket")
2. there was also a problem in it with the self.go.id term - but I could solve this

Now it works.