Merry Christmas!

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by minmay »

minmay wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:42 amThough the real puzzle for me is going to be figuring out how to make a .cfg file that lets Windows users switch between the Direct3D and OpenGL render engines...
Well, I finally got around to actually trying to do this instead of just talking about it.
I've concluded it's not doable in a umod unless that umod modifies grimrock2.dat (which is NOT a umod I would make!).
My reason for concluding this: after EngineSystems.create() has been called - which happens before umods are loaded - calls to Renderer.create() give an error with "renderer already created". disposing engineSys doesn't fix this, or even let you call EngineSystems.create() again for that matter.

So instead - as bad as I feel asking for even more goodies - I'm going to beg for something like a "windowsRenderEngine =" option in grimrock.cfg.
It would let Windows dungeon creators see what their lighting/water/emissive color/etc. looks like in both game versions without having to switch between computers, as well as find renderer-specific issues with the dungeon*. I think anyone writing umods with custom shaders would find it useful too.

A few years ago I made my own personal hack (sorry) to use the OpenGL renderer in Windows and I haven't encountered any Windows-specific crashes with it yet, or any memory leaks, with lots and lots of time spent editing a couple dungeons. Plus it uses less RAM than the D3D9 one :P

*For a brief time during One Room Round Robin 3 development, there was a script that made just enough drawText calls in a single frame to reliably crash the OpenGL renderer (and anyone playing the Mac version) but not the Direct3D one
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Minmay, do you plan to make more mods?

You did Artefacts just as an example and it is already good. I wonder if you make full, true mod.
7Soul

Post by 7Soul »

So hey it's been almost a year, any idea on when we can see this put into the main branch of the game? Also GoG and mac versions?
Join the LoG discord server: https://discord.gg/ArgAgNN :D

My Mods
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Indeed!

I'll second this! (I don't own the Steam version).
THOM

Post by THOM »

I also second this - even I own the Steam Version (as I accidently found out).

But without having Nutcracker in an official version we can never use its features in any mod-release as standard...
THOM formaly known as tschrage