Mod size if LoG2 were 64-bit

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Zo Kath Ra

Mod size if LoG2 were 64-bit

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

If LoG2 were a 64-bit application, how much physical memory (mainboard and graphics card) would you require from your users?

You'd have to find a trade-off between mod size (texture quality, etc.) and the number of users who can play your mod.

I know it's not an easy question to answer, because it's purely hypothetical.
I'm just wondering if I'd be able to play any of the new mods on my old computer if it weren't for the 4 GB limitation.

Mainboard: 8 GB
Graphics Card: 1 GB
Pompidom

Re: Mod size if LoG2 were 64-bit

Post by Pompidom »

I think I mashed just about every public custom asset available in Blood Moon + some extras from helpful modders. I added about 200 MB extra music and still it barely touched 3.3/4.0 GB allocation with maxed out graphics settings.

If it were a native x64 application, you would need to create like a "kazillion" extra assets/textures before it actually becomes"unloadable" on your old computer with 8 GB of ram.
minmay

Post by minmay »

So Grimrock has the texture quality setting, which lets them choose between full, quarter-size, and one-sixteenth-size textures. That ideally translates to a choice between full memory usage, 25% memory usage, and 6.25% memory usage from textures. In practice it will not be quite that good because it doesn't affect textures used in the GUI and there are small constant costs in storing each texture too.

As a result, if not for the specific case of 32-bit Grimrock using DirectX 9 (which stores copies of textures in main memory; the OpenGL version does not do this!), you could go pretty wild with texture resolution.

I think music that isn't currently playing will actually get garbage collected, but I'm too lazy to test that.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
petri

Post by petri »

Btw. Shinobi engine powering Druidstone (a successor to the Grimrock engine) is fully 64-bit and uses a newer version of LuaJIT. As a result it can use up to 128 TB of memory. Too bad Druidstone modding didn't really kick off...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

petri wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am Too bad Druidstone modding didn't really kick off...
My experience (though it is no deterrent to me ;) ) is that the editor is a bit daunting—not so with the Grimrock editor.

(I just haven't had time; and no really great ideas...yet. And John may have abandoned his model importer.)

I think the engine is really great.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

petri wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am Btw. Shinobi engine powering Druidstone (a successor to the Grimrock engine) is fully 64-bit and uses a newer version of LuaJIT. As a result it can use up to 128 TB of memory. Too bad Druidstone modding didn't really kick off...
Because it is not Grimrock.. Grimrock modding is alive and many perfect mods. Some are same quality as original game.