How to deal with player stupidity

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Pompidom

How to deal with player stupidity

Post by Pompidom » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:00 pm

How to deal with user stupidity.

So open world RPG basically means the freedom to go anywhere anytime, and deal with locations whenever you want as long your party is stong enough for it.

But I'm increasingly getting spammed with people that apparently go the extra mile in wandering off naked into some random endgame dungeon instead of taking the obvious path with least resistance stubbornly punching their level 1 fists against endgame enemies squaredancing them for hours on end refusing to realize they have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Every single update I simply close off more and more ways and roads to protect the player from wandering off naked into some location they're not quite ready for. As they apparently never realize they might have taken a wrong turn.

Any tips on how you would handle this instead of forcing the player to make the game into a "follow the only road" type of game would be appreciated.

Isaac

Re: How to deal with player stupidity

Post by Isaac » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Environmental hazards that become negligible to higher level characters. A mildly poison fog, for instance; or a submerged entry that is a bit far to travel on paltry hitpoints. Make it open, but an act of attrition to get there, or to stay there.

Environmental distractions that look and sound attention grabbing; such that they are less likely to explore away from these, in the opposite direction.

Hidden in plain sight... areas that don't have an obvious or easily spotted entrance—yet one that is technically open to passage if noticed.

Areas that commit the party to a certain amount of action before they manage to escape—with the added XP.

Areas that require high level spells to enter.

Journals, and notes that caution about the area, or that imply them to be a waste of time without the right equipment—something that the party will doubtless level up while trying to acquire.

akroma222

Post by akroma222 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Isaac wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Environmental hazards that become negligible to higher level characters. A mildly poison fog, for instance; or a submerged entry that is a bit far to travel on paltry hitpoints. Make it open, but an act of attrition to get there, or to stay there.

Environmental distractions that look and sound attention grabbing; such that they are less likely to explore away from these, in the opposite direction.

Hidden in plain sight... areas that don't have an obvious or easily spotted entrance—yet one that is technically open to passage if noticed.

Areas that commit the party to a certain amount of action before they manage to escape—with the added XP.

Areas that require high level spells to enter.

Journals, and notes that caution about the area, or that imply them to be a waste of time without the right equipment—something that the party will doubtless level up while trying to acquire.
Good list Isaac 8-)

If I might add - can be cool / interesting and replay provoking to have some of these harder / restricted areas accessible through more than 1 method ie, using Isaac's examples - an area that can be reached if either:
1. raw hit points are high enough and you swim to it or
2. you have the water breathing spell which can only be learned at a certain stage in the game..
3. or you found a secret area that can teleport you there but into the middle of a hard fight which needs a high level party
4. and finally a path that makes it easily accesible, but possibly too late in the game to make a diff

EDIT: Orrr! Just let them die in stupidly hilarious ways
Too much cotton wool can be bad

Pompidom

Post by Pompidom » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:44 am

I've tried most of those. None of them work. You will always get messages from people who go the extra mile just to push through stubbornly and complain.

I've gone to a design where every time you come at a crossroad, all areas are equally difficult with a linear difficulty curve and deadends completing quests slingshotting the player back to the town. The amount of backtracking is neglible and i've come to a design that just works.