Win 10 Support yet?

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Azel

Win 10 Support yet?

Post by Azel »

Hello! It's been a few years since I've loaded up the Dungeon Editor. The biggest reason is that it only ran on my Win 7 Laptop. But that thing is old and dying. I've since moved on to Windows 10 and Virtual Reality as a platform (Oculus Rift). I'd like to get back to some Mod Development with Grimrock since my one and only Mod could use some updating. However, I still can't seem to run this at all on Win 10. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Win 10 Support yet?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Both LoG's and their editors work perfectly fine on Win10; including it's current version 1809.

Usually it's a f-d up Win10 install or user account that prevents the games from working.
Beside that also Steam VR support has been revealed to be a gamebreaker for some; simply disable it for these games.
In case you installed the old ".NET Framework 3.5 (incl. 2.0 and 3.0)" features: uninstall them 'cuz since 1703 they crash the games.
Azel

Post by Azel »

I know the game itself runs on Win 10, I'm talking about the Editor. And the Editor has definitely had problems on Win 10. Sure you can launch it, look at it, and even mess around with a project. But the moment you try to actually "run" your dungeon via the Editor, it crashes. I've gotten several errors as I've tried trouble shooting over time. The most recent being an "out of memory" error. Yet these are the exact same files that I can run just fine on my old Win 7 laptop.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

try win 7 compatibility mode or try the nt core patch to check if that fixes your issue
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Never had a problem running the editor under Win10, beside some minor display relate things which vanished once exported. So without looking deeper into your project and/or Win10 setup go with Pompidom's advice.
Pompidom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm try win 7 compatibility mode or try the nt core patch to check if that fixes your issue
I doubt the Win7 compatibility mode will change anything, yet it's worth a try.
Now the NT core patch will allow the game the use of 4 gigs of RAM instead of just 2 so it should solve pretty much any memory issues. I'd go with that one.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Thanks Pompidom. I do use Win 7 compatibility, but I haven't tried the NT Core patch.

Some of the errors I receive have been encountered by others. I've tried nearly every recommendation I found both on this Forum and on Steam.

One of the errors was an Audio error, the other was this:
D3DError = D3DXCreateVolumeTextureFromFile failed: E_OUTOFMEMORY

Then this one:
D3DError - CreateCubeTexture failed: E_OUTOFMEMORY

I've tried using the June2010 DX install, re-installing the game from scratch after wiping all local files, turning off any Screen/Video capture software, checking Anti-Virus, checking NVidia GeForce settings (e.g. VSync).

Again, these are the same Mod files that I can run successfully for hours and hours and hours on my Win 7 machine. On Win 10, it either crashes during the "run" command in the Editor, or I'm able to walk around for a few seconds before it crashes.

There is likely something on my Machine causing the problem. Perhaps the fact that it is configured to support Oculus Rift Virtual Reality is creating a conflict somewhere. The quest continues...