multi-complex non lineair dungeon

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
kelly1111

multi-complex non lineair dungeon

Post by kelly1111 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

I am in need of some designing tips. For a while now I have been creating a dungeon that has multiple routes to travel to from the start. (like dungeon master chaos strikes back // or like conflux <-- don't know if people know about this gem)

The design must be non linear and complex. I want te party to get lost (not overly)
The theme is centered around 2 central hubs (savehavens). One from the start, the other one reachable when the party ventures deeper into the dungeon

The problem is that after awhile I tend to get confused by my own mapping and level design. To many branches, doors to unlock, pits to fall into. It gets to complex to manage... what I mean is that it can get game breaking if I oversee for instance a drop down into a pit that should net be reachable yet ... or with keys unlocking doors but then to find out that the key has already been found in another part in the dungeon (I try to avoid this by making use of keys only once in my dungeon ..one skull key... one rube ... etc

In short, what I need is a way to see at a glance where all my rooms , levels are connected to... is there any drawing software that could help me map out my project... or any other ideas of how to keep track of things. ?????

I wonder how they did this in dungeon master chaos strikes back ...

Curunir

Re: multi-complex non lineair dungeon

Post by Curunir » Tue May 29, 2018 6:59 pm

I use https://www.draw.io/ to make flowcharts. You can give it a try. There's always Excel too, I guess...

kelly1111

Re: multi-complex non lineair dungeon

Post by kelly1111 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:16 pm

YES ! many thanks, this is exactly what I needed