[ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.10 [vampire/archer + Goodbye]

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
User avatar
AndakRainor
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by AndakRainor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Good point. Until yesterday, I used the previous code on a single object per map (ocean object). I did it because I had to place those at non zero elevations sometimes (and then reflection was wrong). From what I see, for the WaterSurface component, the last object added to a map wins. I will try to see if I can find a solution to this. That said, the onInit function can be added to one global WaterSurface object, and its elevation will no longer be ignored when placed in the editor...

minmay
Posts: 2656
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 am

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by minmay » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:57 pm

On any particular frame, the game will use one or zero WaterSurfaceComponents and one or zero SkyComponents and ignore the rest. Zero if there's no such component on the map, one if there is. When there are multiple on the current map, the way it decides which one to use is predictable, but it's not particularly easy to predict (saving/loading is a concern) and there's no good reason to: just use one per level, and if you need to switch two or more WaterSurfaceComponents/SkyComponents out with each other for some reason, just move them to other maps and back.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.

User avatar
Isaac
Posts: 2949
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by Isaac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:42 pm

minmay wrote:... if you need to switch two or more WaterSurfaceComponents/SkyComponents out with each other for some reason, just move them to other maps and back.
It sounds like it might be useful for mods to have a utility level; inaccessible except for off-world storage, including script objects. In a big project (like ORRR3), this would allow the map to run in the editor [preview] with just the utility level, and the few being worked on.
(Maps are blank in the preview if disabled, but scripts on those maps are unavailable, and can stop the game.)

User avatar
AndakRainor
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by AndakRainor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:56 am

minmay wrote:On any particular frame, the game will use one or zero WaterSurfaceComponents and one or zero SkyComponents and ignore the rest. Zero if there's no such component on the map, one if there is. When there are multiple on the current map, the way it decides which one to use is predictable, but it's not particularly easy to predict (saving/loading is a concern) and there's no good reason to: just use one per level, and if you need to switch two or more WaterSurfaceComponents/SkyComponents out with each other for some reason, just move them to other maps and back.
I guess disabling unwanted WaterSurfaceComponents of non minimalSaveState objects would work too?

That said, we still have the minor problem of not being able to have a different reflection plane for objects at different elevations... Unless we use invisible floor triggers or something to change it dynamically, I think we just have to avoid such map design.

User avatar
Isaac
Posts: 2949
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by Isaac » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:00 am

AndakRainor wrote:...we still have the minor problem of not being able to have a different reflection plane for objects at different elevations... Unless we use invisible floor triggers or something to change it dynamically, I think we just have to avoid such map design.
What about using an elevation check for the party to dynamically choose?

minmay
Posts: 2656
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 am

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by minmay » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:00 am

AndakRainor wrote:That said, we still have the minor problem of not being able to have a different reflection plane for objects at different elevations... Unless we use invisible floor triggers or something to change it dynamically, I think we just have to avoid such map design.
I doubt it would be worth the performance cost anyway. Reflection works by rendering the scene again, if you have two reflection planes you'd need to render it three times total instead of two...
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.

User avatar
AndakRainor
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by AndakRainor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:03 pm

So I am currently redecorating my volcanic island with your tile set. I see you don't have exits objects in it, is there a reason for it? I will need it so I'll start with a retextured forest tunnel and see if it looks good...

User avatar
zimberzimber
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by zimberzimber » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:02 pm

AndakRainor wrote:So I am currently redecorating my volcanic island with your tile set. I see you don't have exits objects in it, is there a reason for it? I will need it so I'll start with a retextured forest tunnel and see if it looks good...
Oh, I probably forgot about it when overriding materials for all the beach rock objects. And since I don't use it on the map (because I have a transition from caves to volcanic) I forgot about it entirely :P
But yeah, the solution would be taking an underwater forest exit and overriding materials for it.
Will add an exit, stairs up/down, and a volcanic cave in the next version. (Nothing special, just more retextures probably)

Also, a spoiler for next version ;)
Image
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D

User avatar
AndakRainor
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by AndakRainor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Simply amazing idea :D
Could it be possible to do the same for insectoids since we have insect monsters models available too? ;)
(Minotaurs and humans would be more difficult to make)

User avatar
zimberzimber
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by zimberzimber » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 pm

AndakRainor wrote:Simply amazing idea :D
Could it be possible to do the same for insectoids since we have insect monsters models available too? ;)
(Minotaurs and humans would be more difficult to make)
Thats exactly what someone requested :D
In addition, I though a lizardman and a crowern wizard would be cool too.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D

Post Reply