[ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.10 [vampire/archer + Goodbye]

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Duncan1246

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.7 [Better Enchanting!]

Post by Duncan1246 »

My work on player_library is done, so I looked at your sample_dungeon. Some of your assets are very impressive, like lichs, imp (nice leaving corpse!), splitting herders and all kinds of uggardians. Lava flow and waterfall are nice too, but I feel the waterfall too speedy. Above all, I love your peaceful ratlings (but where are the objects def?): they can replace some of the shoopkeepers in my mod. Well done also the skull_candles_pillars and a bunch of new ideas! I don't forget new spells, but I haven't tested them yet.
Thanks to share all this!
Duncan
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
Duncan1246

Post by Duncan1246 »

My work on player_library is done, so I looked at your sample_dungeon. Some of your assets are very impressive, like lichs, imp (nice leaving corpse!), splitting herders and all kinds of uggardians. Lava flow and waterfall are nice too, but I feel the waterfall too speedy. Above all, I love your peaceful ratlings (but where are the objects def?): they can replace some of the shoopkeepers in my mod. Well done also the skull_candles_pillars and a bunch of new ideas! I don't forget new spells, but I haven't tested them yet.
Thanks to share all this!
Duncan
The Blue Monastery (LOG1)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/399/?

Finisterrae(LOG2)
download at:http://www.nexusmods.com/legendofgrimrock2/mods/61/?
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

Thanks for the kind words :mrgreen:

The definitions for the idle NPCs Ratlings is inside zim_idles.lua
The waterfall speed can be altered in the material definition for the material it uses.
My asset pack [v1.10]
Features a bit of everything! :D
zimberzimber

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.8 [Optimized!]

Post by zimberzimber »

Updated to 1.8!

Highlights:
All images were optimized
Altered time slow to work between levels (still has some situational issues)
Removes some unnecessary things
Added a bunch of custom functions
Added a work-in-progress monster that will "copy" a champion
My asset pack [v1.10]
zimberzimber

Re: [ASSETS] Zimber's Assets v1.9 [Flute!]

Post by zimberzimber »

Updated to 1.9!

Added a shadow that can mimic a casters learned spells
Added a system with which you can target spells on a specific champion in the party
Added a playable flute!
Notes:

Code: Select all

- ert ut re w ere r ewq
- ert ut re r eqw
- ert ut re w ere r ewq
- w er t u ytr yt
And some other minor stuff!
My asset pack [v1.10]
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

You have a lot of good stuff in this pack :)
I was going to borrow your active fountain for my town and villages, the dried one feels really out of place (why did you comment the sound component?). But after wandering in your demo dungeon, I discovered a lot of great monsters and gloomy places! I think I will need it too!

Is it okay to pick files from your pack and rework them a little for my mod?

Did you make custom 3D models that could be replaced by vanilla ones with just a texture override? (trying to save memory here...)

The monster with the copycat spell is a great idea, I could see if I can rework my pack to make all spells compatible with monsters casters! (I guess some of them would require an evolved AI to be useful to the monster... Some could even kill it if stupidly used!)
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

AndakRainor wrote:You have a lot of good stuff in this pack :)
I was going to borrow your active fountain for my town and villages, the dried one feels really out of place (why did you comment the sound component?). But after wandering in your demo dungeon, I discovered a lot of great monsters and gloomy places! I think I will need it too!
Which is exactly why I made the dungeon a demo of the pack. Can't make environmental additions without seeing how it interacts with already present environments ;)
The sound was commented out because originally, I gave it a custom sound from Diablo which fitted in pretty nicely, but then I though "Oh wait, copyright...", and kept the line as a hint for people to use a sound for it. The vanilla river sound is too noisy for it, so I didn't use that. (Now that I think of it, I can define a new sound that uses lower volume and pitch...)
AndakRainor wrote:Is it okay to pick files from your pack and rework them a little for my mod?
Sure! But if you're using something I did not make, make sure you follow its guidelines :!:
AndakRainor wrote:Did you make custom 3D models that could be replaced by vanilla ones with just a texture override? (trying to save memory here...)
When making custom assets, I have memory saving in mind. All additional models are as minimal on memory as possible. (fire place being the only exception, I keep forgetting about it...)
Some things may look like they can be skipped, but actually can't be.
For example, you might think attaching a model of a helmet to a skeleton knight and cropping its mug from the texture would work instead of adding a new model - But nope. It'll look ugly and won't get frozen/colored like the regular model would unless you do hacky things. (kinda like what I did with the imp wings, and they're still unaffected by the poisoned color change)
Here's an example from a while back which was the reason I decided to just add the human_knight as a model -

The enchanter is kinda crappy though. I should revamp it sometime...

Some texture can be removed I guess. The Demon Philosopher uses a darker variant of the vanilla texture to better fit with the dark castle, which is also just one big copy-paste + darken of every castle texture defuse map. (With some additions such as the skull candle, SP_FACE, and some emissives)
AndakRainor wrote:The monster with the copycat spell is a great idea, I could see if I can rework my pack to make all spells compatible with monsters casters! (I guess some of them would require an evolved AI to be useful to the monster... Some could even kill it if stupidly used!)
Your spell pack is what motivated me to make them! just imagine, a gazillion projectiles from every school and beyond are flying towards you, and all because you were using it sometimes before that :lol: :twisted:
Sadly, Shadow Doubles are boring with anything else that is not a caster, and is pretty damn near impossible to implement. There are so many ways you can build a class, not to mention people might use custom classes! It's not worth the outcome, which is just another generic monster with a retexture and buffed stats.
My asset pack [v1.10]
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Just a quick post; I think I found something you can remove in the pack to save a little memory :)
For your "null" material, you can use a vanilla texture:

-- For invisible model parts
defineMaterial{
  name = "null",
  diffuseMap = "assets/textures/common/black_translucent.tga",
  doubleSided = false,
  lighting = false,
  alphaTest = true,
  blendMode = "Opaque",
  textureAddressMode = "Wrap",
  glossiness = 0,
  depthBias = 0,
}
zimberzimber

Post by zimberzimber »

It's a 240 byte 8x8 image that has nothing it...
But why the hell not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My asset pack [v1.10]
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

Another thing about the fountain, and all other objects with water:
you could use a WaterSurface component with the following onInit function to set its reflection plane correctly at any height on maps (then you don't need a WaterSurface object on the same map).

defineObject{
  name = "forest_fountain_active",
  baseObject = "base_obstacle",
  components = {
    {
      class = "Model",
      model = "assets/models/env/forest_fountain.fbx",
      materialOverrides = {vegetation_atlas = "null"},
      staticShadow = true,
    },
    {
      class = "Model",
      name = "water",
      model = zim.."models/fountain_water_surface.fbx",
      staticShadow = true,
    },
    {
      class = "WaterSurface",
      planeY = 0.35,
      reflectionColor = vec(0.77, 0.9, 1.0) * 0.9,
      refractionColor = vec(1,1,1),
      onInit = function(self) self:setPlaneY(self.go.elevation*self.go.map:getModuleHeight()+0.35) end,
    },
    {
      class = "MapGraphics",  -- Better off using the regular fountain map graphics if you're tight on space
      image = zim.."textures/water_fountain.tga", -- Don't forget deleting the image if you're not going to use this
      offset0 = vec(0, -1),
      offset2 = vec(-1, 0),
      offset3 = vec(-1, -1),
    },
    {
      class = "Particle",
      particleSystem = "fountain_flow",
      offset = vec(1.15, 2.875, 1.225),
    },
    {
      class = "Sound",
      sound = "fountain_ambient",