Metal Cube Boss from LOG1 Import

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Emera Nova

Metal Cube Boss from LOG1 Import

Post by Emera Nova »

So the current dungeon I'm working on I'd like to use the metal cube boss as one of the bosses. The idea is to have the combat room be a maze like room where if you choose the correct paths it will deal damage to the boss for you and you'll be able to make it out alive. If you choose the wrong path the boss will crush the team simple as that.

Problem being I need the metal cube boss... So I'm wondering if either someone has already made a port of the boss that I could get a link to. Or if someone wouldn't mind either teaching me what all i would need to do the import myself or if they wouldn't mind importing it for me and sending me the files.

At some point I'd also like to import the warden cause that type of monster look would fit well for this dungeon.
I'll gladly work on the import myself I just will need like step by step guidelines of what to do and not to do.
minmay

Re: Metal Cube Boss from LOG1 Import

Post by minmay »

For the warden, there's nothing to convert: it's already in the Grimrock 2 assets. Look at assets/scripts/monsters/warden.lua.

For the cube, the model is already present in the Grimrock 2 assets, but you'll need to copy the textures and convert the normal maps, convert the animations (this Blender plugin is probably the easiest way, just import a Grimrock 1 animation and export it as a Grimrock 2 animation), either make new sounds or illegally copy them from Grimrock 1, and of course write a new brain and reimplement its special LoG1 behaviour (crushing, mainly).
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Emera Nova

Post by Emera Nova »

Just dropped in the .lua for the warden he seems to be working fine with the exception of his textures x]. They seem kind of gone.. Going to need to see if I can reattach them.

As far as writing a brain for the cube, I have no idea where to begin with it.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The warden's materials are defined in assets/scripts/grimrock1/grimrock1_materials.lua. Just copy the "guardian" and "guardian_flail" definitions from there.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Azel

Post by Azel »

I brought the Cube over once, and had his "engines running" in place. But only half of his textures were present, and he wouldn't move.

For obvious reasons, the Cube Boss would be amazingly awesome for the Mechanical Age in my Myst Mod; however, I don't really have the ability to get a fully functional version of the Cube up and running within a reasonable time frame. If anyone ever gets him going, let me know! Heck, I might even be willing to throw a small amount of $$$ towards the effort 8-)
AndakRainor

Post by AndakRainor »

So, what is still missing for this boss ? Do you have all the visuals and animations ? Is only the brain missing ?
Emera Nova

Post by Emera Nova »

I'm going to attempt to figure out how to get all of the visual stuff set up, as minmay said I need to convert the maps and export out new animations. I'll first have to find where the asset location is to open up and work on them.
kelly1111

Post by kelly1111 »

How far is the progress on the cube monster so far? Has anyone got it working?
Halluinoid

Post by Halluinoid »

would love to have the Cube in a LOG2 custom dungeon!! it was such a lot of fun in LOG1

is there a definite LOG2 custom dungeon that succeeded in using it?
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

Is it ready yet!? Is it ready yet!? :lol: ;)
Just an idea - as an alternate attack for for a LoG2 Cube...

*Cube stops still (at a distance), charges its engine for a second or so....
Then engages it engine and propells itself along the floor at top speed (not rolling but sliding / flying) directly at the party*

So yeah, we could give it a charge attack - which would crush the party if it catches you against a wall
(Id be happy to try scripting this up - minimal extra animations needed too)