Grimrock 2 working with WINE

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
uweklosa

Re: Grimrock 2 working with WINE

Post by uweklosa »

Hi

I got it working after several tries on Linuxmint 64-bit with Nvidia and bumblebee.

I made a fresh install with of wine 1.7.28 and ran

winetricks steam

to install steam. I chnged the start command to use optirun and all is working as it should.

The only problem I have that the program crashes quite often when I try to save the game.

Grimrock 2 is really awesome. I'm wating for the Linux version :-)
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

Decided to install PlayOnLinux after I couldn't get LoG2 working in Win32 nor Win64 default install.

Now under PlayOnLinux the error I'm getting is;

"unimplemented function usp10.dll" in debug mode.

I've got all the dll's set to native which meant no dll's are listed in the WineCFG bar dwrite.dll with a disable status so as to get Steam working with fonts.

All my Nvidia drivers are latest. Got 32bit GL drivers installed under nvidia.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Yes, i've managed to run LoG2 in x64 mint too. Now only with integrated intel hd 4000 video, but think there should be a way to use a discrete ati card. Nevertheless game runs, looks playable and .. waiting for native linux build :)
minmay

Post by minmay »

Does the dungeon editor work for any of you?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Dungeon editor runs, but i dunno how to use it :)

Additionally, LoG2 runs using discrete ati card on muxless system with free drivers.
uweklosa

Post by uweklosa »

e8hffff wrote:Decided to install PlayOnLinux after I couldn't get LoG2 working in Win32 nor Win64 default install.

Now under PlayOnLinux the error I'm getting is;

"unimplemented function usp10.dll" in debug mode.

I've got all the dll's set to native which meant no dll's are listed in the WineCFG bar dwrite.dll with a disable status so as to get Steam working with fonts.

All my Nvidia drivers are latest. Got 32bit GL drivers installed under nvidia.
That's the error I get when the game crashes. Some ScriptBresk in usp10.dll. I found one post on the net that a change to another Windows version might help. Instead of win7 winxp might work. I haven't tried that though.
MrAuer

Post by MrAuer »

I have latest Wine wine-1.7.28, and running Linux Mint 17 64-bit, and latest Nvidia drivers, GT 640 card, AMD dualcore at 2.6 Ghz. Wine was also originally run with a 64-bit prefix, but using that I got an error - http://wine.1045685.n5.nabble.com/Bug-3 ... 74697.html .

This was because of the 64-bit wine -

I needed to make a 32-bit wine prefix, like mentioned here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/177192/h ... ine-prefix

After which the game runs perfectly. No crashes or problems now.
Someone also suggested marking the Windows version as higher than XP in wine cfg, I put win 2003. Don't know if it matters, but you do need the 32-bit wine prefix, 64 won't work.
Mwah

Post by Mwah »

Had no crashes in one wineprefix with the GOG version pre patch.

Now, in another wine prefix / steam version after patch I get frequent crashes when saving the game. Couldn't copy the error message, but it said something like this "vbrun: the program exited in an unusual manner" (nothing that was of any use to me). All progress since last save is lost.

Do the crashes only happen with the steam version? Or is it something that's installed in the steam prefix?
minmay

Post by minmay »

I got the editor running!

I had no idea what could possibly have been causing the black screen thing, so I just tried running it in all of my different Wine prefixes. First one it worked in was a clean Wine 1.7.2, win32. Windows version doesn't make a difference, no dll overrides. I don't know what I did to my 1.7.28 installation that broke it.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Mwah

Post by Mwah »

Did some more testing. Could reproduce the crashes on saving most reliably when setting down a container with items in it on the ground before hitting quicksave.
Hitting quicksave multiple times in a row without changing anything in the world on the other hand did not seem to cause crashes.

Anyone an idea how to get better debug output on this? The grimrock.log is sort of useless...
Can anyone reproduce this with the GOG version? Or not reproduce with steam?