Unknown software exception when launching Grimrock 2

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
BlackAleks

Re: Unknown software exception when launching Grimrock 2

Post by BlackAleks »

After searching manually, enabling the option to see hidden files, using the search function, using cortana and going inside my pc to check if somehow it created a physical copy of the folder, I can safely say that there is no Almost Human folder in my pc, let along the .cfg file. Or perhaps I am indeed blind and I am missing something. Maybe it just isn't being created for some reason?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

BlackAleks wrote:The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x656FAF3E.
Click on OK to terminate the program
This is an "Invalid C-Runtime Parameter" exception, prolly caused by bad program files or missing redistributables.

Since you got the Steam Version do the following:
- right-click the game in your Steam library
- click "Properties"
- select tab "local files"
- click "verify integrity of game cache.."
- after Steam has verified your installation click "browse local files"
- enter the "_CommonRedist" folder and go down the vcredist folders until you see EXE files
- since you got a 32 bit OS run "vcredist_x86.exe"

Now retry to run the game.
If it still won't run something is wrong withing your Win10 installation.
Since you're running an AMD card: reset your graphic driver settings to default and make sure no forced Anti-Aliasing is in place!
My computer is pretty old, but it should still run the game

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU
4.00 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
Well you still got room to upgrade. Add a better GPU, then add more RAM and go 64 bit.

EDIT
The "Almost Human" Folder will be created on the first successful game launch. If you could not start the game yet it's natural that the folder is not there.
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Verified the game cache and ran the vcredist_x86.exe. Nothing. Restored my AMD card to factory defaults and made sure no AA is there. Still nothing.

You might be right about the win10 install, but it would be strange that everything else works except grimrock.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Is DirectX: 9.0c [also] installed?
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

I remember it getting installed when I ran Civ 5 for the first time. Not sure how to check to make sure though.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

You can try running the DirectX Installer that also comes with the game to make sure your DX9 is fine but i doubt it will make a difference regarding the software exception error you're seeing.

Since you said your PC is old: which AMD driver are you running on?

Last year AMD placed the Radeon HD 5000 series into legacy support so you should be running Catalyst 15.7.1.
In case you got anything different or older get it here: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-cataly ... -32bit.exe
(in case the link does not work for you use the manual driver search on the amd support page)
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Took me a while but I got the newest Catalyst installed. After that I restarted the pc, tried to open the game but still the same error. Also ran the DirectX installer, same thing. On the plus side, I have the newest Catalyst.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

hmm ..
so we have the game files verified, the redistributables (re)installed and the gpu driver reset but still no luck? This is very odd.

Have you done an anti-virus/malware check? (i assume you did but asking doesn't hurt)
Are any non-Microsoft anti-virus/something software or any display overlay/enhancing stuff in play?
If "yes" close it all down and retry the game.

Past that the last thing i'd try would be to create a new user (with admin rights), login into it and then try to start the game as this user. This usually uncovers any problem with your current user profile i.e. from a failed upgrade/reinstall.
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Made a new user, game opens up and works fine. So do I have to use the new user to play this game? Or is there some way to find out what is causing the game to get the error on the other user?

Besides that, thanks a great deal. Hope this problem wasn't a huge headache.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well the new user was pretty much my last straw. After that i'd prolly told you to reinstall again.

With the game now working it's pretty obvious that something inside your original user profile is damaged. If it happened before you re-installed or during the re-install process is impossible to say and tracking the problem will be very very time consuming if at all possible. Actually i doubt it's worth the time investment to backtrack so to prevent further and future problems i'd just move over to the new user entirely and then disable the old profile.