Unknown software exception when launching Grimrock 2

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
BlackAleks

Unknown software exception when launching Grimrock 2

Post by BlackAleks »

Recently did a clean reinstall of windows 10 and decided to install the game, but whenever I launch it it gives me this error:

The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x656FAF3E.
Click on OK to terminate the program

The location sometimes changes for whatever reason.

Also it seems like the log file isn't being created, or I am just blind and can't it anywhere.

I looked up some solutions online, but they didn't work for me. I have already installed all the .exe files in the _CommonRedist folder, updated my drivers and tried booting it in safe mode, nothing worked.

My computer is pretty old, but it should still run the game

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU
4.00 GB RAM
32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

All other games (that I can run) work fine.
Last edited by BlackAleks on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tawmis

Re: Unknown software exception when launching Grimrock 2

Post by Sir Tawmis »

The answer is here on the forum:
viewtopic.php?p=103391#p103391

Right click the executable and set it to Windows 7 compatibility. :)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Tried that, didn't work
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

BlackAleks wrote:Tried that, didn't work
Odd. That's about the only time I have seen that exception error come up on a Windows 10 system, was because of the Compatibility Mode not being enabled to Windows 7.

Did you also check "Run as Administrator"?
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Yup, did that too. Also tried Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3. Nothing changes
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

BlackAleks wrote:Yup, did that too
Well, the next move is get a young priest and an old priest and perform an exorcism on your machine.

Kidding. So is this a Steam/GoG version of the game? Or a local installer (.exe)?
BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Steam version.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

You can also try:

Go to Documents > Almost Human > Legend of Grimrock 2, and look for a file named “grimrock.cfg.” Once you locate it, delete it (or rename it to something else if you're not comfortable deleting it). This will reset the settings and should rebuild the file.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

BlackAleks

Post by BlackAleks »

Not sure about the DirectX thing, but I think I got the latest one. Here is a dxdiag report, maybe that will give you something.

About the .cfg file. My documents folder doesn't have the Almost Human folder in it. I'll do a search for the folder, maybe it does exist, but for now I can't find it.