A request for UI scaling.

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
Dunia

A request for UI scaling.

Post by Dunia »

Hello,

I recently tried LoG2 on 4K and found that the UI scales to 4K as well, which in games is not optimal most of the time as the UI becomes too small to deal with. Most games scale their UI on 4K in a way that its relative size is exactly the same as on any other resolution. I would very much like to see a similar update in LoG, since the game is very hard (and unenjoyable) to play with such a small UI. I know nothing about the technical aspect of it and how large of an undertaking it would be, but Psyonix for example added an update to Rocket League that made its UI scale to 4K recently, so I think it's reasonable to make this request. If you decide not to make such an update, I at least hope Legend of Grimrock 3 (which I hope is well on its way ;D) will have a UI scaling option.

PS. Varmasti paras peli mitä oon pelannu viimesen 5 vuoden aikana. Kiitos mahtavasta pelistä!
SArnold15

Re: A request for UI scaling.

Post by SArnold15 »

I have the same problem but because I want my resolution lower at 1280 x 780 and for some reason on both the first and second game it does not scale right if I try to force screen resolution and I literally cant play the game and I bought both of them. If anyone has a fix let me know
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

SArnold15 wrote:I have the same problem but because I want my resolution lower at 1280 x 780 and for some reason on both the first and second game it does not scale right if I try to force screen resolution and I literally cant play the game and I bought both of them. If anyone has a fix let me know
1280 x 780 is an unusual non-default resolution. To use it you have to manually set it up in grimrock.cfg. This is what it looks like:

Can you please elaborate what's wrong here?
Saurbaum

Post by Saurbaum »

I'm having a similar problem from the other direction. My monitor is 3000 by 2000 so when I select that the text is too small to read. If I reduce the resolution the mouse input is scaled badly so the pointer treats the top left corner of the screen as if it were the size of the entire area.

I know the games are a few years old but a nicer way to scale up the UI and keep it at the native resolution would be a big help to future players.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Saurbaum wrote:My monitor is 3000 by 2000
Which monitor has such an odd non-standard resolution as it's default?

In case you're running one of those MS Surface Books which seem to use 3000 by 2000 on a tiny 13.5" screen: which other resolutions are offered to you in fullscreen mode? Something like 1500 by 1000 would be ideal.
Saurbaum

Post by Saurbaum »

It is indeed a Surface Book but it's 15" not 13". When I drop the resolution the mouse go strange.

It's as if the top left of the screen is the entire clickable area as far as the UI is concerned. To attack I'm click in the middle of the screen and guessing where the weapon icons are. Picking things up I have to click in the middle vertically and in the first half horzontally.

In an attempted to draw it and explain.
---------------------------------------------------
|....................|
|....................|
|All input here..X|
|--------------------|
|
|
|Game renders this size..................Y
-------------------------------------------------

Clicking on X using the mouse has the effect as if the mouse were at Y.

EDIT: Sadly the spaces are being removed so I've padded with .'s
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

If it's 13.5 or 15 inch doesn't matter. High DPI displays are nice to watch photo's with but going past i.e. 1600 by 1200 on such small screens takes massive(!) DPI scaling like 250+% to make proper use of them. Why else would we have 24 inch and larger screens for 1920 by 1024 and up?

So once again: which other resolutions are offered to you in fullscreen mode?

Forget windowed or borderless mode. When your mouse acts up fullscreen mode is the only way to go.
Saurbaum

Post by Saurbaum »

I was talking about it in fullscreen. Picking a lower resolution wasn't making a difference the mouse input was still being restricted to the top quarter of the screen.

I've since done a clean and reinstall of Windows and the drivers appear to have updated and I now can play at a lower resolution.
Saurbaum

Post by Saurbaum »

Ok now I see what's happening.

If I pick a resolution of less then 1792x1344 the mouse input does the weird scaling regardless of the fullscreen, borderless setting. Higher resolutions seem to be fine though.

So there is definitely something wrong with the fullscreen mode with odd aspect ratios/high dpi settings. I'm not going to expect a fix considering the age of the game but at least I now can play with only a little bit of squinting.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Must be a problem of your video driver then; i guess it's an Intel HD.

On all my nVidia GPUs LoG1+2 play from 1024x768 to 3840x2160 without any control issues. This includes 7600 GT (retired), 8800 GT, GTX 460 (died on LoG1 ORRR2), GT 710 and GTX 760 inside of three different systems running Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.6 to 10.12 and with a whole bunch of different drivers during the years.