Bug - OS X display

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
HORansome

Bug - OS X display

Post by HORansome »

Hi. I purchased Grimrock 2 off of GOG today and I am having interface issues on my 15" Macbook Retina (running OS X 10.10.3).

When I launch the game with an external monitor plugged in I initially only see a small portion (about a quarter) of the menu screen on the laptop's internal display; once I click on anything on that screen the image shrinks down and the entire menu displays, but the cursor does not work (i.e. I can't click on anything).

If I unplug my external monitor the game launches properly, but I a) cannot run the game at my laptop screen's native resolution (2880x1800), as I am restricted to 1440x900. If I plug my external monitor back in I can move the window to that screen but I am still stuck with 1440x900 (my external monitor is 2560x1440).

It would be really great to have a preference option for choosing which display Grimrock 2 uses, as well as support for the retina display. I recall being able to get Grimrock 1 working at the external display's native resolution when I played it last year.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: Bug - OS X display

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Are there any error messages in grimrock.log ?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Did you set separate resolutions for both displays in system preferences?

LoG reads the available resolutions at program start and then offers several starting with 1024x768 up to your max resolution which you say is set to 1440x900. When you want more you need to pick a higher resolution and the display that supports it.
HORansome

Post by HORansome »

Yes, each display is set at its own resolution. However, the max resolution Grimrock 2 offers me on launch (if the primary display is set to the internal/laptop display, is 1440x900, even though the Retina display can display at 2880x1800). As I can't choose which monitor Grimrock 2 should be using in game, I have to fiddle with OS X's System Preferences and change to the external monitor being the primary display if I want to play Grimrock 2 at anything above 1440x900 resolution.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I know this is a tad late, but if you are hell bent on getting Grimrock 2 to run at 2880x1800 on your MacBook Pro (or equivalent retina resolution on the 5K iMac I guess), then you need to download a tool like Display Menu (free) and set your desktop resolution to 2880x1800. After setting the desktop resolution this high, the option will be available in the game options. :)

On my MacBook, you can basically choose between Low Rendering quality and ultra high resolution, or High Rendering quality, but at a lower resolution (1440x900 say). I think I actually prefer the lower resolution myself, but you might decide differently.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.