D3DError when launching the game

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
Mikail

D3DError when launching the game

Post by Mikail »

Good day!
An error occurs when starting the game (file in the application)
Last weekend everything worked fine on medium settings, tell me how to fix it!
Notebook --> HP Laptop 17-cp0xxx
Operating System --> Linux Mint Cinnamon 5.2.7
THOM

Re: D3DError when launching the game

Post by THOM »

Are you talking about the original game or about a mod?

IIRR this error occurs when you have choosen a wrong filetype for a texture-image - which is quite impossible for the original game...
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Mikail

Post by Mikail »

THOM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:11 pm Are you talking about the original game or about a mod?

IIRR this error occurs when you have choosen a wrong filetype for a texture-image - which is quite impossible for the original game...
In Steam, I click on the "play" button, and this error appears. Tried reinstalling the game.
The first part --> Legend of Grimrock works well, but in the original company the green goo turned milky white, the same thing happened with the green ruby.
In the inventory, the ruby is green, but when placed on the floor, it turns beige.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Weird. - And: Yes, something is wrong with the materials for the models.

But I have no idea, how to fix this - beside re-installing the game.

Maybe you can play around with the settings. Maybe you grafic hardware doesn't want to do everything. - But this is just pure guessing...
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Mikail

Post by Mikail »

I will think about how to decide, I will reinstall the game, it did not help.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Dr.Disaster might know how to fix this
www.grimrock.net/forum/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=4335
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well since you stated the game worked in the past my best guess is your Wine DirectX setup on that installation got changed or damaged., prolly due to some update. Since both LoG and LoG2 did not change for years the problem has to be in one of the packages Wine needs, given the error message and strange color mixups it's most likely libvkd3d. A solution would be to re-install all required packages and recompile Wine.

However ...
Personally i don't bother with Wine anymore. Every time i tried to set it up it never worked out of the gate, even after following various "How to Install" guides one can find on the internet. For best results you have to use the Wine source code and compile it for your distribution AFTER all required pckages and tools got installed which is usually a real pain in the ass. Setting up a Dual-Boot-System running both Linux for work and Windows for games is way easier to do.
Mikail

Post by Mikail »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:02 pm Well since you stated the game worked in the past my best guess is your Wine DirectX setup on that installation got changed or damaged., prolly due to some update. Since both LoG and LoG2 did not change for years the problem has to be in one of the packages Wine needs, given the error message and strange color mixups it's most likely libvkd3d. A solution would be to re-install all required packages and recompile Wine.

However ...
Personally i don't bother with Wine anymore. Every time i tried to set it up it never worked out of the gate, even after following various "How to Install" guides one can find on the internet. For best results you have to use the Wine source code and compile it for your distribution AFTER all required pckages and tools got installed which is usually a real pain in the ass. Setting up a Dual-Boot-System running both Linux for work and Windows for games is way easier to do.
Thanks, but I do not have Wine, but Proton.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Mikail wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm Thanks, but I do not have Wine, but Proton.
Try using an earlier version of Proton.
I have to use 4.11-13
Newer versions don't work for me.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Mikail wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm Thanks, but I do not have Wine, but Proton.
Ah, good to know! In that case i can reproduce your error when going with "Proton Experimental" in Steam settings.

Now if i pick a different version i.e. "Proton 7" LoG2 starts up so Zo Kath Ra's advice is sound.