Herder's Den Farming

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Kholdy

Herder's Den Farming

Post by Kholdy »

I've always wondered how this work. The reason is because I get my ass kicked in here every time. I barely make it out alive rushing to kill the spores, stocked up on potions and stuff. How do people manage to farm this? Don't you get swarmed from all sides immediately and die fast? What level do you usually go in?

Of course, maybe I'm just bad, but I already know this.
Phillip_Lynx

Re: Herder's Den Farming

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Get there with higher level :). And do not move too much :). And kill all spawners but one :).
Azel

Post by Azel »

I went in there fairly low level, but I had quite a bit of Ranged attack at my disposal. A throwing Barb and 2 back-row Casters pretty much let me keep my distance while picking everything off one at a time.

When you first get inside the Den it can be insane. You need to run to the Left side and find a good place to "hide" for a bit. You can kill a few herder's in the process. Once you get to a safe spot you start picking them off slowly and take down the spawners as fast as possible. The only spawner that you should leave is the hard-to-get-to spawner in the far "back right" side.

The opening seconds is a lot of running, dodging, and sniping to get things calm enough to farm. If you can survive that, the rest is easy. Happy hunting!
minmay

Post by minmay »

Azel wrote:The only spawner that you should leave is the hard-to-get-to spawner in the far "back right" side.
Actually, the most efficient spawner to leave (for both food and exp) is the second-to-eastmost one, five squares to the west of this one.

Destroying spawners doesn't affect the spawn rate by the way. Every five seconds a random spore makes a herder.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Kholdy

Post by Kholdy »

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I managed to went in at lvl 7 (Famer 10) and quit at lvl 9 (Farmer 16) when I couldn't take it anymore.

@minmay: How did you know that information? I thought they all spawned randomly. Did someone found out which spore spawns what somewhere?
minmay

Post by minmay »

Kholdy wrote:@minmay: How did you know that information? I thought they all spawned randomly. Did someone found out which spore spawns what somewhere?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8404

Some of the spores have a different distribution of spawned herders; the second-to-eastmost one has the best for food/XP per unit of time (it spawns no small herders).
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Azel

Post by Azel »

It's good not to stay in there too long, as you do eventually hit a cap to where leveling up no longer provides a large return.

Although I ended up just saving and logging out when I got fed up. I did it for 3 days straight until my main characters were level 15/16 and my Farmer was level 20 :P
Kholdy

Post by Kholdy »

Azel wrote:It's good not to stay in there too long, as you do eventually hit a cap to where leveling up no longer provides a large return.

Although I ended up just saving and logging out when I got fed up. I did it for 3 days straight until my main characters were level 15/16 and my Farmer was level 20 :P
Man. Like I said above, I could only stand leveling my farmer up to 16 before it was getting boring. I admire your...persistence. 8-)
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

Old thread, but I manage to survive there like, forever, by having two chars with 100% poison resistance (one from the lizardman trait, the other from the serpent's bracers).

Still super-boooooooring.
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Xanathar wrote:Old thread, but I manage to survive there like, forever, by having two chars with 100% poison resistance (one from the lizardman trait, the other from the serpent's bracers).

Still super-boooooooring.
Well that's also a working strategy :D