Strategy against Sand Wargs.

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
joachimm

Strategy against Sand Wargs.

Post by joachimm »

Has anyone found a decent tactic against these guys? It seems that shooting them with long range weapon before they howl, prevents them from attracting the whole pack, or is that just my imagination? But even one on one I haven't developed anything better than "gulp a lot of potions". All my kiting attempts just gets me bitten even more.
Phillip_Lynx

Re: Strategy against Sand Wargs.

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

An other tactic is, go away until you are stronger :)

Or be fast enough to dance around them and hit them without being hitten by them :) (<-- oops, havent read your last sentence, so forget this ;))

Also, if you can cope with one at time, use forcfield :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Sand Wargs are pretty fast and have a good chance to cause wounds making melee unpleasant. I either lead them into already cleared area or outright dance with them when i got at least 4x4 tiles to manover.

Sand Wargs are weak to poison so feeding them poison bolts while leading them somewhere weakens them considerably. When you have access to the improved poison bolt (the poison bolt that leaves a poison cloud behind on impact) combine it with frost bolt or even frost bombs to keep the warg inside the poison cloud. Add some more poison and they collaps quite fast.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I usually wait till later, but tackled early on you can use stairs to hit and run, there are stairs in the town somewhere.

If you see a group in the distance go do something else until there is just 1. When I have armor and good weapons I don't waste any time when they howl, you can get a free hit in. When most creature do an action like howl or turn you can safely move in front, attack and move sideways without getting hit.

Sometimes you can go down a lane and find 4 of them at once... just run away to another level for a while.

You can also wait in the mine compound at the mine entrance (walk like a snail one) and they will all come down 1 by 1 eventually, can thin out the later spawns this way. Hard to get trickster to come in, but he is easy after you thinned them a bit.
joachimm

Post by joachimm »

Thanks for the replies.
@ Phillip_Lynx, forcefield prevents me from hitting them as much as them biting me though, or should I place the forcefield as something to walk around?

@Dr.Disaster, I think one of my biggest problems is that I haven't figured out their dance moves yet :)

@Spathi, waiting to later is probably the sane choice. I initially thought the Bog was a high-level area and cleared Crystal Mines before it. I don't think the Bog would have leveled me enough. Perhaps I should have done the pyramid before as well. By the time the Trickster showed up I had unlocked the Hub teleport, and used a similar tactic as you describe. And boy was it needed, Trickster, ogres wargs and twin.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

joachimm wrote:@Dr.Disaster, I think one of my biggest problems is that I haven't figured out their dance moves yet :)
Oh that's rather simple; just do the square dance in a 4x4 (or larger) tile area instead of the common 2x2. Some places i use are around the fountain or the NE turtle area.
Phillip_Lynx

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

joachimm wrote:Thanks for the replies.
@ Phillip_Lynx, forcefield prevents me from hitting them as much as them biting me though, or should I place the forcefield as something to walk around?
2 posibilitys :)

1.) freeze them in it and run for healing
2.) place it so, that only 1 warg can reach you (this was the intention I meant in my first reply :))
Phillip_Lynx wrote:Also, if you can cope with one at time, use forcfield :)
minmay

Post by minmay »

you can also cast force field, then put a poison cloud inside the force field
but i just treat them like faster snakes that alert other monsters; possibly attack them during the howl, then retreat to a safe area (since other monsters just got alerted), and kite as normal, they're still slower than the party
also like every other monster in the game without see invisible/freeze immunity, invisibility/freeze makes them harmless
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I did notice some things see you along line of sight or something... is that "see invisible immunity"

They are slower than party, but it is hard to not get hit if you have to dance for ages with a low level. If you have a low level they can also do injuries easily.
minmay

Post by minmay »

see invisible means that the monster can see you if you're invisible, the same as if you weren't invisible
the only monsters with see invisible are warden, uggardian, wizard, lindworm, ice guardian, goromorg, and air elemental
every other monster is completely helpless if you are invisible, you can actually stand right next to them and they won't notice you unless they are also facing you
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.