Is the Desarune puzzle spider unkillable?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
komninosm

Is the Desarune puzzle spider unkillable?

Post by komninosm »

I delved into the Ruins of Desarune and there's a small puzzle right at the start involving an "Ice guy", but instead of releasing him and fighting him normally, I killed him with Poison Cloud , that goes through doors made of iron bars. Yeah it took a while and don't ask why I got Earth Magic which sucks, I just did. I got all 4 magic types.
My real question though is about the next puzzle in that place. It involves a locked up spider and several switches and plates. I was thinking, what if I kill that spider in this way too? Would that break the puzzle? So I tried and I did several hundred points of damage to it (I didn't count the exact numbers, but it tanked way more than the Ice guy and he could move around too), drank all my Energy Potions, but it somehow survived. What gives?
Phillip_Lynx

Re: Is the Desarune puzzle spider unkillable?

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Havent they not fixed the thing with the poison cloud through bars? I meant to have read something like that in som changelog.

But to the question, you have to drop the spider on a pressure plate, so I think this would be broken. Have to check out the coding of this riddle, but this will take a while :).
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

I checked it out, the monster is called a "walker" rather than spider, and it has 10000 health.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
komninosm

Post by komninosm »

msyblade wrote:I checked it out, the monster is called a "walker" rather than spider, and it has 10000 health.
LOL figures

I guess someone thought about this during BETA
komninosm

Post by komninosm »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:Havent they not fixed the thing with the poison cloud through bars? I meant to have read something like that in som changelog.

But to the question, you have to drop the spider on a pressure plate, so I think this would be broken. Have to check out the coding of this riddle, but this will take a while :).
Fix it? I thought it was a feature? Cause otherwise the spell is pretty damn useless.
ozthekeymaster

Post by ozthekeymaster »

If memory serves it was Nerfed in 2.13 - and yes it's useless.
komninosm

Post by komninosm »

ozthekeymaster wrote:If memory serves it was Nerfed in 2.13 - and yes it's useless.
– nerfed poison cloud’s poison effect
http://www.grimrock.net/2014/10/22/grim ... te-2-1-13/
BBOOOOO
but why?!
why nerf a near useless spell that mostly damages yourself on occasion as you sidestep?
ozthekeymaster

Post by ozthekeymaster »

Who knows? The Earth spells were nearly useless before the nerf and now they are completely useless.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The poison cloud effect was nerfed for monsters.
Before this nerf/fix the damage of monster poison clouds scaled with their level so their damage could be a bit over the top.
komninosm

Post by komninosm »

Dr.Disaster wrote:The poison cloud effect was nerfed for monsters.
Before this nerf/fix the damage of monster poison clouds scaled with their level so their damage could be a bit over the top.
oh, do you have a link where the devs explain that?