Deciphering the language and the cipher puzzle logic?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
sapientCrow

Deciphering the language and the cipher puzzle logic?

Post by sapientCrow »

I want to know where and who deciphered the LOG2 Language. As in the one in an ending scene?
Was the language common knowledge or was it leaked do you know?

Secondly I would like to ask if anyone has figured out the logic to the cipher puzzle inside the Archives/Lexiconary.
I realize someone figured out Pala and Faam and Ko. However what is the logic.

I just want to understand more and perhaps this makes sense in another language or is its truly random with leaks from testers or some other method?

thanks
eispfogel

Re: Deciphering the language and the cipher puzzle logic?

Post by eispfogel »

To find out what pala, faam and ko means you can just walk on the plates, if you hit a wall then that is a good sign that your translation was wrong ;)
I just tested out what made sense/what was walkable without hitting a wall and et voila - the gate opened.

This method will work with any language - as long as there is a sense/intention behind it and not just fantasy gibberish.
So my method is basically trial&error but i could fill out the blancs left by the archive note. The used language itself did not matter in this case. And iam sure this is just a fantasy language like Klingon.
Mr WILSOOOON look i MADE FIRE!
Thanks for the laugh Almost Human :)
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Well ...
SpoilerShow
the used language shown in the end of game actually lead to a discovery in game when deciphered.
I was just trying to figure out if the language follows a certain rule system and what it is.
SpoilerShow
And the Pala and Faam and Ko I was also trying to figure out the methodology.

E NA KO 1,2,3 (using alphabetical it does not work. Doing numerology on the letters also did not yield a logical match to their respective numbers.)

Pala and Faam (turn left and right respectively also left me puzzling a lot.)
I know today puzzles have to both have a certain trial and error or variance due to the almost instantaneous finds online. However there really has to be some logic from the designer that was followed.
I just like to know the logic process when I cant see the pattern myself.
Batty

Post by Batty »

Karinas23

Post by Karinas23 »

sapientCrow wrote:I want to know where and who deciphered the LOG2 Language. As in the one in an ending scene?
Was the language common knowledge or was it leaked do you know?
Theres an image of mount grimrock in the book in the ending scene, with the floors labeled. ANd as we know what the floors in mount grimrock are called.....
Depili

Post by Depili »

The book uses a known runic font and the letters are mapped on 1 to 1 basis, so its not that hard to decipher when the plaintext is known.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

awesome!
thanks for that.
I did not know of a way to slow down or replay that last video to look at it myself.
Depili

Post by Depili »

sapientCrow wrote:awesome!
thanks for that.
I did not know of a way to slow down or replay that last video to look at it myself.
Take a screenshot (F12 by default on steam).
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

sapientCrow wrote:Secondly I would like to ask if anyone has figured out the logic to the cipher puzzle inside the Archives/Lexiconary.
I realize someone figured out Pala and Faam and Ko. However what is the logic.
Early game I saw a sign in the Twigwood Forrest that said "AR E. UHU KO. AR E. UHU E." I didn't get it at the time, but when I reached the archives I realized they must be instructions to step left, right (or west, east,... ) etc. and numbers for steps to open the doors. I went back to the sign in Twigwood Forrest to dig around it figuring it must give instructions to something hidden. Once I found the chest I could understand AR, UHU, E and KO. Filling in the rest at the archives became very do-able after that. Maybe other people can do it directly by just trying different directions and numbers for the words...
Kirinyale

Post by Kirinyale »

I actually solved that first sign riddle myself without any hints. Just stopped to think for a while. Grimrock devs don't just put signs because they can. So it must mean something. Now, what exactly might it mean? Then, seeing as the game mechanics are not too abundant with possible actions, and there are no hidden switches around, and also looking at the pattern of the message itself, I almost immediately realised that it HAD to be some kind of directions. And when in such a game you have directions split into groups of 2 words, then one of these must be the actual, well, direction, and the other - number of steps.

The rest turned out to be super-easy once I looked at the map. From the sign, you can go either east, or west, only 1 step possible in either direction. So "AR E" had to be either "west 1" or "east 1". The second option is invalid, because after this you may only go 1 step south (except going back, which would be pointless), and the second line "UHU KO" suggested a number other than 1. By the same logic, after going 1 step west you can only go north if you need more than 1 step and that means that we already know the meaning of 2 last sentences (AR E. UHU E. = west 1, north 1). Again, looking at the map, there isn't much options as to what "Ko" might be. Although I admit that I made a mistake by thinking it's 4 once I found the chest, because I counted number of steps to the chest position instead of the tile from which I had to dig.

This solution was actually wrong in that the directions were in fact relative (left/forward instead of the east/north). But that mistake was easy to see in the archives because the puzzle is south-forward oriented and the first step is "UHU". Finding the correct meanings for 2 missing directions and 1 number was easy at that point. Although for some reason I still had a hard time deciphering PALA and FAAM for the storage riddle... Maybe because I kept thinking that the solution has to be "smarter" because some of he words came in pairs and others were "lone" (no number specified), and it actually was as dumb as mapping a word to each of the 6 control buttons...

In any case, I believe that my experience has proven that this puzzle has enough logic to allow deciphering it without any hints, because that's what I did: solved all 3 riddles before finding the hint scroll.